Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fills

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LeftSide, Mar 20, 2005.

1. LeftSide

LeftSide

Mar 6, 2005
    Ive been workin on trying to do new fills, but i just need a little instruction. What are some fills that i can do(dont be afraid to be specific)? Thanks

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Nobody is afraid to be specific, we need YOU to be more specific!!!what style of music, who do you want to sound like, what bass are you playing??This is not the psychic friend's network!!

3. LeftSide

LeftSide

Mar 6, 2005
    yeah, my bad. Just metal/gospel/ska, fingerstyle mostly, and im playing a 4 stringer. Just wanna sound...together.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    That is a pretty wide range of sounds, I would listen to your bass heros, try to learn some licks from your favourite players!!
    It is imporant to keep in mind that really great bass playing does not require fills and great fill-ins don't equal great bass playing!!As a bass player in these styles of music you have to understand that laying it down is your #1 priority!!

5. LeftSide

LeftSide

Mar 6, 2005
    uh, what? Im asking for fill techniques...thnx though

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, no problem!!I think you will find alot of material(books, instructional videos, dvd's, etc) specifically for "just metal/gospel/ska mostly finger style" bass playing available for you to learn fills so you can sound "together"..

7. LeftSide

LeftSide

Mar 6, 2005
    thanks, i guess, but i recommend you lighten up your tone a bit so you dont sound like an ass

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    LeftSide, it's just that you're asking such a vague question and expecting specific answers. There aren't going to be many sources to find out about just "fills", either.

I'd definitely try playing along with some of the music that you listen to. I don't like tabs, but they could definitely help with figuring out some of the fills.

9. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Just play the riff a lot and experiment with different ways of ending it. Once you have played something a lot (can get it right 100%) putting in fills isn't really that difficult

Perhaps if you uploaded a riff and tab we could try and suggest some fills for you?

10. Learn scales and chordtheory so that you will know what kind of notes will fit with the riff you are writing the fill for. As far as technique if you play fingerstyle just play as you would normally.

A fill should be a nice ending to the riff your playing but also be a transition to the next riff you will play. Find where on the bassneck you want to start the fill and where you want to end up and find anice way of getting from A to B rythmically and melodically.

11. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Best combination of genres ever? Not unlikely