First Major GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matteran, Mar 5, 2005.

1. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome, and mine was on a trip out of state of a church gig. My guitarist showed me a copy of Guitar Player mag and said.."Man, you gotta check out these basses".

It was a Warrior ad, and I've been gassin' for a quilted maple top 6 with Barts, and gold hardware ever since.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    My first GAS was an 83 jazz that was in the music store were I was taking lessons. I ended up buying it brand new($380 out the door w/ case,strap&cord if I remember correctly). I can still smell the inside of that case, mmmmmm!! Now it's 20 years later, and my GAS has come full circle!! I'm having the same GAS over again!!!I am recycling GAS!!!This time it's going to cost me more than $380 dollars!!!I am never selling another bass!!!!!Gas smells worse the second time around!!
    :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

3. I think my first gas was a ric in a tuxedo finish
    I thik I got over it even though I wasn't able to get one
    so hard to find the damn thing too :meh:

4. Bass-wise G.A.S. hit me like a ten ton hammer when I opened the March 2003 issue of Bass Player magazine. I stared for hours at the Benavente SC5-B in Buckeye Burl that was reviewed. About two years later that exact same bass came up for sale...

:hyper:

5. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    My first GAS was for a Rickenbacker 4001. I wanted one soooooo badly! Then I scored one off of ebay. I couldn't get used to it and later sold it. But every now and then, I get GAS for a new Jetglow 4003!!

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's hard to say what my first gas was. I've only been playing bass for 4 months, so perhaps I haven't yet experienced TRUE gas. But I think Rocco's custom Conk makes my lips tingle.

Oh and that Nordstrand that was in the classifieds recently.. Mmmm

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It was '73 and I had to have a funk machine like Mel Schacher of Grand Funk RR (sunburst/rosewood jazz). After an excruciating wait it arrived from the factory with the headstock snapped off. I took the dealer's offer of a black jazz with maple neck ($80 upgrade) and I had my first good one :bassist:

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I had three almost simultaneous GAS attacks. The first was when I went into a music store in Buffalo in the late '70s and saw and played a Gibson Ripper. Had to have one. Never did.

A little later, I went to see Rose Royce (Car Wash) in concert. The bassist (Lequient Jobe) was playing this humongous bass that sounded just incredible. Found out later it was a point bodied Alembic Series I. Had to have one. Took 20 plus years, but I've had a few of 'em pass through my hands.

Finally, I saw Louis Johnson playing this wierd Fender clone with 3 tuners on one side of the headstock and 1 on the other side and a round pickguard. Music Man Stingray. Had to have one. Bought a Sabre instead and kept it for 20 plus years until.....(see previous paragraph)

Peace,

James

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    My first GAS was a custom fretless Carl Thompdon 6 string maybe even rainbow bass.... Yeah I got one...... :ninja:

Current Gas:
    Bongo 4 (white)
    Pedulla Hexabuzz
    F BN6
    Quilted Maple Ramp for my Spector

10. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    wow, thats a really nice looking bass...major gas...

11. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    its hard to remember even though ive only been playing for about 2 years...but i remember gasing for geddys ric and jazz from watching the chronicles dvd. also a bass ive always wanted based on looks was a black fender p. i passed up on an ibanez to get a johnson p cause it looked cooler...big mistake. since then ive played the GL sig jazz and several rics and im over them, but ive developed some gas for a warwick corvette. to help quell it i bought a rockbass corvette, and i use that as my main bass.

12. My Medical History so far...

My first bout of the dreaded GAS was for a Yamaha BB5000A back in 1990, which got cured then...

A year later, it was for a fancy rack-mountable effects unit, which got sorted with a Digitech MFP4...

In 1995, it was for an F-bass AC6, and a cure for this took 7 long and painful years...

Now, it's for a Fodera Imperial 6... so watch this space!!!

The Beebebop.
    :bassist:

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada

If you want a warwick thats cheaper and has a thin neck I'd look into the Nobby Meidel Basses. They were the first model made buy Warwick and about 1000 were made. If you are gettign one I'd suggest one with a higher number (each are number on a gold plate below the bridge) since the older ones are notorius for unstable necks.
    for more info go to http://www.warwickbass.com/nobby.html
    Btw Some people don't like them, but the one I own I LOVE and almost everyone who has played it has loved it, maby they are hit or miss??? :confused:
    Oh well either way if you see one of these I'd suggest trying it out they are great basses, especially for the price!!! I've seen some of these for like 800$ canadian!

Good Luck in your hunt for a warwick :smug: ,
    ~JB~

14. do you mind if I sig that? It brought tears of laughter to my eyes.

15. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I was big into Metallica, and I wanted a Sadowsky like Newsted. I wound up getting a Fender USA Jazz 5 and later realized that although it looked the same, it wasn't the same.

I still want a Sadowsky 5....

Geoff

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    My first (and biggest ever) GAS was a Rickenbacker 4001, when I was 17 and just starting bass. The wait lasted for 18 months, I let you imagine how painful that was...

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

That was the same thing with me ;) . I have this Sadowsky 5 for sale if you are interested. http://sadowsky.com/stock/view/62371.html

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Is your body on that bass completely hollow?.

19. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thanks man. That little bit of encouragement means something to me. In a forum where you hear so much about how much Warwicks suck or how you can get better basses for the price, yadda yadda yadda, it's nice that someone's encouraging about the brand, and isn't slagging me for liking "such crappy basses."

If I were to rationalize my GAS down on paper, there is no doubt that there are much better basses than Warwick out there for the same or less money...but my on again/off again lust keeps coming back to Warwick. It's kinda like how my dad lusts after Jaguar cars. When rationalized on paper, he knows that there are better cars than Jags for less money, but no amount of rationalization will quell his lust for that.

20. When I was 12, in 1980, I heard King Crimson's Elephant Talk and had to get a Chapman Stick. In 1983, I saw Pino Palladino w/ a Pedulla, had to have one. Same year saw The Fixx and had to have a Trace Elliot.

Currently own Stick #3 (got first one in '96), sold my Trace GP12SMX in '99 to help finance a move from Houston to Kansas City (dumb, dumb, dumb), never did get a Pedulla.

Moral of the story: By the time most of us can afford/satisfy our GAS we're too old to be cool with it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021