1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G-Dog, Jul 30, 2019.

1. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    How about some helpful and encouraging discussions about these bass modeling amps? Not a club, just a thread where owners, users, or shoppers can ask questions or just talk about what they like, or would like to understand, about these versatile amps.

The Fender Rumble LT25, introduced in 2019, and the Studio 40 and Stage 800, introduced in 2018, are the current incarnations, and expansion, of the bass modeling amp line that began in 2006 with the Fender B-DEC 30 and continued with the Fender Bronco 40 in 2011. The Rumble Stage 800 broke new ground as a large gigging bass modeling combo amp capable of outputting 800 clean continuous watts into either one, or two(!), 8 ohm extension cabinets, in addition to it's internal speakers. The Rumble LT25 is the newest model which makes a subset of the Stage & Studio modeling presets available to the practicing, or beginning, bassist at a very affordable price.

I have owned, gigged, and enjoyed, a Fender B-DEC 30 for over 10 years. I finally gave up waiting for it to develop a problem, as an excuse really, and bought a Fender Rumble Studio 40 anyway just a few months ago. I like many, though not nearly all, of the preset sounds from the B-DEC. But I like SO many more of the Studio's presets. And the Tone App on my phone makes controlling the Studio a great deal more convenient. And, luckily for me, the same 4-button footswitch I've been using for the B-DEC works like a charm with the Studio! Fender even sent me a free magnetic overlay for the footswitch that updates the buttons' labels. Alas, I've never delved very deeply into tweaking, or creating, presets. A shortcoming of mine that, perhaps, this thread can encourage me to overcome?

What do you think?

2. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Not trying to start any crap, but I have some thoughts.

I don’t have the LT25, the Studio 40, or the Stage 800.

I do have the B-DEC-30 and the Bronco 40. I also have both the Mustang I and the Mustang V guitar amps. All of them still work just fine, but Fender no longer supports any of them.

I do still have Fuse so that I can tweak and backup the Bronco and the Mustangs. You can still download Fuse, but it is no longer supported either.

I am kind of reluctant to purchase any modeling amplifiers of this generation or really, any more modeling amplifiers at all. I figure that in a couple or three years that they will be discontinued, obsolete, and unsupported like the previous two generations.

Instead of purchasing anymore modeling amps, I decided to go a different direction. I got a good deal on, and purchased a discontinued Rumble 500 V3 Head and two discontinued Rumble 112 V3 cabinets as a backup/alternate rig to my Rumble 500 V3 Combo and Rumble 210 V3 extension cabinet. I suppose that I could also configure them as two 500/210/112 rigs also. I may have to try that just for kicks.

I know that the 500H and the 112’s are discontinued, will probably soon be considered obsolete by Fender, and that Fender will probably no longer support them either.

Based on the quality, longevity, and durability of my other Fender amplifiers, I am optimistic that both of my Rumble rigs may provide me good service for a good, long time.

Of course others may feel differently than I do. I hope everyone that has purchased or plans to purchase the LT25, the Studio 40, or the Stage 800 enjoys them and gets good service from their equipment.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

bhendrix, Haroldo and iagtrplyr like this.
  3. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Thank you for those encouraging words on the quality, longevity and durability of your Rumble amps. I also have enjoyed a Rumble 500 combo for many years, not to mention a Cyber-Deluxe and other guitar amps, without a hitch.

What kind of support do you need for your B-DEC, Bronco and Mustang amps if they still work fine, especially so many years after their warranties are up? While the LT25, Studio and Stage are under warranty I certainly expect Fender to support them, if needed. After that? Well, progress marches on. Such is the nature of consumer electronics.

Anyone else?

Tad likes this.
  4. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Good thread, ‘Dog, but I do think you should start a Fender modeling club. I’d join it. And you do have some settings you can try on your Studio 40 tucked away in the wall safe behind the portrait of Mr. Magoo in your parlor room.

Tad, as a former and current owner of a number of Rumble amps, both traditional and modeling, I hear what you’re saying. It’s the repercussion of buying into the latest technology; you’re already obsolete as soon as you get the amp home.

It’s not just Fender though. I’ve owned and own Zoom multi-effects pedals and though they offer a USB port for updates, though I’ve never seen any offered. I had not one but two Bronco 40s and enjoyed them immensely though I was not a FUSE enthusiast. Same thing as you know, zero updating as far as I remember, but I was okay with that because that left me to create what my ears liked with what I had on hand and that’s what the new Fender models will be like too.

