Fender Rumble LT25, Studio 40 & Stage 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G-Dog, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Mine is, too. My "go to" preset is a modified version of "Rumble V3 Vintage". It gives me thump and drive, and it isn't too trebly. I've had the Bronco 40 for two years, and the Rumble model is a favorite on that amp, too. They sound so good for simple bass tones like R&B and classic rock. But, I also use models like the Peg, KGB, and the Monster for heavy rock/metal.

A major differentiator of the Stage 800, and one of the main reasons I got it over the 800 HD or 500c, is the fact that you can store presets. This is crucial to me. I also have a SansAmp BDDI for amp-less situations; even with that unit, I got the Deluxe model so I can have 6 stored presets.

Once I dial in a sound, I want it to be recallable in an instant. This is especially important to me for live play. We played Friday night. The first 3 songs were "Rock Candy", "Gimme 3 Steps", and "When I Come Around". I'm going from the Monster to the Vintage to a dirty Bassman in the first songs. I don't have time to fiddle with knobs, and I don't like using pedal effects if I don't have to. The Stage 800 with the MGT-4 foot switch lets me jump around as needed, especially when the BL starts calling audibles.

chupacerveza, Cyborg, G-Dog and 2 others like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    and you're the running back. You have to bull your way through. You can't afford to fumble. Fender Rumble Stage 800 for the winning score! :hyper:

Cyborg, lizardking837, JakobT and 2 others like this.
  3. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    Rumble Studio 40 / Stage 800 Owners,

I want to make you aware of a bug that currently exists within the iOS version of the Fender Tone app that affects presets using the Rumble V3 amp model.

As we were reviewing the recently announced “Rumble Preset Builder Template” spreadsheet tool, @G-Dog noticed the values for the VINTAGE, OVERDRIVE, CONTOUR, and BRIGHT switches were missing from the Rumble V3 amp definition. Upon further review, we realized that the controls for these switches were missing in the iOS version of the Fender Tone app, which is the version I used as the source to initially create the template spreadsheet. The bug is not present in the Android version of the app; it is only in the iOS version.

Subsequent to this finding, I cross-referenced the settings for all amp and effects models against the settings shown on the physical amp’s front-panel display to ensure no other fields were missing. (No other missing fields were found in the template.) Prior to publishing, I added the missing fields for the Rumble V3 amp model to the template spreadsheet, and ensured that the Rumble V3 stock preset definitions created with the template reflected the proper settings for these switches. So, the template and preset definitions published to the Rumble Club wiki are correct (as best we know at this time; please let me know if you find any errors/anomalies.).

I have submitted a fully documented bug report to Fender support, including the version specifics of the environments we tested, and screen captures showing the differences between the Android and iOS application versions. Fender has responded to the bug report submission, and has referred it to the Tone app developers; but (of course) there is no estimate on when a fix will be released.

IN THE INTERIM, there is a side-effect to the iOS app bug of which all Rumble Studio 40 / Stage 800 owners using the iOS Tone app should be aware:

Due to the missing switch parameters in the current iOS version of the Tone app, when a preset containing the Rumble V3 amp model is uploaded or downloaded from the Tone Cloud using the iOS Tone app, the values for the (4) missing switches are left in the default OFF position.

This means:

If you use the iOS app to share a preset to the Tone Cloud that uses the Rumble V3 amp, these switch settings will be set to OFF in the copy of the preset saved to the Tone Cloud, regardless of the settings in your local preset.

Conversely, Rumble V3 presets downloaded using the iOS app will have these switches set to OFF regardless of the settings in the preset saved to the Tone Cloud.​

Note: The bug does not affect the backup/restore functions (thankfully!).

This should in no way be construed as an attempt at self-promotion; but, given this bug, I would advise everyone (including Android users) to capture your critical presets by recording the parameter settings externally from the amp or Tone Cloud, regardless of whether you use the preset builder template spreadsheet, a simple text editor, or pen and paper. If you can read the parameters, you can always rebuild them by hand. If they’re saved programmatically, and you don’t realize it has been done incorrectly... well, that’s not a good situation.

I will keep the community informed of any additional information I hear back from Fender on this bug; but, in the meantime: “Forewarned is forearmed.

I sincerely hope this helps everyone.

4. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    Droop & G, thanks for “bird-dogging” this.

I mean, who would’ve thought there would be such major differences in functions affecting tone on the two O/S’s!

