1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally an affordable signal blender!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I saw this was released today, and thought it would be very useful for us bass players trying to blend in distortion overdrive. I've had Old Blood pedals in the past, and they were all built great and sounded even better.

old blood noise endeavors — Signal Blender

2. The problem with blenders and overdrives is the tricky subject of signal phasing. Fuzzes are particularly prone to signal phasing. So you blend the fuzz with the original signal to find that they start cancelling each other out...or you loose a whole load of mids (tone phasing). So it's not a straight forwards subject matter. Some OD / Fuzzes have no phase issues at all...others a partially out of phase...others are fully inverted.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

This has two phase switches right on top, so it’ll at least help with fully inverted signals.

4. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Kinda neat that you can switch the clean blend in or out.

But if you just need affordable, a used Boss LS2 is hard to beat.

For blending overdrive/distortion, the Damnation Audio looper looks neat. It has a phase switch, and I believe it's clean blend is low-passed, rolling off signal above 1000 hz. That would give you clean, undistorted low end but gets the clean mid and high frequencies out of the way so that they're not competing with the distorted mids and highs from the overdrive pedal.

Using a full-range clean blend with an overdrive pedal can get a bit frustrating because the clean signal can bury the overdriven signal, forcing you to maybe run more overdrive than you really want just so that you can actually hear it.

ELynx, speedball3, gfen and 2 others like this.
  5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Very true. Because of that, one almost has to view blenders more as their own effect, with what may be unpredictable results, as opposed to a pure 1+1=2 type of thing.

Nothing wrong with that as long as the user is aware of it - it can still certainly yield desirable results.

JCooper likes this.
  6. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    i wish more blenders had a expression pedal option - i use a One Control Mosquito - but i love being able to slowly blend in an effect (or on long notes start clean then blend in the effect) - but not alot of them do. having a phase switch is vital. Wounded Paw has a great looking one but its $250.

LowActionHero and AudioTaper like this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Can't tell if you have the Expressio version or the standard Mesquite? Mosquito? Anyways, in case this isn't what you have:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ender-expressio-wet-dry-effects-blender-pedal

cosmicevan and LSMFT6 like this.
  8. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None

Which Wounded Paw pedal are you referring to? I’m also a fan of expression-controlled blending but can’t find this feature on any of their pedals. Maybe I missed it?

9. Bfieldy

Bfieldy Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    That really is a good price for what you get.

10. thumbslapper

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    Kro likes this.
  11. thumbslapper

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    this one:

Expression Pedal Blender V1 : Wounded Paw, Bass and Guitar Effects and Blenders

expression pedal blender V1. the V2 blender blends between 2 different loops.

I have a few synth pedals and a Xerograph Delux in my effects loop, works really well.

LSMFT6 likes this.
  12. Nice! Definitely interested!

13. LowActionHero and catcauphonic like this.
  14. RissKippery

RissKippery Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Just happened to see this today after writing it off when I saw it at Namm. They added phase switches! Lack of phase control was the only reason I didn't want it. Also, $129?! I was sold... Pre-ordered.

15. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Fortunately I've never ran into any phase issues with my Boss LS-2 (yet!) Was thinking of getting another one for a 2nd board but there's some really good seeming options here :thumbsup:

16. RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    From what I've gathered, phase issues are a lot less common than they seem when you're researching and picking out a blender. I just like having the option in case I run into it. But the LS-2 is a crowd favorite around these parts, so who really knows haha.

catcauphonic likes this.
  17. Bfieldy

Bfieldy Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I ran a LS-2 for years before I'd ever heard about phase issues . I had fuzz, filters, distortions etc. in my loops. Guess what? I NEVER heard anything negative in my sound/signal. Ha. The more you know...?!

18. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    The new EHX triple mixer pedal looks pretty sweet for the 150$ price:

[​IMG]
    Pretty sure they just announced it fairly recently.

19. RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016

Yeah, this one is a new one as well. Considered it myself. I think 3 loops is one more than I'd want. I also tend to lean more toward boutique options for a few reasons. Typically boutique pedals are more expensive than their more mainstream counterparts. Not this time.

Lammchop93 likes this.
  20. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    I'm getting this next. The price is right, and the three channels is perfect for me right now.