1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Rumble V3 100 speaker up-grade ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    A while back ago I noticed some mentions of Rumble V3 100 owners upgrading the single 12" driver, I did the search thing but could not re-find the recommended 12" speaker.

What speaker is the upgrade model ?
    Why do the upgrade ?
    What difference does the speaker create ?
    Does it make the Rumble 100 even louder ?

I have a Rumble V3 100,, and also the Rumble V3 500,,, when I use my 100 at rehearsal's I do notice my Rumble farting out a bit when I'm hitting my low B string (I absolutely love both my Rumbles though).

I've also considered getting the GK MB112 if the Rumble 100 can't be beefed up with a speaker upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Davyo

LoveJackBruce likes this.
  2. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    Hi, I also own several Rumbles and love 'em too! You mentioned having the 500 as well and that keeps up with a drummer no problem. Although you could put an Eminence Basslite in that amp, you're still stuck with the 100 watt internal amp. I suspect the Basslite would be more efficient and have better bass as it has very high xmax rating (5.2) and handles 150w rms. For less than $100 I doubt you'll find a better speaker. www.Usspeaker.com has them in stock and I'm sure Al over there would have some input on that matchup.Good luck, let us know how you make out!

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Agree with @mikecd1. Eminence Basslite S2012 neo is your best choice for the Rumble 100. I put one in my Rumble 75 and it is killer. Be sure to line the cabinet while you are at it.

4. Geezer5

Geezer5

Sep 8, 2017
    Help! I'm not sure if I should start a new question or add to this question about a new speaker, so as you guessed the latter won out.

I love my Ruble 100 v3. My question is if the amp will push a 4 ohm speaker and maybe supply 150 watts, making this a brilliant idea, or if pushing 4 ohms will fry the amp making me an idiot. I know how most people would vote about me (hehe), but I want to know about the amp. If I don't get a reply I'll know to start a new question.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    I think that is an excellent question....Does anyone have an answer?

6. I think whatever impedance the speaker is that's in there from stock, is the lowest ..the 100 Rumble can safely operate at.

LoveJackBruce likes this.
  7. I’d agree.
    Amps that have no provision for an add-on speaker are usually at their recommended design max as they are.
    For an amp to operate (safely) at 150 watts, it needs to be a 150 watt amp.
    Usually 4/8 Ohm amps drop the design powered output from max rated at 8 Ohms.
    You cannot assume that an amp that is rated for 100 watts, will support higher power at lower impedance.
    At least for very long.

Upgrading to a different speaker of the same size may get you a little louder, or it might go the other way.
    If you really want to make a screamer out of your 100 watt, 8 Ohm amp, get a 2 x 12 (or 2x15) 8 Ohm cab, disconnect the combo’s internal speaker and use the external cab.
    If you’re clever, install a switching jack so that when the ext cab is plugged in, it disconnects the internal speaker.

8. I vaguely remember reading this in a thread here too... that it is already at its 4 ohm min.

chupacerveza likes this.
  9. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I am also looking into a upgrade for the 100v3, just for fun I pulled the OEM speaker out just to looky see, its a Eminence , with a funky magnet, has a hole in the back with screen in it, never seen one like this before, sent a bunch of info to Eminence Tech to get the spec's, also just to rock your world the OEM speaker is a bit larger than a standard 12" woofer, I have Basslite 12 in the office for 75 project, and you will have to either mode the speaker or re drill new holes for a fit, which is a shame due to the Factory uses4mm x 25mm bolts with metric T nuts (metric) for great solid seal. 12 WOOFER BACKSIDE.jpg

10. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    Thanks for the info and the PICTURE, BassBeginer64. I've wanted to pull it out to look at it also. How much does that speaker weigh? Do you know any specs....Voice coil, magnet weight, etc? So the Basslite 2012 will NOT easily replace this existing Eminence? I'm going to keep my Rumble 100 stock and enjoy it for what it is, if that is the case.

chupacerveza likes this.
  11. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    The Fender 100V3 Speaker Specs I received from Eminence - Please see attached Doc. Fender 100 v3 Speaker Specs DG12-12-034-page-001.jpg

12. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    The Basslite Specs attached Basslite_S2012-page-001.jpg

chupacerveza and KenPompanoBeach like this.
  13. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Beta_12A-2-page-001.jpg Beta_12A-2-page-002.jpg Beta_12A-2-page-001.jpg And the Beta 12-A Specs to compare , again these were the upgrades that Eminence suggested.

