1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Upgrade question.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AHbassist, Aug 14, 2007.

1. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    I love the sound of Fender amps and basses. I have an American Hot-Rodded P that I use through a Rumble 100 1x15 combo.

The amp gets the job done when paired with my MXR Direct Box, and I hadn't planned on an upgrade until today. I played a Fender Bassman 250 amp through a Fender Bassman 4x10. I used a Squire frettless and it sounded pretty good. I hadn't even thought about buying it until I saw the price(s): $250 each, regular $399. Apparently they'er on clearance and are no longer shipped to stores in my area.

My only question: It's only 250 watts, how smart is it to buy it as a seperate head and cabinet? Should I look at more power? Do I really need more power?

2. I got a little lost in your post...but uhm....

nail your tone down

and then maybe invest in a power amp perhaps.

that way, you don't have to compromise/power and tone.

sorry I couldn't be more helpful, maybe u could elaborate a little?

3. Depends on what style/size etc gigs /stuff U play.... The 250 combo IS a NICE amp IMHO. & U can always go thru PA if needed more FOH volume. Can U run a separate/extra cab from it as well as the internal spkr? If not & U do play loud stuff....may be worth checking out the higher wattage Bassman....or the 300PRO!!!!!!!!

4. i want the 8x10 Fender cabinet....

ooooohboooooooy

:D

5. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    sorry, basically should I buy a bassman 250 amp and a bassman 4x10 at $250 each?

6. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    actually its the seperate head and cabinet (4x10)
    but yea loudness isn't the issue at all, it just sounded so nice and the price was something I could live with. Tube amps are to warm for my taste tho:smug:

7. OHOHOHOH

okay gotcha

yes defnitely, go for it :D
    the price is right, and it's all modular right?

go for iiiit :bassist:

8. Sorry.....as I've said 2 many on here @ TB... I'm ALWAYS in a hurry:mad: -not s'posed 2 be on net at work :bag:
    If U like the sound....good price, they're NICE amps. These the ones w/ the 'room balance' control? I like 'em.:bassist:

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    It sounds like a good deal to me. Plus, you can add another 4x10 or 1x15 cab later if you need to move more air.

10. +1 Mr Islander!

11. if you are getting away with the 100watt rumble at the moment, the 250 and the 410 will give you better volume and tone. IMO do it!

12. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    thanks for all the suggestions, I shall buy it asap

13. hope U like it! Be sure to come back here & tell us yr opinions. Good luck!

14. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I have Fender Bassman 410 and 115 cabs and have a Fender Bassman 250/115 combo (which I have used at 200-300 crowd gigs and it works great!) Love the tone of this amp.

I liked the sound with other heads I had running into the Bassman 410 and 115, but I am not happy with running a Bassman 300 Pro which I have now and looking to get another cab(s). They don't seem to handle the big balls this tube amp puts out. They respond but lack the Low Notes.

Either way I also have a Rumble 60 for home practice, very easy to use, and back when I first started to play my first Bass amp to play out was a Fender BXR 300C with a 15. The 15 ripped and replaced it with an EV-Proline...WOW what a difference that made.
    But now the Bassman Combos and cabs come with Eminence speakers which hold there own.
    YOU will be very happy!!!!:hyper:

15. Man, I'll tell you, the tone out of these things is great, but they just aren't powerful enough for me.

To play 100+ venues without PA support is next to impossible for me without clipping the amp. I can't run the Pre-Gain (Volume) past 11 o'clock without clipping, and around 12-1 o'clock on the master before clipping. Its just not loud enough. Maybe the solution will be fixed with something like a 4x10/1x15, but the 2x10 Combo and 1x15 Cab aren't loud enough.

16. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    Aight so I bought the amp and 4x10 yesterday. Overall I'm very happy with it. The room balance is a very nice touch, and the semi-parametric eq was killer to put it lightly. I'm havin a hard time figuring out the effects loop, but I can just direct-in for now. I appreciate all your suggestions once again.:D

-------edit------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so it was like 5 in the morning, my reply really didn't offer a valid opinion of the product, so lets try this again.

This is a great looking amp first of all; it just looks mean! I love the compression ratio knob, mainly because it actually does something. I've never played an amp where compression was actually worth anything. The treble response sounds very crisp, the low end could use some work, although it could be because I prefer a treble-ish sound. The feedback is very minimal, except on my lower-quality basses, but that is more of an issue with the bass than the amp. The semi-parametric eq allows me to get just about any sound I want, while the room balance allows me to deal in the right amount of punch.

As for the cabinet, it's decent. Maybe I'll go ampeg when I need a new one. Although I did get it for a good price, so I shouldnt complain. As with the head, it's built very sturdy.

17. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA

yea I noticed the amp clipping a bit when I had the low mid cranked, but luckily thats not exactly my style. On my hotrod (which is a P+J setup) I use mostly the bridge J pickup. That and the high mids set little louder than the low mids.

18. Well, I actually have my low mids set to 800, with a very mild boost, my high mids at 1.5, boosted liberally, treble flat-2 o'clock depending on string life, and bass boosted to maybe 2 o'clock.

I don't do anything crazy with is, it just seems to overload too eairly. I hope that you get much better luck with yours than I did mine. Cangrats on your purchase.