Fender Squier J Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loldrummer, Apr 30, 2012.

1. loldrummer

loldrummer

Jun 20, 2011
    Hello XD,
    I'm a beginner bassist, I've been posting here not much because I've been busy and stuff XD.
    I've bought my first bass like almost 4 and a half months ago I think, And It's a Fender Squier J Bass.. Now I wanted to ask you, Is Fender Squier J bass a really good bass? As in, Can I use it for a long time? Because this may sound weird, But I don't like changing Equipment.. It's really hard to explain XD. I Really like the Fender Squier J bass.
    But to you as experts of the bass, Is it a good bass? Or It's just a good beginner bass?
    And would you gig with it and play with it a lot?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. And Please excuse my unworthy English XD.

2. loldrummer

loldrummer

Jun 20, 2011
    Bumpty bumpy bump.
    Hope it's okay to bump cause I really need help XD

3. There's ALOT of Squier fans here. My suggestion (since you're a beginner bassist) is to play the hell out of it, and learn as much as you can about playing and setting it up.

As you progress as a new player, you'll have a better idea of what to look for in your next instrument.

For now, enjoy the one you have and learn as much as you can about it, and how it works.

4. Of course it's a good bass. It's not the most expensive - but that's not a true criteria anyway.

If the neck doesn't fall off and you like the way it feels - then you should get years out of it unless you use it as a weapon in a bar fight.

Learn to do a real setup - string height, intonation, neck angles and p'up height, etc., and you'll be miles/sillymeters happier.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Ok well, I have a Sadowsky bass that would cost me close to $5k to replace.

I have an old Tobias Classic 5 that carried a new retail price of close to $6k

I also have a Squier Active Deluxe Jazz 5 that I got new for...$260.

That Squier is a fine instrument and I'm happy to play it without any excuses.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Is it a Squier by Fender or a Squier Affinity? A Squier by Fender is a high end entry level bass, and Squier Affinity is an entry level bass. I wouldn't change anything until you've been playing for at least one year though.

Some people on here will tell you their Squier is as good as any American made Fender, some people will also tell you changing strings is a yearly thing and behringer is high grade product, lot of opinions to choose from.

7. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    there are several different models of Squier Jazz's, some have better components than others, and some have a better natural 'feel' as with any bass brand, model, etc ... with that said, as mentioned above, if you like it, that is what matters .. period.

If after you have time under your belt, you find something else you like or your situation changes that you need something else, go for it ... but, if it feels good to you and covers the situation you are in, whats not to like ? ...

... and yes, I started playing in the late 60's, have had Fenders from that era as well as the 70's and more current Fenders ... I currently have about 5 Squier Jazzes in the house (or at least parts to put them together) and if I go out the door to play it is usually a couple of them that go with me ... I dont have to worry about them, and if needed I have usually modified them to make them work in the situation very inexpensively ... some of these Squier J's have my favorite neck profile of all time, on any bass, and just feel right to me ... everything else is changeable ... JMHO, but with all due respect, you will know if you need to change :)

8. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio

The Affinities say “by Fender” on the headstock, as well.

9. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I have 3 squier affinities, and I love them all. I have an MIA fender, but the Squiers sound (almost) as good. I like them because they are a nice test bed for things. I learned setups on my squier. I plan on another one for pickup experiments.

If you're happy with your squier, why change it? Maybe after some time a Fender might be a nice upgrade, but take your time to learn your squier inside and out.

10. The Affinity is the lower grade of the Squier line and even it, is a decent bass for the price you pay for it. Don't try to compare the quality of a $200 bass with a $2,000 bass. For the beginning player, the Squier line is a fine choice. If you continue with your playing, you will learn more about the different basses and what appeals to you. For now, enjoy what you have.
    Rocky

11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    You'll always get more bang for buck by avoiding Squier or Fender - there's a large premium to be paid for the name.

12. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    A “good beginner” bass doesn’t mean it isn’t, or can’t become a
    “good bass”.

They can also be upgraded, modified to taste, and grow with you.

You could *potentially* play it for the rest of your life.

13. Gimme4

Gimme4

Feb 27, 2011
    Love your user name! Drummer here too. Your squier will give you back all the music you give it,just keep it in good shape,& it will last for years. No matter what other basses may be in your future,you never forget your first. What's "XD" ?

14. KCLRbass

KCLRbass

Sep 5, 2011
    Toronto
  15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    nice clip KC ... I dug the groove

16. KCLRbass

KCLRbass

Sep 5, 2011
    Toronto
    Thanks!

17. It will last you as long as you can play it, and with a bit of loving care and an occasional setup, should sound as good as the day you bought it. In fact if you take real good care of it, it would probably outlive you.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021