dralionux likes this.
  14. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Well what the heck , I went ahead and upgraded the 100V3, went with a Beta 12A2, I was not worried about the weight, Oh No! it increased by 3 lbs LOL, No the Basslite will be for the 75 Rumble upgrade, I had to mod the outer speaker frame, no worries only took about 25 mins with air die grind tool, just swooped the sides where the screw bolts go in, made them flat so the top of the screw bolts can lay flat and straight, hate doing a half ass job and putting screws or bolts at an angle drive me crazy must be the OCD, well I wish I could record the old speaker vs the new one, be a great "You Tube" post, But WOW! what change! the speaker works great, seems fuller, louder, been playing with the overdrive and bass tuner turned full almost too loud past 3/4 volume, love it! hey for 70 bucks , this is a great up grade for down the road or hey I am bored what can I mess with day, I only lined about less than half the cabinet with acoustic foam, like to hear from others when they try this and hear back. Fender 100v3- Beta 12 Woofer .jpg Fender 100v3- Beta 12 Woofer .jpg Fender 100v3 Insul 02.jpg , mainly the sides and about less than 1/2 the back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  15. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Better view of how I notched the Beta speaker frame, again it took no time and you can see how the OEM Bolt Heads over hang just a bit, I get a great solid seal (Speaker has a Gasket on each Side), the factory T nuts embedded in the cabinet let you get a good solid bite just like the factory speaker did with OEM screw bolts you dont have to worry about stripping the the threads, well just snug screws not go all Tontor Tight! Fender 100v3- Beta 12 Woofer .jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  16. dralionux

dralionux

Feb 3, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    The Beta 12A-2 sensitivity is 98 dB, 5.4 dB more than the stock driver.

17. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    Awesome detailed description of you mod, BB64 !! THANK YOU for the detail, speaker info, and pics. Too bad that Beta 12A-2 doesn't slide right in....I'm uneasy doing what you did.

Instead of altering the rim of the new speaker, could someone drill new holes in the cabinet ?
    Are those wood screws or bolts? Do you think some quality wood screws would hold that speaker in securely?

Do you think the Beta 12A-2 you put in should sound BETTER than the Basslite 2012 in this cabinet?

If you WANTED to do a before/after sound comparison and post it here and/or utube, you could take your modded rig to Guitar Center and borrow one of their Rumble 100's.

chupacerveza and LoveJackBruce like this.
  18. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    t-nut-stainless-steel.jpg PIC OF A T NUT

The Fender 100V3 uses phillips head bolts 4mm x 25mm .70 pitch with T Nut, You can can always drill some pilot holes and use wood screws to install the woofer, I was going to go that route, but I wanted to use the OEM fasteners, I went with the Beta 12A-2 from conversations with the Eminence Tech about which speaker to use, the Beta and the Basslite are very close in the same on sound, the Basslite was like 30 to 40 bucks more so I went with the Beta I was not worried about weight increase. But I am going with the Basslite on the Rumble 75 up grade.
    Reason for Baselite in the Rumble 75 is that it is rated at 150-300 watts where the Beta was rated at 250-500 watts, the Baselite would be great in either Amp, I wanted to rate the each speaker to each amp due to Wattage Peaks.
    This is where I was talking about both speakers.
    eminence beta-12A-II vs. Basslite S2012

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  19. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    Thanks again, BB64. Love the detail you provided and all the pics and charts!
    My 66 year old back wants the absolute lightest cab I can come up with, but I couldn't imagine how a 4 oz neo magnet could replace a 38oz ceramic manget. Hunting online for information I found THIS video.....and I now understand it's all about "pulling power". I'm now a beliver......and will be ordering the Baselite S2012 when I return from vacation.

20. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    20181008_165242.jpg 20181008_170822.jpg 20181008_165301.jpg 20181008_170822.jpg I upgraded MY Rumble 100 today using the excellent Eminence Basslite S2012.It has outstanding specs as BassBeginer64 has provided us. USSpeaker.com corrected the neo magnet weight at 7 oz...more than enough pulling power. I lined the inside of the cabinet with 2 sheets of 1/2 " Sonic Barrier (Parts Express).It cut easily with scissors and the adhesive on the back held it securely.
    The contacts slide on and off....but FIRMLY and I used a pair of plyers to get them off. 20181008_143425.jpg White + on right, Black - on left.

Unfortunately, OEM Eminence 12" Speaker is SLIGHTLY LARGER than the new Eminence Basslite S2012 !!! Instead of grinding down the rim of the Speaker as Bass Beginer64 did, I rotated the speaker 22.5 degrees and used large head wood screws (#10 × 3/4 ") to solidly secure the speaker in place.

The total weight of the Rumble 100 decreased .7 pounds......from 21.3 to 20.6. REALLY light !!

The SOUND is GREATLY IMPROVED. I loved my Rumble before, but now all notes including those on the E string are clear with NO HINT of distortion that I was getting before. All notes are more articulate.....clearer.....in general, a higher quality response. The lows are just as deep and warm as before....but now as clear as the rest of the neck. I am TOTALLY glad I did the upgrade....

Ironicly, the day before the new speaker arrived I had an opportunity to purchase a Rumble 200 .....and couldn't resist. I'm keeping BOTH......

How do the two amps now compare ? Well, the Rumble 200 already comes with an outstanding 300 watt 15" Eminence.....the same one they use in the Rumble 115 cabinet....and the 140 watts going through it sound more OPEN and of course LOUDER...as it should...than the Rumble 100. The larger/louder gigs will get the 34.5 lb Rumble 200....but the upgraded 20.6 lb Rumble 100 SHOULD be able to handle just about any situation also....with a more restrained response. It's nice to have a choice...........................

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021