First Major GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matteran, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    First GAS was when I was starting on bass, and I was after a Fender precision (this was 1999 or 2000, I think). Nothing fancy. I had begun learning on my dad's old Guild bass that had a u-shaped neck from insane warpage. That sunburst precision is still my main axe, although a couple months ago I got HUGE GAS for a Carvin B4 with a mahog body. Should be arriving in a month.

Current GAS:
    Yorkville XS400H amp
    Nordstand SC fretless with a walnut body and myrtle burl top (4 strings, I guess. Maybe 5.)
    Brice Z6 Prestige neck-through ;)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First GAS was for a GK stack. First bass I GASed for was a '77 Precision.

3. nope, just a chamber under the f-hole half (er, third) of the bass. it makes it as loud as an acoustic guitar unplugged, and if you pass your hand over the f-hole while playing (or if you just position your hand there when you play slap) it sounds like an auto-wah. it doesn't get picked up by the pickups (heh) but it makes for some neat bedroom jamming.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have to wonder, though. Could GAS also stand for Gear Adoration Syndrome since a large part of GAS is lusting after instruments and not necessarily always acquiring them?

I certainly have GAS for Warwicks, no doubt, but said GAS has been in the adoration phase for god knows how long.

There are actually times when I wish my Fairlane's neck was a tad thicker, but there's no way I'm getting rid of it or my Ibanez 5er.

I would like a Corvette Proline 6 with dot inlays and a honey violin gloss finish, though.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very Cool :bassist:

6. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany
    ..have a look and hear this:http://www.nobby-meidel-bass.de

7. The first Bass-related gas was unlike a lot of users here, not related with looks, but SOUND. I fell in love with the Jazz vintage sound, and fought off the GAS for a long time, complaining about price, etc (I was used to cheapos :\) then, one day, I stepped into a music shop and that sweet sound penetrated through my ears and into my brain, and before I even realised what I was doing, I'd practically snatched this bass out of the player's hands (who was luckily the shop owner) and said: How much? can I get some fries with that? thanks, bye. and I believe its gonna stay with me, till the end of my days.

Currently, Im fighting off GAS for 2 basses, An MM4 (which is inexplicable as I dont really like the feel of it, only the sound) and a Rickenbacker 4001 though Im pretty sure I'll find it unconfortable. Other than that, I dont really gas for any other basses... ok, maybe one more. that fanciest Jerzy Drodzt though I'll never own it, its way too expensive for a bass IMO.

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    My first REAL gas was an Alembic Bassstar! (remember those?) I would love to see a pic of one now. I dont think they made many of them.

9. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    My first major gas was a fretless 1970- P-bass.
    The first time I played one, I had to get one.
    This was around 1975-pre-Jaco so too speak.
    Finaly I saved enough money to get one.
    Then came the joys of intonation?
    Like many I thought frets no frets, makes no difference.
    Boy was I wrong.
    But I keep with it, and all was well.
    P.S. I still play that fretless-P.
    And Old friend.

10. Mahlon

Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    My first gas was for a lava pearl Bongo, for $1,050! From an Ibanez Soundgear 400 to that! Should be here in 3-4 weeks. Yeee haaaa

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I started drooling over Dingwall's about 4 months after I started playing. I got one about 6 months after that, when a lovely thing happened, my bank gave me a credit card muwhahahaha!!! hehehe

12. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany
    http://www.nobby-meidel-bass.de
    Yes, you are right. The first Warwick Bass is one of the best Basses which Warwick have ever build. I love them!

13. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    As to your PS, my exact question a month or so ago. Its Gear Acqusition Syndrome. Its nice when you can put a name to a deeply disturbing disease which drives your thinking. Kind of like being an alcoholic without knowing what the problem is. If you don't understand it, and know others have it as well, you can't hope to control it.
    Much of this entire site exists due to this dreaded disease. Its like coming to a bar and watching others guzzle.

14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    A Roscoe LG-3005

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

This is a really cool thread. :)

16. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems and GHS Strings
    1989: I really gassed for a Spector (didn't get it) and a GK800RB (had to use a crappy Peavey 2-10/1-18 refrigerator for a year to afford the GK). Ironically, I play through both now, although the 800RB is being retired to the practice room shortly. I guess you could say I got my money's worth, only repaired once in almost 16 years. I never actually got my first Spector until 1998. Now, I play them 80% of the time.

17. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany

Have a look: www.nobby-meidel-bass.de

My Tip: try to find an "Rosewood" version. A dark one, "Rio-Palisander". The neck problem are only with the first one´s. I´m using the Nobby Meidel 376, 482 and the 642 with wenge neck. All are good!

18. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus

+1
    I love my Aria violin bass. Its a keeper for sure
    Aria

19. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Interesting thread!

I fell in love with Tobias basses after seeing Rob Trujillo with one back in the mid-nineties. Fulfilled the GAS after about 3 years wait, only it was a Gibson Tobias (this was before the knowledge amassed on the subject from an internet connection!). USA made but still a POS compared to the pre-gibson lust object.

It's ten years since I first gassed for it and I can't see myself being able to afford (or at least justify the spend) a pre-gibson Tobias 5 or 6 Classic.

20. klem

klem

Mar 14, 2004
    Germany
    Have a look at this: http://www.nobby-meidel-bass.de

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021