fender starcaster??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Nov 10, 2011.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I've never heard of them before but I see one new for 189$ and on the picture it looks like it has jazz pickups. Can someone tell me a bit about these? Are they complete crap? Do they sound and feel like a j-bass? Where are these made?
    Thanks!

2. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Its a shame they use the Starcaster name, as the Starcaster was a cool '70s hollow guitar.

Starcaster is a name Fender are using for sub-Squier (now that Squier make decent equipment) instruments distributed to retail firms like Argos here in the UK. Looks like a totally un-noteworthy Jazz bass copy. I'm sure its acceptable.

3. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    sub-squier? oh dear...

4. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I mean, Squier are no longer just making beginner basses, and their prices are creeping to match this. A cursory glance at Google shopping shows Starcaster stuff is not that widely distributed. I understand the stuff is AXL equipment made in China and branded Starcaster. AXL stuff is good, quite a lot of their stuff comes with licensed EMG pickups.

5. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    There was, however, this... The companion to the Fender Starcaster guitar, but it seems to have remained in prototype.

] 2377477StarcasterBass.jpg

6. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Individual mutes would be good to counteract between-string discrepancies on cheap flatwound strings!

7. I have a major GAS leak.

WHY. WOULDN'T. FENDER. PRODUCE. THAT. BASS?

What does the headstock look like?!

8. Steven1207

Steven1207

Sep 27, 2010
    caster7.jpg

That's the guitar headstock, the bass is basically the same.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021