1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fingertip Small cuts(like paper cuts)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassjamn, Apr 18, 2021.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Colorado
    Noticing i am cutting my fingertips more often, if i play for a long time or dig in too hard for longer periods...this used to never happen. But i recently moved to CO and the humidity is constantly 10-20.

I hope its the climate and just need to use some sorta dry skin ointment and not something like type 2 diabetes :(

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, stay moisturized. When cracks / splits do happen, I use a dab of crazy glue to seal them so they can heal.

3. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    Colorado
    Just put some dabs of gorila glue as we speak!

LowRick likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    ..and if you have the slightest suspicion about diabetes - get checked - way better off identifying it as soon as possible.

5. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    I completely agree with what @bholder said above. To add to his statements, drink plenty of water. Lotion and ointments are designed to place a barrier on the skin so the water from the body doesn't escape. If you are dehydrated, your skin is not going to be able to heal and this will be a constant battle. I have to lotion up everyday and apply lotion to my hands numerous times a day. I work in medicine so my hands take a beating each day from the frequent hand washing and hand sanitizer. I consistently have cracked hands and fingers with drinking close to a gallon of water everyday. Find a good hand lotion for yourself and apply it often with drinking water! And, welcome to Colorado!

bholder and bassjamn like this.
  6. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    Colorado
    thanks beersugeon! Great advice especially since you live here.
    Do you use any specific category(dry skin etc) of lotion?

7. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    I started using Gold Bond Ultimate eczema relief cream this year and had really good success with it. I have had less cracks on my fingers than previous years and happy with the product. Udderly smooth is another product that I have had success with too. Hope this helps!

8. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had the same kind of issues when I moved to AZ. Took me about a year to adjust to the dry air.

bassjamn likes this.
  9. Es-La-Una

Es-La-Una

Oct 27, 2016
    The reason why your finger tips are being cut and then bleed is because you’re playing too many sharp notes on your bass.

You don’t want to bloody your bass’s strings. It’s probably the dry air. Try applying a skin moisturizer to your fingers and hands before you go to sleep each night.

DirtDog, newwavefrank, DrMole and 4 others like this.
  10. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Get some big (1X3") cloth bandaids and a tube of Neosporin ointment, When you go to bed add a spot of Neosporinn and cover the damaged spot. This won't keep the cracks from occurring, but it'll help them heal a lot faster, Mine are touch and go all winter. It was a lot worse when I worked outside all the time

bassjamn and juancaminos like this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Use Aveeno on a regular basis.

12. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Fair warning on the glue - back in the 90's I played in a punk-funk trio and the bassist was a slapping monster who often super-glued his dominant-hand finger tips.

One particularly humid night, the glue came off, along with all the skin. He couldn't play for some weeks, until he could hold a pick.

I'll add, he did that more than once.

Todd, you out there? :smug:

Spectrum and bassjamn like this.
  13. What condition are your strings in?

Also, the best lotion in the world is the Shea butter stuff that L’Occitane en Provence makes.

s-l500.jpg

bassjamn likes this.
  14. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

After years of dry skin issues, dermatologist visits, diabetes, nose bleeds, cracked lips and fingers I have arrived at a few things that work.

First for hand creams I don't like anything greasy, it has to soak in right away and leave no gooey feeling. For that I find that Eucerin BLUE label Daily Hydration lotion works. Some hand creams are too thin, some are too thick. For me the Eucerin blue is just right. You may have to apply more often but it's worth it to me so as not to have greasy hands. It's a must before you go to bed and will solve cracked fingers as they begin. Before I retired I used O'Keeffe's Working Hands hand cream. It takes a little more work to get it into your skin and there is a little more greasy feeling but it does go away, it's good at work. Also I wear gloves for every and all situations outside. Including the load in and load out of musical equipment.

Once you do have cracked fingers time is of essence. Apply triple antibiotic ointment asap then cover with a cloth band-aide, not the common plastic type. You will be amazed at how quickly the crack will begin to heal. I've actually played gigs and just kept changing band-aides at break if needed.

Yes I have tried New Skin liquid bandage and superglue. I don't think it really helps the healing process but it probably does stop the crack from getting bigger. And does stop the stinging an bleeding while playing so I still use the New Skin in a pinch. But honestly nothing heals better than Triple Antibiotic ointment in all cut situations. My Dermatologist says that super glue is just introducing more poison into your body and we get enough of that in our daily lives.

For lips I use O'Keeffe's unscented Lip Repair, there are others I'm sure but the applicator does not push the stuff out in my pocket like the round tube products. For me CARMEX is the best but not pocket friendly. Burts Bees products work too.

Nose: Every time I wash my hands I put good old H2O in each nostril with my fingers. You can snort it or just put a soaking wet finger up your nose. If I am having a particularly dry nose week then I apply hand cream to my nostrils. My family doctor taught me this years ago. According to my dermatologist, if your hand and nose is dry so is your scalp. He suggested using Head and Shoulders Parabin free shampoo exclusively. So I do.

Other: Diabetics sweat sugar which cases chafing which can turn into dryness between your fingers, under arms, behind you rears, between your toes and in your crotch. A tube of Vusion is the best answer once this happens but at $600 for a very small tube it's not something everyone can justify. Elidel works too but it's over $200 for a smaller tube. Instead my Dermatologist told me to use Zeasorb AF everywhere. Feet, crotch, armpits...anywhere you can use powder. Man this stuff works mostly as a preventative measure but can reverse too.

Sorry for the long and seemingly off topic reply but it's all related.

bbh and bholder like this.
  15. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    Ditto on the no greasy residue! For me I found lubriderm red label to be the best at soaking in and not being greasy. I tried a lot of different ones when I was playing congas. I use it regularly in the winter for cracked heels too.

16. Wear nitrile gloves for five hours a day and drink lots of water.:thumbsup:

17. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Highly recommend O'keeffe's Working Hands. You just need to get used to the little bit of greasy feeling (it does go away). Nothing else I've used works faster or better. I used to work in a wet/dry environment and my hands would get wrecked. The O'keeffe's saved me more than once and then some.

bbh and Aaron Mc like this.
  18. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

A&D Ointment and Gardner’s Hand Repair helps me in the long term. There’s the stretchy plastic bandage stuff that clings to itself that works in an emergency, but it might not hold up all night. There has been a Super Glue type thing that was formulated for musicians, but I don’t recall the name.

19. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    Bag Balm works great. I would apply it before bed and wear some light gloves , as it can be a bit greasy.

upload_2021-4-18_18-3-57.png

svlilioukalani likes this.
  20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    This is an annual problem in Da North. Lotion helps. I find it helps a lot to put on gloves whenever I'm washing dishes, to keep the hot water and detergent from drying out my skin.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021