Finally pulled SX (essex) trigger...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JumboFriendly, Feb 1, 2009.

1. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Now comes the fun part!

sjb62qmdbus1.jpg

+

necksjb75c1left.jpg

+

Gotoh 201, custom nut, wiring kit, Fender American pups (longer Custom Shop 60's), and hardware

=

cool?

I guess we'll find out...

2. scottm

scottm Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Virginia
    Nice!

-ScottM

3. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I think you'll be pleased with the result. Very cool!

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Beautiful finish. But that headstock is backwards:eyebrow:

5. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    That's the point :D

I should mention this isn't my first SX, I've owned a lined fretless in that past. But I wasn't able to get used to fretless, and it'd been modified before I got it. This will be my first that I get to modify!

6. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Bass and some accessories are here. I already have the bass torn apart (couldn't wait, I guess). I've spent most of tonight sanding the finish off the back of the lefty neck. I didn't realize (stupid, I know) that there wouldn't be position markers since the neck would be upside down, so I painted some on with nail polish.

The website says the lefty neck has no nut; it does. It also has no logo or holes for tuning machines or neck bolts. It also has no hole drilled for a string tree. These are all okay, but I wasn't prepared for at least some of them. I've decided to replace the tuning machines as well; I'd like something lighter and I figure the stock neck will sell quicker with machines included. I will order the tuners this week and visit a friend with a drill press to get all the holes drilled at once.

I'm making progress, I'm just slow.

7. What size tuner holes does SX / Essex use? 1/2 or 3/8?

8. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Hopefully someone else knows, I haven't had time or desire to measure yet.

9. Lets see it when it's done!

Looks like something good is about to happen!

10. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    No holes for the tuning machines???????

I guess since it's a lefty, you COULD use the righty neck that came with it, line up the headstocks (back to back) and use it as a template to mark and drill the holes...:confused: Just an idea...

11. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Yeah, the headstock is just as smooth as can be. I'll just use the new tuners (whatever they may be - haven't decided yet) and drill them out that way. Sure are tiny holes though... hope I have a steady hand.

:D

12. good luck!

13. that combo of neck and body looks nice for the budget bass! cool stuff man!

14. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Bridge arrived, still need to order tuners from somewhere. Pickups have been ordered as well.

15. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    Jumbo, how is that Jazz bass?, I got a raise today and I'm considering ordering me another SX, and the red version is pulling me.

16. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    It's very nice, from what little I played it before yanking it apart. I'd have had no problem keeping it stock (aside from strings) and playing it that way for a while, but I was way too anxious to get started customizing. My plan was to eventually get a Warmoth type do it yourself bass, and I wanted some practice modifying first. I figure once I get done with this I'll have a great player with under Mexi-Fender money into it.

17. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    Verrry nice, cheers for the input.

18. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    SX has 1/2" tuner holes. At least mine did.

19. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Waiting on pickups to arrive (Fender Custom Shop 60's) and I've purchased tuners (Hipshot HB-2s) so those need to get here as well. Hopefully the pups will be here this week so I can get those installed. I need to drill out the control plate a little; the pots in the rewiring kit I ordered won't fit through the holes so I'll add that to my bin of stuff that's going to the drill press.

20. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

Oct 24, 2007
    Mobile, AL
    Pickups are in! Also drilled out control plate and rewired it. Gotoh bridge is also attached.

Slight change in plans. I put the Custom Shop pups in my MIA Jazz, and the pups from the MIA Jazz in the SX.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021