1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FenderBird question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Mar 18, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Once quick question: On a Epiphone T-bird body, how much modification is required to take a standard Fender type neck? I have a line on a Epi-Tbird kinda cheap and was considering it...

thx

2. No help, but I hope it's not the one I have my eye on. I'm in the mood to try something different and the T-Bird's 2 humbuckers look kind of interesting.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I think the epiphone has a squared off heel. To make it fit right you may have to remove a little bit of wood.

4. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Alas, someone beat me in the auction. $147+ tax.

But there is no such thing as a one time only good deal. Another time...

5. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm going to build one. Probably get my neck and body from warmoth and have them cut it to the specs.
    Fakefenderbird?

6. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've read some *very* not-good things about how Warmoth shapes their T-bird bodies. Do your homework first, brah - I suggest a search for "Warmoth" and "Thunderbird" - that's why I was looking at an Epi to work with.

7. Ah, so you're the one who bid $145, right? That was the one I was looking at!

Small world.

8. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, someone bid *just a hair* more. I figured with local pickup (saving $35) but sales tax (~$12) I'd pay $160 total for a epi t-bird... but no more, given that they can be had new pretty damn cheap. And I *need* another bass like a foot surgery...

9. I was going to go up to $175 shipped since you can get a brand new one for $299 shipped, cheaper on a good day.

I don't "need" another bass either, but I probably don't need six of the seven I have. The problem would be deciding which one I do need.

10. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm down to 4, three of which I play very regularly... plus a warmoth tele guitar I can't seem to put down... I mostly figured that for those beer-rock pickup gigs, a fenderbird would be a nice statement...

Alas. Where there was one for $147, there will be one for cheaper.

11. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Good call, I'll have to look into it. Either that or get a cheap tbird and fix it up with a jazz neck. that would make it a real fenderbird.

12. Yep. Next time I'll check to make sure I don't bid against you too.

:)

13. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Now, THAT'S the way to go - but that's $$$. However, I have read that t-birds *do* have a bad habit of breaking necks, so you never know. That really WOULD be the way to go - particularly if you could put a real fender neck on - go all vintage Entwistle & stuff...

14. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    its much easier to just shape the heel of the neck to fit the Epi pocket - you can work slowly and stop to test fit, this one has an inexpensive J bass neck.

NikkiBird003.

birds007.

Fenderbird005.

15. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    see, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about: Big old shiny humbuckers, black-block neck... Sweet.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's probably smaller than you think. My guess is that we're buying from, selling to or bidding against other TalkBass members all the time.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That looks way cool, but is the distance from the nut to the 12th fret the same as from the 12th fret to the bridge? Unless my perspective is way off, my little folded piece of paper suggests otherwise.

18. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Nah, he took the pic from below, parallaxing the image.

I like the drunken bird too!

19. Oh, I'm sure you're right.

Love the red on the Fenderbird.

20. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Ya know I've never measured it - it intonates perfectly tho. I had Mike Lull do the set up and wiring on it. The paint is stock Epi CAR.