Fender Victor Bailey Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyjacks, Dec 13, 2004.

1. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Anybody have any playing experience with Fenders Victor Bailey signature Bass? Looking for playability, sound and setup information and overall chracteristics.
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have one and it's one funky mother! Workmanship is top notch and the sound is unlike any jazz bass I've ever heard. The pups (mine has noiseless) cut through any mix situation and do record fantastically well. I have had more compliments on this bass than any other bass I own! The pre-amp is crystal clear even completely boosted in all ranges. This bass is a thump and poppers dream! even if your a soloist this is the bass for you! I ordered mine from Fender sight unseen and the moment I played it I knew it was a keeper. If you like jazz basses you owe it to yourself to try one of these, especially if your playin da funk!
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I own one. One of the nicest jazzes I've played/owned. The preamp is really musical and natural sounding. The bass is warm and round, but very detailed, esp in the mids. Fast finger style is tight and responsive. Very good but not super sizzly slap tones there too (which I like). Construction is superb, playability fine, you can set it up fairly low, but not dead nuts low (on mine at least).

Highly recommended.
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Played one for a 1/2 year, had to "break it in" for another bass player (don't ask, it's really stupid, but what the hell, I got to play it for free!). Extremely cool bass, as others have said above the noiseless pups are beautiful and the tone is very "musical". As for me, though, I didn't find it to be as funky as some of my other basses, but that might just be my own personal taste.

It is a great bass, but ..... maybe a little pricey?
  5. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I have played it and it was damn'er every thing my Tobias is which is why I can't wait for the 5 string version in Jan 05.which tells me if Fender really wanted to tackle the if-you-will high-end market they could, and it would blow the doors off of anything out there.
  6. Does anyone know whether the Victor Bailey fender Jazz comes also as fretless. I think it should because that is what Bailey plays but I could not find it on the fender web site. And do you have any ideas as to what would be the price?

Any help greatly apretiated.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I played one a while back, and while I can't remember much about it, I do remember liking it very much. Beautiful instrument, and it was very playable. I can't comment on range of tones, as I was mostly slapping, but I definitely enjoyed it.
  9. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    What fretless bass does he play because each time that I got to see him he was playing his Koa body Pensa Shur,and I saw him when he 1st got with Weather Report,he was playing a mid 70's Fender Jazz.
  10. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Upon speaking with Victor, the Bailey will come in a fretless and a 5 string version (Fender is working on it), by next NAMM (Or did he say the one after, I forget :p)
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I auditioned one and gave it a good look over. Overall, construction and setup is excellent (compared to Fender's usual standard, anyway). It's small and the neck is fast, but it still feels very sturdy and well-built. The koa's not as highly figured as some of the early press photos.

The preamp, as others have said, is very detailed in the mids. The instrument places slightly greater emphasis on lower-mids and less emphasis on upper-mids than a traditional Jazz bass. Great for soloing - but not the sort of thing to hide bad playing!

One thing I didn't like: the weird gold embossed signature on the headstock.
  12. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I love mine and it has been my main gigging bass for almost half a year. The tone is rich and it is easy to dial in a great sound for each situation you are in. I don't use my amp EQ anymore because I can use the three band that is onboard and have the sound I need. The construction is awesome and the neck plays like butter. The rolled edges of the fingerboard make it feel like a classic and it sounds as good as it looks.
  13. Gee Thanks