1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fires in Colorado

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Gress, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    So our state has 11 wildfires burning right now, the biggest one near fort collins, but the scariest one is in Colorado Springs right now. The Waldo Canyon fire started up around Rampart Shooting range and then spread to over 4500 acres. Its getting dangerously close to structures and homes throughout the rampart area.

I have many friends that live in that area, and a bunch of them have already evacuated or are on standby to evacuate. This is seriously scary.

EDIT: 32,000 ordered to evacuate.

http://www.koaa.com/news/update-waldon-canyon-fire-multiple-structures-burned-in-mountain-shadows/

2. I live in Fort Collins and we're doing OK, although the developments to the northwest of town are in real jeopardy. There are eight fires at last count and the Waldo Canyon fire is too darn close to C Springs...doing a lot of damage.

We're hoping for control of the High Park fire some time next week.

3. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
  4. I'm watching the evening news and there's a new fire near Boulder and they're evacuating people. DANG!!

Channel 4 in Denver is interviewing the Gov. on the fire site in Colorado Springs and he says the winds there were 50+ MPH, and when he thought he was seeing trees on fire - he realized it was houses. The shots of the C Springs fire are being taken right over the downtown area. They're also showing a variety of shots of homes burning.

5. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Took these on my way in today.
    Photo0083.
    Photo0085.

I took this in front of my work about an hour before we got told to leave.
    Photo0091.

6. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    I have lots of friends and family in Colorado Springs.

Have they found anything out regarding arson with the fires?

7. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    It is so hot here this week, squirrels are spontaneously combusting.
    The grass is like straw, and the trees are drying up. It is frightening.

8. Stay safe everyone!

9. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Just today, the Flagstaff fire started after a small thunderhead passed through. Went from 6 acres to 300 acres in an hour or so.
    I could see flames from North Boulder. All of Boulder smells like a giant campfire.

Crazy stuff..

10. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    This is the Weber Fire.
    It's burning right now West Of Durango, CO just outside of the little town of Mancos.
    It's burned about 9,000 acres so far and still going strong.
    With the media focused on the Colorado Springs fire, it seems that no one is even talking about this one.

20120623__weber-fire-mancos~p1.

Winds are picking back up right now, it's gonna be another long night for the firefighters.

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    wow

keeping my fingers crossed for you all, stay safe

12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Denverite & Colorado native here. Growing up, my family & I went to Colorado Springs once a year on vacation, and one of the highlights each trip was our visit to the Flying W Ranch, a real working ranch with a replica of an old west town, a narrow gauge train and authentic (and tasty) chuckwagon suppers. I was devasted to learn this morning that it has been burned to the ground. A piece of my childhood, gone with the wind...

http://www.flyingw.com/

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hope everyone and their homes are safe! Fires are a bitch!

14. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Bloody L, stay safe.

You could do with the months worth of rain we had in 24hrs.

15. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Keeping my eye on that Waldo Valley fire. My son is down at Fort Carson about 12 miles south of that thing. He says he can occasionally see the flames way down there! The smoke is affecting them at the base.

16. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    Yeah these fires are crazy. My bands lead singer/rhythm guitar lived in the springs for about 5 years. His dad and brother are still there now and he told me a couple of his friends homes have already burned down. I hope they can get the fires under control soon.

17. Lived / worked the missile fields of both FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne WY and Ellsworth AFB in SD during my time in the USAF and spent a lot of time down in Denver, Ft Collins and Boulder during those years. Still have friends there. Scary stuff. Worse yet, if they get a lot of rain anytime soon, the rain putting out fires may be countered by mudslides and flooding. Been there done that. Best wishes going out to everyone out there.

18. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    That looks close! Is it? What's going on there?

Is it true that it rains 340 days out of the year in England and that the rest of the days it's still raining but the fog is too thick for the rain to reach the ground?

19. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Terrible. :(

20. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Oh my goodness! I remember the times I drove up Rampart Range to the reservoir and Woodland Park!

Do you know what's happening around Mountain Shadows? I used to live in Spring Canyon Heights right on GoG.