1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Starcaster (the modern player series reissue)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Makt13, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Makt13

Makt13

Nov 5, 2017
    I have a Fender Starcaster (the modern player series reissue) and I'm thinking about replacing the pickups and/or the pots because of the muddy tone which is a common complaint for this bass.

Does anyone have any experience or advice of replacing the pickups or pots on a Starcaster bass?

2. Does it look like this?

a3ff79cfd9da50690f2e82ef51e2ebc2.

EdwardofHuncote and nixdad like this.
  3. Makt13

Makt13

Nov 5, 2017
    Yeah that's the one

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Not a reissue.
    The Modern Player Starcaster bass was the first time it was ever a Fender catalog product you could buy
    Prior to that there were only two or three prototypes back when they made the Starcaster guitar.

5. Makt13

Makt13

Nov 5, 2017
    Thanks

6. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Beautiful basses.
    A friend plays one and I know he did some re-wiring.
    I'm honestly not sure whether it was to improve a muddy tone but I'll find out.

He does play in a vintage rockabilly band so it's quite possible he likes the muddy sound!

nixdad likes this.
  7. Makt13

Makt13

Nov 5, 2017
    That would be great, thank you!

8. Don't change out the pickups just yet.
    Some Ibanez Artcore users simply changed the pots in their similar basses & it fixed their mud problems.
    See if you can figure out what the value of the existing pots is.

Just for reference, this is a Artcore:

512564000332000-00-500x500.

9. Makt13

Makt13

Nov 5, 2017
    Thanks for the advice, I've been told the pots are 250k

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. I'd switch them all out for 500k Ohm pots & possibly change the capacitor as well, depending on what value is in there.

11. Makt13

Makt13

Nov 5, 2017
    I'll give that a go rather than replacing the pickups, thanks for the advice! I'll post here to let you know how I get on.

Aqualung60 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I gig my Starcaster and haven't found too much issue with mud. I usually eq my amp settings at 1 or 2 o'clock for everything and set both tone knobs at 7 and I get pretty good honk out of her or switch to neck pup for mud or rear for some twang. I really like the sounds she makes, but I don't use pedals or such, so there could be a difference.

Attached Files:

Border and DirtDog like this.
  13. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've been curious about the Starcaster, but have never found one out in the wild for me to try before I buy. My main concern is a lot people have mentioned that it's fairly heavy. I would have hoped that a semi-hollow wouldn't have that issue. Otherwise, everything else looks great on paper!

nixdad likes this.
  14. If you want to check their weights,,, go to SW's page for the bass:

Fender Starcaster Bass - Black

hit the "Notify Me when it's in stock" button.
    SW posts the weights of the items in stock.

Band Mom likes this.
  15. Band Mom

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I had looked it up on SW before, but I didn't see anything about the weight. And even if I knew, I'd like to get a feel for where the weight is distributed when holding it upright. But hopefully I'll get to try one out someday!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I've been playing the Starcaster bass for a few months now. At least a dozen gigs under my belt with it. I don't find it heavy but it is bulky (no belly or forearm cut might not appeal to some). I wouldn't call it muddy so much as "round and wooly" if that makes sense. I prefer the middle pickup position (both bridge and neck pickups engaged). If it want it more "grindy", I just run the bridge. But I guess it depends on the type of music you're playing.

It's not the perfect bass, but it's pretty damned cool looking and cool sounding, to me....

It hangs fairly balanced for me. Maybe a tiny little bit of neck dive.

nixdad, Old Blastard and Band Mom like this.
  17. I tried a few, and yeah they are heavy. Plus a bolt on neck on a semi acoustic just doesn’t feel right to me. Have you looked at the Jack Casady? 34” scale, set neck and about 8lbs.

Band Mom likes this.
  18. Band Mom

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've glanced at the Casady online, but have also never seen that one in stores. I suppose I never really looked at it much because I prefer the versatility of two pickups, but I'm just now reading about the Vari-gain toggle, which sounds interesting. I might need to broaden my search.

19. I haven’t worked on a hollow body like these before but have seen guys on YouTube working on them, and it looks to be a severe pain in the ass to literally fish the electronics in and out of the things. Have you tried stainless or other bright oriented strings yet?.

Old Blastard likes this.
  20. Yeah, these types of instruments are one of the reasons why I couldn't be a stringed instrument repair dude.

Old Blastard likes this.