1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

first stack? bass? confused

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassist1234, Apr 29, 2006.

1. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    hey what would you buy first if you had my gear (mim pbass, rumble 100) a new bass or a new amp? Im really not happy with the tone from both, it doesnt sound like what I think my bass should sound like which is starting to piss me off

2. I would most likely buy a good amp with plenty of headroom and just replace the pups in the pbass............you just have to decide what sound you want when buying the amp and cab..............the pbass is pretty versatile.

3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    With your gear I'd get the amp first. What's your budget? They have a used SWR Super Redhead Combo (2x10, 450w) at Bass NW for $899. They sound nice and would make a great first good amp.

4. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Actually switching out the pickups sounds like a good idea but for some reason the p isnt really comfortable to play, like the strings are too tight and it doesnt play or sound like any of the other mim i have played so that is my concern.

Anyways, about the amp, i am getting around 400 bucks to guitar center (relatives dont know anywhere else) and i would craiglist the rumble for maybe 200 bucks so that is my budget

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Do you play in a band yet? How loud are they? That is a good indicator of whether or not you need a new amp.
    If you're unhappy with your bass, try some new things, like new strings, or a good setup. Both can massively effect the way it plays and/or sounds.

6. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    well i just quit my band last week but in the new and that a couple of friends and I started, the guitarist is playing on a hot rod deluxe 2x12 combo which is 40 watts tube and the other guitarist is getting a mrashall half stack soon.We play alternative/classic rock/punk (think White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, pixies). I dont think the people did a good job of setting it up because it made no diffference to me and now the bridge clanks when i play

7. A new amp will not affect the feel of the bass. I think a good setup would go a long way. A P-Bass is a pretty standard feel, if other P's feel fine then yours should be able to as well. After a good setup you could look at pickups. If volume is not your problem I would hold on wrapping $1K or better into an amp/cab.

Edit: However, after looking at your above post you are going to be vastly under-powered against a marshall stack.

8. A good setup is definitely in order, but I have a MIM P bass and I'll never ever get rid of it, it's been through 4 amps and sounded great on all of them.
    If you have GC gift certificates, check out the Gallien Krueger Backline 600, $299, and maybe a GK 4x10. Walk in and tell the sales guy that if he'll give you the pair for $400 you'll buy it on the spot. Always works for me, I've saved a TON of $$ that way.
    If your guitar players are rockin' half stacks you're going to want as much power as possible. Your bass is fine, with a good pro setup that will be the least of your worries.
    C7

9. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    where is a good play to get a bass set up in seattle?

how would you describe the gk's tone copared to ampeg or hartke? Ive played a 3500 through a fender bassman cab and also some hartke combos and i really like the hartke sound.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    GK is closer to Hartke than Ampeg in sound. GK and Hartke lean toward hi-fi (but if you have a clanking problem the Hartke is going to emphasize it more than any of the other brands). Its really a personal prefrence kind of thing, some like hi fi, and others like overdriven, compressed warmness (which Ampeg is known for, although I don't really hear it in their lower priced amps and cabs). For a lower budget, I would look at GK, Avatar, Aguilar S-Series (if there are any left), and Ashdown. I would definately get a new amp before a new bass in your case- you are going to need volume!

11. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    pff i dont think guitar center sells avatar cabs...........yet

12. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    right now i can keep up with the guitar amps but im worried that i wont get a gig and buying a huge amp would be worthless. for the music i play 100 watts cuts through everything else so far but im just worried about gigs and stuff

13. If your guitarist is going to get a Marshall half stack.......you will not be heard at gigs unless they turn down..........I have yet to meet a guitarist that turns down!!!!!!

In a small room your current amp will work fine.........once you get it into a bar or on a stage that is more open you sound will dissipate.

One other question............Do you have a drummer yet? There is a big difference in volume once you have one......you can't really turn them down!!!

14. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    if the string are too tight what you need is to replace them with thinner ones. By the way, it's sort of funny that you would be covering the yeah yeah yeahs (absolutely wonderful band IMO and have yet to release a truly bad track) with a bassist and 2 guitars...

15. It sounds like you have made up your mind and you want to change your bass. I personally would change the amp first, but you do have to be comfortable with what you are playing. I went to the music store today and tried a Peavey Grind bass. For the money I think they are great. Also For the money Yamaha puts out some nice stuff I tried the 414 today as well. I actually prefer the sound of the 414 but liked the neck of the Peavey better. My advice is take your $400 go to GC try some basses through your amp than try your bass trough some new amps see which gets closer to your sound and go with that.

16. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    we don't really cover the yeah yeah yeahs we just play that indie/alternative/punk style or at least incorporate that into our music but yes they are an awsome band and im pissed off that i had to miss the seattle show. Another great band that i like that you should check out if you like them is Clap Your Hands Say- they sound alike with but a bit more mellow, very New York sounding band..................

anyways, yes we do have a drummer and even in a garage where the acoustics (im a cellist so yes i do know what bad acoustics sound like) and i can still keep up with him no problem

i am really into "classic" basses not really a fan of the newer looking stuff. I dont know theres something about a fender/gibson/musicman/rickenbacker etc that i prefer to warwick, ibanez, yamaha, etc.

another thing about the amp is that if I sell now I can prob get more for it then if I wait and with the stack I can upgrade whenever I want.

EDIT Also, if I do get my bass a good set up job, how much of an impact would that make on the sound? What pickups should I buy? Where do you buy pickups lol?

17. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    ampwise, how good is the gk backline in terms of quality? What else could you buy at gc that woul be worthwhile?

18. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    A good setup can make it feel and sound like a brand new bass. Definately get one.

As far as your amp goes...why not buy components and build your own stack. I know you can get an SKB rack, power conditioner and a power amp for a couple hundred bucks at GC. Then I would suggest getting some cash and getting either a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI rackmount or a BBE B-Max (what I've got). You can get either pre-amp at Bass NW for a couple hundred. Then just get an Avatar 4x10 or find a good used cab (like I did). I built my half-stack for under 900 bucks with ease. Makes upgrading easy too.

19. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    i ca n spend like 700 MAX and it has to be gc because i am getting most of my money in gift cards from relatives

20. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    i think they might have an old swr head at gc but ill have to check it out. I heard that swrs are bland sounding?