Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finding a teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mindflow, Jan 16, 2005.

1. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    i have been playing bass for about 6 years. i dont read music and have a basic understanding of music theory. i am not a bad bass player by any means i have been playing music all of my life and played instruments in the highschool band so i have a basis from which to start from when it comes to music theory and a good ear. i currently play in a band and we are getting very serious. i realize that i need to get a teacher soon to push myself farther but im not sure who to go to about it. i have had a couple of teachers that were very bad and very expensive. i live in the san diego area and am on a pretty low budget. if you can recommend someone or have any ideas of how to find a good teacher please let me know. this site has been really great to me so far. what im looking for is a teacher that will teach me theory, but not just theory, im looking for a teacher who will teach me to be a great bass player in the context of playing in a band. and to sound even more picky, i dont want a guy who just got a degree from Berklee and is trying to pay of his student loans by busting out lessons. i would like someone that has been in a good band. i want someone that i can really develop a relationship with and that will care about me and see me as more than another student.

also what have been some of your experiences with teachers and what has been positive and negative for you? thanks

2. Check out local bands, and ask the bassist if he gives lessons. (If you like his playing, of course.)
    Listen to any cds with bassists in your area, and call them to ask for lessons. If they don't give - ask if they knows someone who does.

I think this really is the way to go....

3. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    How is this possible? HS band was reading sheet music unless I remember it wrong.

4. Not neccessarily if he was playing on the drumline. Which is quite possible since bass and drums go together like peanut butter and jelly

5. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    yeah i know it sounds weird. i kind of memorized sight and sound. i never really got a good understanding of the way keys fit together if that makes sense. im kind of like the kid who made it through school without learning to read. i was actually first chair and had solos and our band won several competitions in the county. if i could do it all over i would have been in drumline.

6. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004