Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Major GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matteran, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    What was your guys' first major GAS? Like, when you first started playing bass, or after a little while, you just NEEDED a certain bass, or amp or something. What was it?

Mine has always been a Wal. I love everything about them, and their style perfectly complements mine. Modest, yet Unique.

I'm kind of afraid that I'll never get my dream Wal, considering the extreme wait time, and the aging of Pete. But if I get enough money for a down payment one day, I'll gladly wait 5 years for one.

2. mine was a warwick streamer, either an LX or Jazzman, very happy to say i have the LX now,

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    The first GAS I remember was caused by cabbage. I remember craving a Peavey Paleaduim after that.

4. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Mine was a Nordstrand... that's gonna be cured in about a week or so :hyper: I believe my next bass will be a certain fretless 4 ;)

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Beautiful Nordie Chern! Koa, right? I think I'm in Carey's April batch.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my first GAS was in 1978 or so (I was about 10 years old).... My Grandfather was a guitarist, so I always had cool stuff to play when at his house... but the son of a family friend was getting a divorce and didn't want his 73 MapleGlo 4001 to get aquired by the soon to be ex and gave it to my grandfather for safe keeping. I use to just hold it for hours... made noises and such through Pop's guitar amps. I dreamed about it... it was such a cool thing.

I started playing 2 years later and it took till 1987 to actually get my own

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it got stolen a short while after this picture along with a rig. I will own another mid to late 80's Mapleglo 4003 with black binding and hardware some day!

7. Cool, Cherns!

Your Nordie won't be too bad either, Andy! :D

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My first real bass was a 4001 Ric - white with black binding and guard, noo cover. Your pic takes me back. Of all the basses I've gone through over the years, that's really the only one I wish I still had.

9. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    It's like a year long dream finally coming true :hyper:
    I'm sure things will be moving much faster soon esp since Carey's at the tail end of sorting out all the other stuff that preoccupies him - hope you don't have to suffer the wait like I did :p

10. The first bass I really felt G.A.S. pangs for was a MusicMan Sterling, in 1993 or '94, right after they came out. I went ahead and bought it. Of course, I was single at the time, and didn't realize that not all future cases of G.A.S. could be alleviated in this manner.. :D

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my first real bass was an Ibanez Destroyer. I sold it and a bunch of other stuff to help pay for the Ric. I just scored a replacement Ibanez Destroyer from eBay a year ago (auction ended on my 3/17/2004... my b'day :smug: )

I'm always watching for a Mapleglo & Black Ric. They are my fav (though the limited edition baby blue are pretty killer too)

12. z4knerd

z4knerd

Jul 1, 2004
    MM stingray :X first bass i REALLY wanted and with a price tag over 400 dollars (im a broke college student what can I say?) it will be a while before i can own one of those ;x

13. My first real gas... Was when I first played the Geddy Lee Jazz. I love my Alvarez. But The Geddy Lee calls to me everytime I go into the music store. I stare at it, and it stares at me back going "buy me, play me, buy me pleeeease!!!" I love that bass sooooo much. I'll be bringing that puppy home in the summer :hyper:

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Warwick. When I first started playing bass in high school (around 1993 or so) and reading Bass Player magazine, something about Warwicks had me drooling at the back covers from day one. I was especially fond of the Fortress MasterMan.

Even nowadays when my GAS goes this way and that, I often seem to come back to Warwick. I may dismiss it for a while, but Warwick always comes back. It's like an on-again/ off-again GAS relationship with the brand. Even though the newer ones have fat necks that make me go "eep" I still end up GASing for a 'wick on and off, even though I know they're impractical basses for me and my hands.

So, yeah, my first GAS for a fresh bass was for a Warwick. And even though I know, realize, and justify that there are better basses that are a better value for the money than a Warwick and that practicality makes me cast off Warwick, something about Warwicks keeps me coming back.

I don't own a Warwick. I never have owned a Warwick. But the lust is there.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Stingray/Sterling. A few years later, i own a sterling, woot. I also have always had gAS for a warwick, so we'll see.

As far as mas expensivo basses, Wal.

16. my gas is for a Fodera imperial at the moment GOD I NEED THAT BASS

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My first major GAS was after that pizza last night.... Oh, I get it, equipment lust, I think it was when I saw Jaco with Joni Mitchell and He had a Guilde Hartke 4 x10. I had never heard anything like that! I got the second one in Detroit, Bootsy got the First "that Bas@^&*" . After that my first Buzz bass was deffinently a GAS product. I'll tell you nothing accellerates this thing like SADOWKY, I got my first this summer and all I can think about is getting more of them!!!!!!!!

18. i'd always wanted a custom bass that looked more like a violin/tree than a standard bass (i had a fender jazz at the time) and after my jazz was stolen this summer (2 days before going on tour for a month!) i had this puppy built by warmoth with the insurance money (see attached pics). it's a custom tele body made of mahogany with a rosewood laminate and an f-hole, two sd hot jazz stack pickups, wenge neck and brazilian rosewood fingerboard. oh, and a gibson-style 2+2 headstock. it's finally broken in really nice (oh, the action / intonation adjustments!) and after i do some recording this week i'm having it disassembled and coated with lacquer, and while that's being done i'll be having a custom headstock-inlay of a jagged-ass looking sun.

ps. what the hell does g.a.s. stand for anyway?

Attached Files:

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This bass was the first major gas i ever expirenced, it was pretty disappointing when it got sold before i saved up the money to put a depost on it. But 8 years later i found one on ebay and lost it and 2 weeks after that here on Talk Bass one came up for sale at a great price and now i own 2 of them the other one being the one i lost on ebay.I kept in touch with the winner and he sold it to me 14 months later i also have plans for having a custom one built.Yes i really do like these basses!. ;) :D :bassist:

Attached Files:

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That is very cool, glad to here you got a rockin bass out of your misfortune. :)