My Stage 800 is most likely the best overall combo amp I’ve ever used and there’s so much available to mess with other than bug fixes, I don’t need a darn thing more from them. One more compressor or amp model won’t change the game one bit.

Your Rumble rig is a fine one and you’re right, you should play many a fine musical note on it, no matter what combination you devise, for a good many days. And yeah, it’s mostly retired equipment, but who cares? Look at the brands from the sixties and seventies that are still sought after by bass players.

If the modelers make you nervous then walk on by. It’s been a love/hate relationship with me too, all the way back to Line 6 Spider combos. You’re better off adding a pedal for whatever unique sound you want with your Rumble.

Finally, I’d love to read from an LT25 owner on how those combos are all about. Tone, volume, ease of use; I’m interested in what people think.

lizardking837, Tad and G-Dog like this.
  5. Tad

Tad Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    Like I said above, I wasn’t trying to start anything. You asked for thoughts on modeling amps and I offered mine. No offense was intended and I hope none was taken.

I don’t need any specific support from Fender for any of these amps.

I was initially kind of disappointed in Fender in regards to modeling amps, though. When these series of amps originally came out, Fender implied and even out right said that there would be updates and expansions, etc. Except for some initial bug fixes, none of that came to fruition, even though there was some shining on done by some Fender reps on the Fender Forums back then. What they didn’t say was that they were going to abandon each previous generation as the new generations came out.

Like you said, technology marches on. I’ve watched now these several generations of Fender modeling amps for both guitars and basses being a basically “one and done” for each generation. It’s kind of the definition of planned obsolescence.

That warranty used to be five years and then it was shortened to two years. That certainly shortens the required support cycle, doesn’t it?

Not just my Rumbles, but all of my Fender amps have been and continue to be good amps. I’ve not had one go down or blow up. I have enjoyed them all very much and learned a lot fooling with them. I forgot to add that I also have a Mustang Floor, an original G-DEC, and a G-DEC3-30.

I’ve seen other folks whose warranty period has expired and did need service were unable to get any parts or support and such. It seems that after your warranty expires, if you have a problem with the electronics, firmware, or software, you have a box or cabinet maybe with a speaker or two in it.

All that is fine as long as you understand it going in. I just decided that I was not going to stay on the hamster wheel trying to keep up with each new generation of modeling amp. Heck, I’ve not worn out any of the old ones.

That was why when just the straight Rumbles came out, I went that way. That’s just what I decided was the best path for me. I am happy with my Rumbles and that was why I decided to buy the 500H and the two 112 cabinets while I could still find them.

I’m certainly not throwing out any of the rest of my Fender amps. I just think that in the future that I will buy traditional amps rather than modeling amps. Everyone else should do whatever they think is best for them.

I do think that this a good thread and I will follow it. I’m sure that I will learn something.

I did learn about effects and such from the various modeling amps without having to buy a whole bunch of pedals and such to figure them out. The Mustang Floor was cool for that with both guitar and bass. Yeah, I plugged a bass into it and ran it into a bass cab. :)

None of this has soured me on Fender at all. Modeling amps don’t make me nervous, I just decided to walk on by as you said. I decided that for me that I wanted to go with more traditional amps and a simple pedal board.

CD28BB62-E2E0-4DA1-BEB9-F136D3BB5703.

I may add another pedal or two before I am done. :)

If I do decide to upgrade amps in the future, I think that I may just go with heads vs. combos seeing’s as how I have some good cabs.

I have good equipment that I am happy with. I don’t need anything different. Hopefully, I’ll be able to Rumble On with what I have for a long time. That was why I got an additional Rumble rig while I could still find it.

I’m a Fender kind of guy. As you can see, I like Fender stuff.

7491016F-7114-4C12-BE04-F5C1CABD26E5.

6. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Wow, you weren’t kidding about enjoying a Fender or two! Very nice room. That’s what I love about this hobby though. To each his or her own. Whatever makes you sound like you want to sound is all that matters.

On a side note, feel free to look us up at the Combo Club, post the pic you just showed here, and I’ll give you a membership number. Doesn’t cost a thing, won’t add any pounds to your waistline, and there are a bunch of really nice bass players line yourself who enjoy the genre. Even G’Dog belongs to it, though he’s rather shy.

Nice chatting with you!

Tad and G-Dog like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Many thanks for starting this thread @G-Dog! There are several knowledgeable owners in the Fender Rumble Club, but posts addressing the digital modeling combos seem to get less attention there in 1800+ pages of 37,000+ replies. I think a well focused thread such as this has been sorely needed for quite some time. As a Studio 40 owner, I look forward to the helpful posts and advice to come.

