Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I've never heard of him. :ninja:

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Well, now you have. I should write a 'Rumble Talk' on Jay. Here he is, and you get to see Dave Lewis too.

and here he is playing a Cabronita through a Fender Rumble combo.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    and a funny bit. Jay is getting his leg pulled by his boss Senior Vice President of Marketing Richard McDonald.

Shadows Bass and GaryLC like this.
  4. todd0864

todd0864

Mar 9, 2015
    Twin Cities
    That reminds me to practice my Rock Squats!

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Jay introducing the then brand new second generation Fender Rumble combos in 2010. Heads & cabs would come out in 2011. You can see and hear why Fender Rumbles made such a huge impact.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Today’s Rumble Talk puts the spotlight on Jay Piccirillo the former Senior Bass Marketing Manager for Fender Bass Amplification. The following comes directly from chapter 27 – Fender Bass Amplification of Tom Wheeler’s book The Soul Of Tone: Celebrating 60 Years Of Fender Amps. Published 2007.

“Jay Piccirillo was brought in to head FBA in 2002. His education includes a bachelor’s degree in music performance with an emphasis in business and years of performing as a professional musician. He has held marketing positions at Cakewalk, Yamaha, and Gibson along with being a writer and reviewer at Bass Frontiers magazine and a buyer of amps and effects at retailer Musician’s Friend. He is the first person to hold the title of Marketing Manager, FBA.”

Senior Vice President of Marketing Richard McDonald gave Jay permission to use the Rumble name, but Jay stated “there was a bit of an internal battle” about it. “Sonically, the identity of FBA became ‘thick, natural, and balanced’. Our amps support the natural sound of the instrument – much like our guitar amps have always done – without forcing an artificial voicing that makes all basses sound the same.” On the success of the original Fender Rumbles: “Yes, and they’re successful on a global scale. I believe they are the most popular family of bass combos in the world.” ~ Jay Piccirillo. In 2006 Richard McDonald called the Rumble 100 “Probably the best selling bass combo in the world right now.”

Jay and the FBA R&D team with most notable engineer Dave Lewis who would go on to be promoted to Principal Engineer and co-design the second generation Rumbles in the midst of the ‘Great Recession’. First introduced in Winter NAMM 2010 with heads & cabinets following in 2011.
    For whatever reason, Jay Piccirillo would go on to a new position as Category Manager for Guitars at Sweetwater. From a Sweetwater press release dated Feb. 5, 2014:
    "Jay Piccirillo is a life-long musician and home studio owner. After serving in the Army (including being recalled in support of Desert Storm), he earned a Bachelor's Degree in Music Performance w/emphasis in Business from the University of Massachusetts, which included an internship with Yamaha Drums. He became the Product Manager at Yamaha guitars, then the Buyer for Amps & Effects at Musician's Friend. As a writer, he reviewed products and CD's for Bass Frontiers magazine.
    After discussing bass products during a trip with Fender, a new position was created and he became the first person in the company's history to focus solely on the bass category. In his 10 years as the Sr. Product Manager for bass amplification, his team developed successful products including the Rumble and Bassman lines. While in charge of bass guitars he revamped the American Standard and Deluxe lines along with the 50th Anniversary Jazz Bass and numerous artist models."

Today’s V3 Rumbles were introduced in 2014. Fender Rumbles are success after success after success. They attained best selling bass amp status on a global scale and have stayed there year after year after year for at the very least 10 years now. Indeed I have never seen any amp sell out completely shipment after shipment for well over a year as the Fender Rumble 500 combos and heads have done. It is simply unprecedented.

7. Bassplayer315

Bassplayer315 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    New Jersey
    I have a 112 cab on the way to pair with my V3 500 combo and also will only use it to add a little bottom end. I mostly play at small to medium size clubs but we have some outdoor gig's coming up w/o PA support so will need the cab and all 500 watts from my combo. I also had the same idea of adding another 112 and pick up a 500 head, but would be a purchase made from Rumble love. The 500 combo and 112 would cover all my needs.

8. Gee Phil

Gee Phil

Aug 8, 2014
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Hey Linnin,

I can't remember what kind of Rumble set up do you have.
    Do you have a couple of Rumble 115 cabinets with the Rumble 500 head?
    Or do you know anyone that has that kind of setup?

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'm poor and am running a V2 rig of Rumble 350 head into a pair of Rumble 112 Neo cabs.
    The Rumble 500 head into a pair of 115 cabs has got to be killer especially if your are looking for that vintage tube vibe without going to the expense of the new Bassman 500. One way to get a grip on the what the tone will be like (only much more of it) is to simply audition the Rumble 200 combo. Same front end (which is where the tone comes from) and identical 15" Eminence driver. The key here is the broad; smooth, and solid midrange dispersion plus powerful low end grunt. Eminence has really outdone themselves in designing such a pleasant woofer.

10. Gee Phil

Gee Phil

Aug 8, 2014
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Thanks Linnin,

I've been thinking about running a Rumble 112 and Rumble 115 together.
    And eventually adding another pair of those for a total of 4 cabs with my 900 watt head.

11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I would advise buying an identical pair of cabs at a time for coupling effect if nothing else. :cool: Rumble On! :cool:

12. Gee Phil

Gee Phil

Aug 8, 2014
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Good advice

Linnin likes this.
  13. And assuming you have 2ohm head for running 4 cabinets at a time.
    And assuming you play arenas to need all that, lol.

14. Wilton

Wilton

Jun 16, 2015
    Nil
    In terms of wars with guitar players...

I took my 500 Combo and new 210 cabinet yesterday to rehearsal and it was plenty, which was pleasing. I ran the Gain at around 1500/3pm and Master at 0100/1am. It was great to be able to hear myself, the next step is getting better at setting the EQ for when everyone is playing, that I imagine will take some practice.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  15. I'd have set the master at 1300/1pm, but that's just me.

;)

Linnin likes this.
  16. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Turn up. which forces them to turn up. basically, force them to tun up so loud they go deaf, then you get another guitarist. They're a dime a dozen anyway. :)

Bodeanly likes this.
  17. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That's whole lot of gain! Do you really need that much? Remember this is a solid state bass amp and not an all tube guitar amp where you would overdrive the power amp with high gain. Use the master to get the volume you need. By running the master higher than the gain you are going to get fuller headroom; more dynamic range, and cleaner faster transients.

18. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    re: Try before you buy - what I did was find a store with a rumble 112 combo (is that the 100?) and play through it to get a feel for the speaker. I liked it and bought the 112 cab. I also tried the 15 and interestingly did not like that - maybe too smooth, definitely not enough mid bark for me. But the 112 cab has a couple of things I like and have been looking for for years - there's a sort of "throatiness" to it that I like a lot. and the low end seems to fall away in just the right spot to tame boom. pretty easy to get a growl out of it too.
    the only thing that gives me pause is the power rating on the cab - but if I blow a speaker, I already have a 400W eminence picked out. but I've played pretty loud through even a single cab and all was well.

19. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    actually I've run my gain all the way up and adjusted the volume with the master. no ill effects. also not much tonal difference.

20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I'm just the opposite. Full gain is an ill effect.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021