Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fifth notes?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by desdinovabass, Jan 19, 2005.

1. i was with a few of my buddies tonight and we were talkin about music, notation and all that good stuff and we were wondering if there was such a thing as a fifth note, not talking about intervals and semitones, but as in terms of quater notes, half notes amd so on. so i was curious if anyone else has thought about this, is there such a thing? how would you count it? or are me and my freinds just crazy?

i wasn't entirely sure where to put this it might belong in misc. but i wasn't sure, i apologize if this needs to be moved or anything

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Nope. But the Brits have hemi-demi-semi-quavers! :hyper:

Check out http://www.musictheory.net for answers to many questions of this type.
    Best,
    Laurence

3. oh, and of course if you have a 5/4 bar the quarters will effectively be fifths

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    You'd still call them quarters though. Or crotchets, which is slightly more amusing.

5. Yeah, but you migt have noticed that i said "effectively" :smug:

6. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    Even if you don't work the entire book, which takes a long time unless you grew up playing tablas, this is quite handy as a reference:

POLYRHYTHMS - THE MUSICIAN'S GUIDE Peter Magadini

Just look it up on google.

Mike

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That assumes that "whole note" means a note that lasts a whole bar. It doesn't.

It's confusing terminology but I guess we're pretty much stuck with it.

8. yes, but the term whole note is based on the fact that most music is 4/4 (so that the whole note normally is a whole bar)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe off topic - but what do Germans, Italians, French etc call these?

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It certainly implies that, which is why I think it's a dumb term and will battle on with the semibreve. I'll also fight for the reintroduction of the "breve" (looks like a semibreve with a sort-of knife and fork thing going on to the left and right of the note) which is worth eight crotchets.

11. Germans call them, Ganze, Halbe, Viertel, Achtel etc. (so basically the usual with whole, half, quarter and eight etc. except in german)

The only strange thing we do is call Bb B and B H

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I just assumed it was a translation or literal equivalent?

So my feeling was that "Classical" theorists in the UK use quaver, crotchet etc. - whereas Jazz teachers tend to refer to quarter notes etc.

13. Yeah, its a literal equivalent.

14. In French:
    Whole note = Ronde
    Half note = Blanche
    Quarter note = Noire
    Eighth note = Croche
    Sixteenth note = Double croche
    Thirty-second note = Triple croche
    Sixty-fourth note = Quadruple croche

Is a quaver the equivalent of a whole note?

15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    UK "classical" terminology;

Two whole notes = Breve (I have seen this once, maybe fifteen years ago, in an orchestral score that, itself, was very, very old)
    Whole note = Semibreve
    Half note = Minim
    Quarter note = Crotchet
    Eighth note = Quaver
    Sixteenth note = Semiquaver
    Thirty-second note = Demisemiquaver
    Sixty-fourth note = Hemidemisemiquaver.

16. Heh, so the french chose the names for the notes by how they look...

17. Thanks! :)

Seems so! :p

18. thanks for the replies guys, i think my lead guitarist is going to try and invent the fifth note just so we can mess with our drummer, haha

19. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    the magic word is 'hippopotamus'

set your metronome and say 'hippopotamus' over each beat...

there's yer quintuplet (well, one phrased as 2 + 3 anyway)

:)