G-Dog and Tad like this.
  8. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    OK, so ..., let's get this one going:

What's your favorite preset? And why?

On my Studio, mine is, and has been for some time now, #9 "Deep Rumble"!?! I keep trying others in my jams and gigs, but I always come back to this one.

This surprises me, somewhat, because it has the punchy attack, warmth and sustain that I expected to only get from a high gain tube amp, yet it's based on a low gain class D amp. I believe I've tried similar amp settings on my Rumble 500 combo without quite the same results. I can only conclude that it must be due, in no small part, to the compressor Pre-FX and the reverb Post-FX. Does this make sense?

What's yours? And why?

iagtrplyr likes this.
  9. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I had a studio 40 and it was a nice amp
    My opinion is a little skewed as I mainly used the amp with head phones
    It is not very loud through head phones
    I did like all the features

I recently got a rumble 40 and it was a toss up between the lt25 and the 40
    The 40 won only because they were out of the lt25s
    I really wanted to hear what the 8" speaker sounded like before getting it

Best of luck to all of you with the LT, S-40 or the S-800

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I have a whole slew of faves. Some I've compiled myself. Two factory presets that are quite similar in their sparkly high end cleanliness are: #8 'Clean Focus' based on the V3 Rumble, and surprisingly enough #56 'Sunday Papers' based on the all tube 1960's Fender Dual Showman. The title 'Sunday Papers' jogged my memory just enough that I had to find it. Turns out it's a fine piece off of Joe Jackson's debut album Look Sharp recorded in 1978. Bass Player Graham Maby is totally killer in every sense of the word. No doubt there is a Graham Maby fan working on the Fender Rumble design team, and they nailed it.

G-Dog likes this.
  11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks for starting this up, @G-Dog! I will be following this...

iagtrplyr and G-Dog like this.
  12. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    I’m still having a blast with my Stage 800 that I bought last September.

In the beginning I was a little worried about how this type of amp would hold up over the long term since they have to “boot up” and rely heavily on an LCD screen.

As it turns out, I did recently have a screen blackout failure and some sound dropouts that I posted about in the Rumble Club thread.

Fender made good on it by giving me a new amp under warranty. I’m hopeful that the new one will not have any of the same issues and last a good long time past the next 14 months when my warranty runs out.

That said, I really love and want this amp to work for me. The sound and rear panel output options on this thing are incredible. Such a versatile piece of gear.

I find myself playing the Clean Bassman and the KGB 800 presets a lot. I have access and sometimes play through a GK 800RB and while I haven’t done a direct side by side comparison, it does a great job of getting that same type of sound.

I’ve read that some people find it has too many sounds and settings to fiddle with and I get that, but you don’t have to use it that way if you don’t want to (although that’s kind of what you’re paying for.) You can set it and forget it for a set, a full gig or the whole year! It’s versatile.

13. Rizillin

Rizillin

Jul 2, 2012
    Rumble 500 combo question: does the gain or main volume control adjust signal level sent to the house for line out/xlr?

14. ricardol

ricardol

Dec 10, 2016
    Presently this is one of my favourites settings for a basic tone:

Amplifier: Rockin' Peg
    Gain: 5.0
    Volume: 7.3
    Treble: 7.0
    Middle: 6.0
    Bass: 6.3
    Mid Freq: MID
    Ultra Lo: OFF
    Ultra Hi: OFF
    Cabinet: 2x15 D130
    Compressor: LOW1
    Noise Gate: LOW
    Gate Position: PRE
    Sag: MATCHED
    Tube Bias: +0,0 %

I wonder if there is a more practical way of sharing these settings.

iagtrplyr and Linnin like this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Although I do not own a phone of any kind, it is my understanding you can share your settings on the Fender Tone App and download others too. Quite an attractive option to have.

G-Dog and ricardol like this.
  16. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

To be sure, the Fender Tone Community Rumble Presets is a great way to share settings directly to and from your Studio or Stage amp with other users next door or around the world! But, before doing that, I'd like to become more familiar with the stock presets and how to tweak and save them.

But, I like documentation! (I get distracted and forget things too easily in my old age.) The PDF Presets List on the Rumble Wiki is a start, but it just scratches the surface of this extensive and complex subject. What about all the various amp settings, effect parameters, and cab selections? Is there a way to uncomplicate and simplify this mass of technological data to make it more accessible, even usable, by the less technically inclined bassist?