Here’s a chance for Fender to show the upgrade ability they proudly talk about on their sales advertisements for these amps.

chupacerveza and Droopy_TX like this.
  5. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I think functional difference is simply a result of using the wrong configuration screen for the Rumble V3 amp model. The settings aren't there; so, they're totally disregarded.

I am just guessing here, but what it looks like to me is that the developers accidentally used the "Page 2" parameter screen from the Studio Preamp amp model (which might be the default template page when developing new amps). The Studio Preamp is the only other amp that has the exact same "Page 2" parameter screen as the one the iOS app shows for the Rumble V3.

If this is correct, a fix should be easy.
    Not necessarily fast, but easy. ;)

G-Dog and chupacerveza like this.
  6. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Many thanks, again, to @Droopy_TX for creating the Stage & Studio Preset Template spreadsheet. We can use this to record the details of our favorite presets in case of the need for manual re-entry. It's great non-volatile backup! Independent of internet, cloud, or even magnetic fields (if you make a printout).

Just looking thru the PDF list gives a very informative overview of how extensive the presets are and what goes into them. Droopy also noticed how similar affects on different presets use different terminology, which I assumed was done to stay true to the different hardware brands' labeling. It's really a very impressive system!

I've asked the Fender Rumble Club in general, that we Stage & Studio owners try to give the non-modeling Rumblers there a bit of a break by channeling such techno discussions to this new thread here. NOT to jump on anyone posting a Stage or Studio preset question there, but to respectfully point them to this new thread, or Rumble Wiki, or both.

chupacerveza, iagtrplyr and rmc63 like this.
  7. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Well! Who'da thunk it? I never expected The Combo Club, of all places on TB, to start discussing stereo bass amps! But, there it is for all to see.

Which got me wondering, are there other stereo effects on the Stage, Studio or LT25 besides the few Delay Effects named and described in the Stage & Studio manual? You headphone users (not me), you settings tweakers, what stereo presets, effects, or otherwise have you found?

chupacerveza and iagtrplyr like this.
  8. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    'Dog, we're not quite the knuckle-draggers you're making us out to be. There are a few sophisticates in the club, don't ya know? Regardless, this is quite an impressive bit of work by Droopy_TX and G'Dog and it's much appreciated. In time, with some assistance from Fender modeling owners, I think it will make a real impact. Don't be shocked if Fender ends up allowing a link to be put on its site. That'd be very cool.

chupacerveza and G-Dog like this.
  9. ricardol

ricardol

Dec 10, 2016
    This is my attempt to emulate JPJ tone:
    | Fender Tone Community Presets
    The idea of the amp model came from the Eddie Kramer website, referring to the pre Zeppelin session bass player era - although the Acoustic 360 could have been used on the LZII recordings...
    The preset was available immediately after I pressed the upload icon on the Fender Tone App meaning it's uncensored by Fender:)

Nebula24, chupacerveza, B Dax and 2 others like this.
  10. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    As a new studio 40 owner, I just want to say thank you for putting down the preset details into PDF. Really helpful and appreciated!

For standard presets, I’m liking the basic redhead setting a lot . . . has the authority and presence I’m after in my bass tone. :thumbsup:

11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Boo-Yah!

12. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    All,

An update on the iOS Tone App bug affecting presets using the Rumble V3 amp model:

I got an email from the Fender support rep regarding some additional findings I provided to them. He said the digital team has acknowledged the bug, and is actively working to fix it.

An encouraging note I would add: The Tone app developers have released five revisions of the iOS Tone app in 2019, with three of the revisions coming since the start June. So, they do seem to be very active in addressing bugs and providing program enhancements.

Hopefully, this issue will be addressed more quickly than I anticipated.

chupacerveza, Tad, B Dax and 4 others like this.
  13. Thinking out loud:

Any of the 'modeling amp' builders should take a look at how Fujifilm has made continuous software updates to their various X-series digital cameras. In many cases, Fujifilm has added serious and well thought-out improvements (often based on feedback from the users) that made cameras that were pretty good at their introduction into great cameras after one or more updates. This continuous update (which they typically run for up to three years after the debut of a given piece) has made them a tremendous competitor to the other professional choices, expanded their goodwill and status in the photo community, and really improved the individual products.

This business model would well serve any of the modeling products in our world: The idea that the manufacturer is actually listening to its customers, and moving to fine-tune the product based on that feedback, is invaluable.

14. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I agree with this heartily.

