Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Fuzz Muff

Fuzz Muff

Mar 18, 2014
    Thanks Linnin,

As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic, I definitely will!!

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :hyper: Congratulations on being the first American to recieve a Rumble amp! In your honor you are member #108. Welcome to the Fender Rumble Club, and we look forward to your review. :)

:bassist:Rumble On! :bassist::bassist:

3. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Do the new heads come with a foot switch?

4. dream_theater

dream_theater

May 8, 2012
    Santa Barbara
    Instrumental Music
    Mine did not come with a footswitch.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No, they do not. Comes in handy if you use the Overdrive as an effect during a song. If using the 'O' to get some tube like vibe/grind for an entire tune, reaching over to push the button isn't a big deal. I have this one. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-one-button-channel-footswitch

I had forgotten that I had written a review of this footswitch on MF :) So it's there for your reading pleasure.

6. eudaimonia

eudaimonia

Jan 12, 2014
    I have now played four weeks with my Rumble 500 head and 115 cab. The good news are that it seems to be reliable. It is also very light to carry. Now, I know this is a Rumble club and I know you wouldn't want to hear, I am sharing also the bad news. The sound of Rumble 500 head is not good for Fender's reputation. Every time I have played with the head I have spended too much time trying to dial a decend sound. No luck. It seems like all the EQ knobs are operating in wrong frequences. If you turn up bass, the sound is boomy. If you turn it down, you loose all the warmth. Treble knob does nothing with the flatwound strings. When playing with the band you can turn all the bass down to get rid off the boominess. But there is something in mids, I would describe as a plastic-like. And tweaking the EQ doesn't help. The basic sound is lifeless and boring. The feel is almost like playing with digital modeler, it just doesn't feel right and the sound doesn't make you feel good.

I bought the Rumble 500 head because my Ampeg portaflex died on me. I am sorry I did. The Rumble just doesn't sound good enough however much you are trying to tweak it.YMMV but here is one very dissapointed Rumble owner. I am trying to sell it and I just hope I wll get enough to buy an used Ampeg.

7. dream_theater

dream_theater

May 8, 2012
    Santa Barbara
    Instrumental Music
    What bass are you running through it?

8. eudaimonia

eudaimonia

Jan 12, 2014
    Most of the time I play with active Fender Precision with P/J mics and roundwounds. I also use short scale Mustang with flats. The only way I get a satisfied sound out of Rumble 500 is by using Sansamp BDDI and bypassing the Rumble preamp.

9. ursus

ursus

Jul 16, 2003
    Limhamn, Sweden
    I have no problem whatsoever to get different and good sounds from my Rumble 500. I think we must have very different tone goals?

10. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    You just described "DSS"...

Dead String Syndrome...
    Lifeless, boring, no highs, flat mids, dead low end.

Flat wounds aren't known for twangy sharp highs. They're meant to more or less emulate acoustic bass. So you won't be getting a nice "slap bass pop that string" sound out of those.

When was the last time you out on new strings?

It's also possible that you got what we call a "Friday Afternoon" build.
    Like some people, it should have been opened up and rewired cause something's not right in there.

11. dream_theater

dream_theater

May 8, 2012
    Santa Barbara
    Instrumental Music
    I ran my P/J with EMG 'X' pickups and recently baked/cleaned flats and the sound was almost opposite if what you described. I was running out of an Uber 410 though, which is going to blow most cabs out of the water.

I would try running the head through a 4 ohm 410 and see what happens!

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Have I ever told y'all how much I love Fender Rumble Amps? Well I do. Pull Up a chair, 'cause I got some history for ya.

I'm as old as a Fender Stratocaster. We were both born in 1954 and are 60 years old! I've been playing bass ever since I was 16, so 44 years now. I got my first Fender in 1972, a brand new Precision. I'm a lefty, and when I found out Fender made left-handed basses, I ordered a left-handed Precision (all natural body with white neck) in 1975. I got it in late spring of 1976. I still have it, and here it is today. 080p1_zpsf11721b3.jpg

I always played all tube Fender Bassman amps. I loved their tone. In 1979 I bought a brand new Fender Studio Bass combo. 200 all tube watts with an EVM 15" woofer. I sold it to my best friend in 2005. It served me exceedingly well for those 25 years and helped me make money playing in bars and in recording studios. I made three albums (33&1/3rd RPM) with that rig and a couple of 45's (singles).

I went Fender Rumble nearly 2 years ago with the 75 combo. I LOVE it and still have it today. http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=72320 I even did some mods on it http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/upgrading-fender-rumble-75-combo-1018630/

I was totally impressed with the Fender Rumble sound. It was like an old friend, an old Fender Bassman friend, an old silver-faced Fender Bassman 100 all tube friend. Only tubes sound like tubes, but Rumbles do come close. In a squeaky clean country kind of way. A smidge of the overdrive imparts a smooth tubey vibe. It's the T!ts! ;)

Because I loved my Rumble 75 so very much, I went ahead a bought a Rumble 350 head last summer on a special sale. Later I picked up a pair of Rumble 112 Neo cabs. They Rock! What a GREAT sounding rig! Every musician that's heard it live has been flabergasted, and simply can't believe that's a Fender Rumble.

So that's my Fender Rumble Love Story. Here's a few more links you might be interested in. http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73385&hilit=tone+settings And for the tone challanged http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=89510&hilit=tonequest

:bassist: Rumbles Rock! :bassist:

13. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi, all. First post on TB. I'm doing the midlife crisis band thing, and converting from guitar to bass. So I'm needing to get geared up quickly and on a budget. I just snagged one of the closeout Rumble 350 combos, which I have up on a stand. I'm playing shortscales: a Squier VM Mustang with a Bronco as backup. I would have loved the V3 stuff, but the closeout deal was too sweet and timely to pass up.

Linnin likes this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Welcome to The Fender Rumble Club, FerruleCat! You are member #109. The Fender Rumble 350 combos are excellent sounding units and a sweet sweet bargin right now. Enjoy your mid-life crisis.

:bassist: Rumble On! :bassist:

15. mldavis

mldavis

Jul 22, 2013
    South Wales, UK
    Hi guys

I purchased the new Rumble V3 410 cab last week, which I'm going to be running an Orange Bass Terror 500 amp through. Anybody tried one of these cabs out?

Only problem is, it's not going to be delivered until the end of April due to Dawsons having to order directly from Fender, what a bummer!

16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Welcome to The Fender Rumble Club, mldavis! You are member #110. Europe is just beginning to get deliveries of new Rumbles. To the best of my knowledge no one has the Rumble 410 V3's yet, but soon. Looks like the entire line will be available mid-April same as you.

:bassist: Rumble On! :bassist:

17. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    At these prices I'm really thinking about picking up another 350 and run three of them stacked. Lol.

18. mldavis

mldavis

Jul 22, 2013
    South Wales, UK
    Thanks for the welcome.

I hope it comes sooner than the end of April, I can't wait to hear it! Lovely looking cab too.

19. Go back to the past 2 pages. I was able to get mine before they were released. I reviewed mine.
    Mike

20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Wow! That's right I had forgotten you had been blessed by a special delivery from your friendly & ever helpful Fender Rep! ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021