1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig ever tonight

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by HappyPuppy1033, Dec 26, 2008.

1. HappyPuppy1033

HappyPuppy1033

May 13, 2008
    It's my first gig ever tonight. I've only been playing for a year and some odd months and the first real gig I have is in front of some 250 people. Anyone have any suggestions for sound, warmup, prep, anything, I'm nervous as hell. The band is a hip-hop funk band called BloodthirstyVegans (BloodthirstyVegans.com).

2. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Enjoy yourself! No need to be nervous if you have prepared.

3. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Do your usual pre-practice warmup, or just warmup til you're comfortable. If you can check your own sound, try to stand out where the audience would be and play a bit. The most important thing you can do at a show is just have fun and be relaxed, the audience will notice, trust me. The audience has fun when the band is having fun, and the audience isn't into it if the band isn't into it.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Good Luck my friend. You will be fine.

Don't get nervous and fall off the satge, that would be no fun.

5. +1
    It's natural to be nervy during the first few numbers. Pretty quickly you will develop a grin that just won't go way. It's like its plastered on your face! It probably still be there the next morning too.
    Just remind yourself when playing that this is the reason you put in all of that practice, expense, stress with the band etc.
    Don't forget to post some pics.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It's normal to be nervous but you need to go out there and have fun. This is one of the most fun parts of playing music.

Don't overthink, don't worry about what other people are thinking, just go out there and do your part and HAVE FUN....:)

7. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    A few common sense things to think of.

When I played my first gig i was really nervous. I was very well prepared. I made a mistake of drinking too much mountain dew, which made me feel more shakey than I was. I do not think anybody else noticed. Do not drink too much caffeine, and whatever you do do not drink alcohol.

Secondly, and this is going to sound crazy- make sure you empty the bladder before hitting the stage. Between the nerves and whatever liquid you have consumed you do not want to have to duck off stage to take a leak. Nothing ruins a good gig more than the singer having to fill space, or will ruin your fun more than trying to play while having a really full bladder.

As for warming up, make sure you are set. Remain calm, and try not to rush the tempo, or play too hard. Both are common early gig mistakes.

Mostly, have fun, focus on what you are there to do (mainly play), and execute your parts well. Doing your job well will determine how good the rest of the band will sound. :bassist:

Mark

8. blackandwhite

blackandwhite

Jun 15, 2008
    Have a good time. Nerves happen regardless of your level of preparation IMHO, especially on your first gig! Before my first gig ever, I was so nervous I could hardly move. That changed an instant after the start of our first song. Never had the nerves again. Good luck!:bassist:

9. Just be chill. Calm yourself, realize that you know the music and you've played it before.

I think the most important thing is to just enjoy yourself. Give off a fun vibe. If the bands enjoying themselves, the audience will think you're great.

10. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Bloodthirsty Vegans - nice :smug:

Go out and have some fun. :bassist:

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    great advice all around. i think you'll be fine. after a few tunes you should get into the groove and have a blast. nice crowd for a first gig too. i think i had five. :p

cheers!

12. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    just don't screw up... whatever you do.... don't screw up

(jk)

13. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California

Speaking of which......if you do screw up, don't spend the next few minutes focusing on it. Just move on. You are probably the only one who will know anyway....or just give a smile and a shrug if your band mates notice. Just have a good time and get into the groove of playing live.....Everybody is there to have fun. The audience sure won't care about a few missed notes. Peace, John

P.S. If you do a total train wreck...well....then you are on your own I'm afraid.;)

14. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Enjoy it man. There's only one first time and everyone here has had it. So will you tomorrow. Bee cool, fool.

-richard

15. Break a leg.......Bust a nut! Want to see some pics with the honey's!!

16. HappyPuppy1033

HappyPuppy1033

May 13, 2008
    Edit: Summary, I sidetracked my own thread by talking about a girl.

17. pendergasta

pendergasta .- .- .-. --- -. / .--. . -. -.. . .-. --. .- ...

Jan 7, 2008
    North Carolina
    Just my 2 cents-

Forget the chick and focus on your first gig!! This is a great night and don't let a piece of *** distract you from going out there and tearing it up!

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you're going to make a mistake, make a big one. The little ones are just "jazz notes."

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is a real good way to unnecessarily complicate an already nerve-wracking situation. Smooth.

20. drink a beer.