1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Filter Freaks...Best Evelope Filter for Slap/Pop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soulplane83, Sep 6, 2008.

1. soulplane83

soulplane83

Aug 16, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Sup errbody

Given that the sound of an envelope filter is so dependent on its settings and, more importantly, your attack, what are some of your choices for an envelope filter when slapping/popping. I'll probably be running a 2 filter setup, so I'm not looking for a versatile filter, but rather just the best one for slapping. As far as soundclips go, the EBS Bass IQ sounds hard to beat in that category. Any others I should check out?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Having used the following:

Moog LPF
    EHX BB
    EHX Qtron+
    Maxon AF9
    Pig EP-1
    BSW

The best slapper (to me) is the Qtron+ followed closely by the Maxon AF-9. BTW, all my filters are gone save for the Maxon.

3. EHX Qtron+ ... my fave at the moment.

4. rhcp32291

rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    +1 for the AF-9

in high range mode its great for quick little chirps
    and in low range mode its a great thick enveloped slap sound

5. lowendrob

lowendrob

Sep 10, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The EMMA Electronics DiscumBOBulator is my favorite. It tracks extremely fast and doesn't destroy the tone of your bass. I have found that it works very well for slap.

6. myuhlz

myuhlz

Jul 4, 2007
    Santiago Chile
    Hello, I use a Electro Harmonix Dr. Q and it's quite good.

7. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    +1 emma

also mailbomb works quite well, q-tron and the ibanez/maxon. Of course if you find a vintage mutron, well I shouldnt have to tell ya.

8. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!!!!!!

with expression pedal!

9. "sup?" oh no... not here.. please!!!

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    EHX Qtron+.

Can't beat it for slap.

11. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    AF-9!!!

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Personally I'm not a big slapper and I'm not all that fond of slapping with a filter on, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd agree with those who said the EMMA. I don't like super wet or thick filters when slapping because it's just too peaky all around. IMO, you get nothing but trebly highs from it. In general I like an autowah better for slap.

That said, while I ended up getting rid of the EMMA for not being wet enough, that's what made it good for slapping.

As a side note, one of my projects is a RHCP tribute band and so I've used a couple different filters for copping tones. For the break in Power of Equality, I slap using a DOD FX25 which is I believe what Flea used on the record.

13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    love my MXR Bass Auto Q

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I don't really play slap, but the EHX Bassballs (set to a low response setting) works well with slap playing. It's not the sort of filter sound you'd expect, of course, but it's a good sound.

15. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Looks like the Maxon AF-9 is popular. I was going to suggest the Mu-Tron III or Mu-Tron III+ (reissue). The AF-9 is supposed to sound like the Mu-Tron, but when I tried it in the store, it just didn't respond the same. I want to like the AF-9 (it sure is a lot smaller & easier to power), but I couldn't make it sound like the original... oh well, YMMV!

That said, the Mu-Tron circuit has a nice, natural compression to it that is perfect for slap/pop techniques.

16. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'm still enjoying the syle green filter. Not a huge slap/pop guy myself, but the thing is gurgley as all get out (as opposed to laser beams).

April mini review by me - No slap samples.

Manuf Website - Also lacking slap samples.

17. I've used a EBS IQ, EH Bassballs, and a QTron. Of the 3, my fav is the IQ. Really worked well for me and was very responsive dynamically. The Bassballs works well also, but is quite a bit different tonally and doesn't respond as well to dynamic changes. I really didn't like the QTRon at all, just didn't work well for me. The other nice thing about the IQ is that you can set it up as either an up or down sweep or set it on auto-wah, which is nice for slapping.

18. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    EBS. Sounds perfect for me, utterly reliable and I don't have to tweak the knobs every time I set up.

DOD was great except that the filter was really low and I wasn't looking for dub sounds.

Boss AutoWha sucked big time (noisy, hard to control, noisy, unreliable, and noisy).

Q-Tron had some real problems with setting levels, it needed to be tweaked a LOT every gig (heck, even between sets!), and it took up a lot of real estate. Add in that it had special power supply and it just wasn't worth the hassles to me.

jte

19. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Clips!