Finger exercise: Metallica's, Bread Fan

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Rockin John, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Good afternoon, folks.

I worked out a little finger exercise for myself (am always doing that sort of thing:) ) and realised that the rythm / note durations is identical to Bread Fan, although the pitches used are different.

Now, I don't read music although I could pick my way through a score given enough time (prolly measured in years....) Given that, I tried to figure how the note durations of Bread Fan would look if written down. But I can't. I can't figure whether the notes are in threes, or whether they're in groups of 4 but that the accents fall in such a way as to make them appear to be in threes.

The reason for wanting to understand - as well as the need to understand more of music, generally - is so I can jot down my exercise to remember it. Further, then, if I can jot down all the exercises I have a better chance of progressing because of my rotten memory!! :bawl:

Any help appreciated, as always.

2. Oooooops....................

Whilst it mightn't generate any replies I should point out that I was mistaken when setting out the title of this thread.

The original artist of Bread Fan was, Budgie, the British heavy rock band formed 1967.

Metallica did cover the song, though.

:eek: :eek:

3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't know the song, but the general technique is to sing through it really slowly, first of all tapping the pulse then trying various subdivisions until you find one that works.

While you're figuring out how to transcribe the line, it might be worth recording it as well (indeed, if you do that and post it, someone else may be able to give clearer pointers).