1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First set of practice headphones...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rollyolly, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm just starting out, and the only time I have to practice is right after I put the kids to sleep. Obviously I can't practice through my amp, so I want some headphones that sound really good.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have no idea where to start. I'll just be plugging them into my amps headphone output.

2. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Any recommendations for good over the ear headphones in the $100 range?

3. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
  4. sennheiser HD 280 Pros are really nice. use them to practice and in the studio.

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I use Grado SR-80. Around $99 new.

6. I use Audio Technica M50's. It seals well, and is quite neutral, but a little over your $100 budget...

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I have these, and they sound good, but can get a little hot on the ears after awhile.

8. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    +1, and musicians friend was running a special where you get another pair of cheaper headphones free. check out "Dave the rat" he is the sound engineer for major rock acts RHCP etc. and he did a headphone test and they performed very well. A lot of the sonys did poorly.

The only thing I do not like is the coil wire.. But best headphones for 99 bucks, and you get another cheaper pair free for a spare..

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I like my AKG K240S headphones.
    Very comfortable, nice long straight cord, great sound. The ear pads will deteriorate after many years, but replacement ear pads are available. The cord is also detachable, and replacement cords are available. My pair were made in Austria, and I hear that they are now made in China, but I've heard that they are still good headphones. Some places online refer to them as AKG K240 Studio headphones, same thing.

10. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I use Grado -80's for practice -- on my 2nd set of ear pads -- very detailed response

I use AKGs for my home studio/DAW monitoring

the AKGs were over $100. They're closed rather than open and a little more comfortable for extended wear, but the Grados are exceptional value

11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Believe it or not, the iGrados built for Grado have pretty terrific bass response, and the new cord is longer than the first ones, plus you can send them back to Grado and they will repair them.

I also really like Fostex T50RP's since they have good bass response and a detachable cord that can be replaced with a new one.

Ric

12. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I'll also plug the Grado SR80's, they're just a really great sounding headphone, one I'm glad I spent the money on.

13. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I also really like the Grado sr80's, they're a well built, great sounding headphone. I love mine.

14. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
  15. Vik Firth makes a good set of cans that have great low end for abour 200 bucks or so. Drummers and Bassist really seem to like them. I got a set really good isolation.

16. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Sennheiser HD-380 model is nice in studio, live and practice.
    Attenuation claims are overstated but still very respectable in use as the seal is tight..

On Amazon dot for $149.99 presently which is about $30.00 off the big box webstores.

17. SkiFor3

SkiFor3

Aug 23, 2011
    Picked up a set of these on black Friday for 69.99 from best buy. Happy with them so far.

18. I’ve used many different headphones over the years and no matter how much I spent sooner or later in the end they all end up either wearing out or breaking so now I just use the cheap $30 Yamaha RH2C headphones - they last as long as more expensive cans and sound good for bass.

19. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Another vote for Grados. The bass is more natural and detailed and the overall sound so nicely balanced than anything else in the price range.

They do not block out any external sound, though, if that is an issue, and they are audible to others in a room.