1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Final Fantasy 12

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Anyone played it? Good, bad, evil, ugly?

I liked FF7 and FF9, but didn't care for 8. Will I like it?

2. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    The review in EGM was mostly positive... said it was a little departure from the previous games (with a new production team on it) but that the world was funa nd expansive and that the new job system was interesting. I haven't played it though so it's all someone else's opinion...

edit: because I'm an idiot that writes "expensive" when I mean to say "expansive"

3. It is just.. amazing. It has a pretty large learning curve, then again, most FF's do. Versus the past 2 or 3 FF's, I think this is the best, and honestly.. I have played (pretty much) every FF and this is starting to become my favorite. The airships are amazing, great graphics, the gameplay is fun, the Gambit system rocks.

The only thing I can complain about right now is the licensing system, but it's no big deal. If you like FF, you will LOVE this game. No exaggeration on my part.

4. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I played the Japanese version several months ago. The combat system is great. It's a nice mix of turn based and real time. The "gambit" system for controlling your party members is very clever and very cool.

The graphics are phenominal. Characters are badass. There's lots of extra stuff to do.

The big downside is the story. It's not that it's bad, per se, but it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy. It's very small in scope. Plus, it's the same story as Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics (by the same director).

If you forget that it's a Final Fantasy game, it's a lot of fun. Just don't expect a great story.

5. I'm going to pick it up over Winter break, since if I bought it now I'm sure it would ruin my grades. Most of the reviews I've read have been pretty glowing, though, so I'm excited.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    It looks amazing, and I loved X, so I'll probably check this out when it goes to the bargin bin (I very rarely pay more than $20 for a video game).

Never played III, VIII, IX, X-2 or XI, but I was/am a fan of all the others. Currently going through the PSX re-release of IV right now. :D

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lucky for me, my brother decided to buy it - so I didn't have to spend any money. It's amazing. I've gotten out of video games for the most part; but I'm freaking addicted to FFXII.

The gameplay is definitely different from any other FF game. It's more or less like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. It's 3D action, with a turn-based fighting sysem... really cool. The maps are nice, graphics are great, and the bottom line is: the game rocks.

The Abilities board is pretty cool too. Less confusing (IMO) than the one in FFX. Really straight-forward.

It's the first game I've played in a long time; and it's been even longer since I really enjoyed a game.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've been a diehard FF fan since 7 came out. I've played, and beaten every one up to 11, which I am getting back into once my credit card comes in.

I don't have a TV, or Playstation, but once I do, good bye grades!

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

i love the FF series. i need to get a PS3 and pickup the game. i swore off the series when they did that online crap with XI, but maybe this one will change my mind.

10. Just FYI, you don't need a ps3 to play FFXII.

11. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i just realized this. do you think it would be worth it to buy a PS2, or should i just get a PS3?

i know the PS3 is mad expensive, but for FF, i might give in.

12. That's a tricky question. I guess if you figure that you're essentially buying both a PS2 and a PS3 when you plunk down for a PS3, it's not quite as bad a deal as it is for people who are just upgrading. Plus, FF XIII is coming out for the PS3 and it looks absolutely insane.

13. If you're going to buy a PS3 solely to play FF, I recommend against it. If you're not against ebay, you can buy PS2's with controllers and tons of games for very cheap. In fact if I remember correctly someone in the classifides off TB was selling a ps2 if you wanted to check that out.

Unless you plan on buying a PS3 because you really want one and are looking forward to other games being released on it, don't bother.

14. I'm so nervous about XIII. I've heard the one plot might be split up into as much as 6 different FF games. I am not quite sure what to think, but I guess we'll all see. It does look and sound pretty intense.

15. I hadn't heard that...weird. I've just seen the video that's been floating around, and it was rather impressive. Good music, too.

16. I've never been a hardcore gamer, but did play FF7 and FF8 for a few hours in my life... (I mean a few hours, no sarcasm) I liked them a lot. I was at a friend's house and was forced to play FF12 (instead of bass). I have to say, it's pretty decent.

17. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    They've only announced three games:

Final Fantasy XIII. This is the one that you've probably seen the trailers of. Looks amazing. PS3 game.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII. This is a mobile phone game, and can be ignored. :D Seriously though, it's a side story to FFXIII.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII. The story, characters, and setting are completely unrelated to FFXIII. (So why call it FFXIII? Unclear.) Another PS3 game.

18. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Review - I have FFXII now and have logged around 20 hours. Here is a mini-review of how i feel about the game currently.

The graphics are great and the CGI is great. The story and battle system suck. I swear they LITERALLY just stole Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic's story line and basic battle sequence. The game is really not an RPG, it's more like an Action game with hints of RPGism. The characters look kinda like a cross between Vagrant Story and FFX. The battle system is terrible, instead of choosing what your characters do and fight, you WATCH them, yes i said watch them. it's all AI. You can choose to control it all manually, but it would take so long to defeat one little wolf, that it's not worth it. This game is not like the other Final Fantasy's. I have played all the NES, SNES, PSone, and now PS2 (minus XI, i hate online games) and SO FAR this one's the worst. I'm still going to beat it cause im a big FF fan, but i am wondering if this is a trend.

Hope i don't piss anyone off. Anyone else feel this way?

19. I feel that way in some regards, but I strongly disagree in other ways. I think it is nothing like KOTOR personally, and the battle system is completely different.

And with the gambit system, I think it is a good idea. It is not really totally AI considering it is fully customizable, and you can make it so you have a big involvement in things. With differences come varying opinions, you seem to not like it so much, I do on the other hand... it happens. Just as you though, I am also a big FF fan, so we come from the same roots.