I think that Line 6 and Fractal Audio System have exemplified this ongoing, customer-responsive support and development spirit. As part of their efforts to achieve this, though, they have fully embraced social media (primarily user support and gear forums (e.g. TalkBass, The Gear Page) as a means to establish a dialog and a sense of community with their customers.

Fender has always had a customer-facing presentation that is a bit stand-off-ish. The contact channels are still very impersonal. Another part of it has been their attrocious response to the end-user communications, via either direct contact or through their support forum. I am used to problem submissions or questions being met with a boilerplate, "Thank you for your email/suggestion.", and never to be heard of again.

That's why I am very encouraged by what, to me, appears to be a change in their responsiveness with this Tone app bug issue. They may be taking a page from the other companies, and realizing that a more collaborative partnership with their customer base will yield a more desirable, and better selling product.

15. Eric Jacobson

Eric Jacobson

Sep 19, 2018
    Hi folks, happy to meet other players using Stage 800 for gigs.

I would love to hear your gig experiences with this amp. I'm about to do my 4th gig and I'm still super confused about the best way to use this amp live. Only been playing for 2 years. Only amp I've owned.

I'm confused. I keep reading that one must tweak their EQ at each venue...what sounded good at rehearsal or at home may not sound good at the venue. This seems fine and makes sense for someone playing on a non-modeling amp. But what if I have 15 presets I want to use at a gig? I can't sound check and EQ 15 presets.

At my first gig, I showed up with like 20 presets on a playlist (rock cover band), I flipped through them via pedal for each song. But now I understand that is stupid. It means I would have to manually tweak each preset's EQ, right? Who has time between songs for that?

2nd gig, I tried to use the Stage 800's global EQ setting, which overrides all presets. But it was too limited. It let me cut the lows or boost the highs....no way to just boost the mids, and people complained it was still too muddy.

Third gig, my band leader said just pick one preset, he dialed in the EQ on that preset (overwriting the original preset). And I just used the same preset the whole show. Is that what other owners are doing? If so, I'm having buyers remorse...seems like what's the point of having all the cool amp models if I have to pick one for a whole night.

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If folks are complaining that it was muddy & you want to boost the mids, it seems like you could kill two birds with one stone by cutting the highs & lows, which would then seem like you boosted the mids.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  17. Eric Jacobson

Eric Jacobson

Sep 19, 2018
    Yeah, that would make sense. The problem is, The Global EQ is an "OR". Instead of giving a virtual set of global EQ knobs, the global EQ merely allows you to pick one (and only one): Bright Boost, Bright Cut, or Low Cut.

For my last gig, I picked Low Cut. After sound check, my BL said "sounds terrible", just pick one preset and we'll override the EQ knobs for that preset...he proceeded to dial in a swoop pattern.

ricardol likes this.
  18. OldPlucker

OldPlucker Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    Day 3 of my used Studio 40 has been frustrating. Since day 1 I have been attempting to update the firmware. The current version is 1.0.2. I have the amp WiFi connected to my network via the amp setup. When I go to WiFi through the menu is shows connected; however, when I follow the directions for Updating the Firmware (turning off the amp and restarting while holding down the encoder button for 5 seconds) the amp says searching for updates then tells me their is no wifi. The Tone app can't be used because it says I need to update the firmware. I haven't been able to locate any help on the Fender Forums either. I can't believe this is a unique problem to this specific amp. Anyone know of a workaround solution?

Attached Files:

19. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    When you’re at the WiFi / Bluetooth screen press the encoder button while WiFi is highlighted. It should then load all nearby WiFi networks and you should be able to see yours highlighted with a green dot by it. If not, you’re not yet connected to your WiFi.

Once you are you should be able to update amp to Version 2.0.11.

chupacerveza and OldPlucker like this.
  20. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    If you’re going to play a gig with that many different amp sims, EQ’s, & cab sims well then, yeah, you’re going to have tweak each one of those if they’re that different.

You have a Bass, Mid, & Treble knob on top you can use for fine adjustments. There’s also the Tone app.

Sounds like your BL had the right idea to help get you through the gig. What would you have done with any other amp?

You’re going to have to put in the time and get your presets tweaked and sounding the way you want in a whole band setting. This is not a bad thing. This is the fun part.

Your Stage 800 is an incredibly versatile amp. It will do things other amps can’t come close to doing. How you choose to use it is up to you. Experiment and tweak the presets to your liking and have fun doing it. You’ve got a great amp.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021