What's a good way to record, edit, and share presets by a less technological, more visual, method? @ricardol gives a good example with his question above. Does anyone have any other ways of doing this?

17. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Attention Rumble Stage and Studio fans:

Rumble Stage 800 owner @Droopy_TX has taken up a labor of love and expanded on the written Presets List to include ALL the parameters for all the stock presets in a user friendly spreadsheet and in easily referenced PDF files!

The files are in a Dropbox folder linked on the Rumble Club Wiki page in the Tone App Support section. And here are the Usage Notes for these files:

The Fender Rumble Club is introducing a tool to capture locally (i.e. outside of the amp storage and Fender Tone Cloud) the parameters of presets created on the Fender Studio 40 or Rumble Stage 800.

The tool is essentially a standardized template created in a MS-Excel compatible spreadsheet. The template provides a listing of the parameters for each amp model and effects module for quick and easy transcription. To illustrate its use, a complete listing of all current stock presets created using to template has been included.

The current version of the template spreadsheet, the stock presets spreadsheet, and PDFs illustrating the spreadsheet content is stored in the following Dropbox folder:
    Dropbox - FENDER_RUMBLE - Simplify your life

The Dropbox folder currently contains these four (4) files:

RUMBLE PRESET TEMPLATE (STUDIO 40_STAGE 800).xlsx
    The main spreadsheet containing the "preset builder template".

RUMBLE STOCK PRESETS (STUDIO 40_STAGE 800).xlsx
    The spreadsheet containing all of the Studio 40/Stage 800 stock presets documented using the "preset builder template".

RUMBLE PRESET TEMPLATE - PARAMETERS.pdf

PDF file showing the contents of the "preset builder template" spreadsheet.

RUMBLE PRESET TEMPLATE - STOCK PRESETS.pdf

PDF file showing the contents of the stock preset spreadsheet.

PRESET TEMPLATE BUILDER INSTRUCTIONS
    The instructions for using the "preset builder template" spreadsheet are simple:
    • Create a preset on the Rumble 40 or 800 as normal, using either the Tone App or the amp front panel.
    • Open the RUMBLE PRESET TEMPLATE (STUDIO 40_STAGE 800).xlsx file in a compatible spreadsheet application (e.g. MS-Excel, Apple Numbers, Google Sheets, OpenOffice Calc).
    • Duplicate the ‘Preset Template’ worksheet to create a new worksheet in which to document a new preset.
    In the new worksheet:
    • Name the new preset, and indicate the preset slot number, if desired.
    NOTE: Each amp and effect module uses 2 spreadsheet rows to contain the parameter label, and a field for its value.
    • For each module in your, move or copy the 2-row entry for the amp and each effect module into the the appropriate position in the MODULE section (PRE-FX, AMP, POST-FX) to represent your preset’s signal path. If use more than one instance of the same effect, simply duplicate any entries as needed.
    • Once you have populated all modules in your signal path into the MODULE section, you can either delete the rows for the unused modules for a clean look, or leave them there if you think you might change the preset.
    • Walk through each of the parameters using either the Tone App or the front panel on the amp, and manually transcribe the values of each field to the template.
    • Once you done entering the parameter values, save your work.
    NOTE: The order of the fields in the template is based on the order in which they appear in the Tone App since most people will be using the app. However, the parameter order varies between the app and the amp’s front panel. Also, some screen variances have been noted between the iOS and Android app versions. Be careful when transcribing the data. If you are not seeing some of fields in the app, be sure to check to see if you need to scroll the screen. If you are still not seeing some of the data in the app, you can always get to the parameters from the amp’s front panel.

Rumble On!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Pan Blanco, Tad, David Kerbow and 3 others like this.
  18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Amazing … Applause … Standing Ovation … Bravo! :woot: :hyper: :bassist:

G-Dog likes this.
  19. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Thanks, Linnin. Garnering your acceptance makes me feel like the tool is officially Rumble Club Approved®!!! :)

Tad, SoulReflection, ricardol and 2 others like this.
  20. jayochs

jayochs

Apr 22, 2018
    man, the funny thing is that my favorite preset.....is actually the rumble preset lol i took one of the basic rumble v3 presets, and i just tweaked the EQ a bit, maybe changed the cab, and added some gain and effects and that's what i use most on my 800. i also tweaked the redhead 4x10 one and use that a lot for some nice honky tone.

G-Dog and Droopy_TX like this.