1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding Speaker's Impedance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M0ses, Oct 2, 2009.

1. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ok, so I've got two speakers. All I know about them is that they were made by Leslie and they are 12" wide. There is a parts number on the back - 33 5120 4 - but this number does not appear in any database I can find.

So, how can I find out how many ohms these things are? They're pretty nice speakers, I want to wire them up in a home-built cab, but obviously I can't just wire them up and expect them or the amp to not be destroyed if I don't even know the impedance. Is it going to take some kind of expensive test equipment to find out?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    a volt ohm meter will tell you. set it on DC resistance and tell us what you get.

3. Those speakers were probably designated for Leslie organ cabinets. I doubt they'll work well for bass especially in a cabinet not optimized for them. The best you can hope for is a crapshoot.

Paul

4. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Like johnk said, just measure the resistance. It will be slightly lower than the impedance. A 4 ohm speaker will typically read somewhere between 3 - 4 ohms, an 8 ohm speaker will be in the 6 -7 ohm range, etc.

5. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Use a multimeter and measure the resistance of each speaker. The number you get will be a little bit lower than the actual rated impedance of the speaker. Example: an 8 ohm speaker will typically read around 6 ohms and a 4 ohm speaker will typically read about 3 ohms.

Edit: ric beat me to it. :D

And I agree with Paul, that these are likely not suitable for bass and could very easily be destroyed by playing bass through them.