1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Stingray user?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by birdman14, May 22, 2011.

1. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
    The first person I can think of is Tom Hamilton playing his Honeyburst/Maple Ray at Houston on June 24, 1977. Can anyone think of seeing a person (in a famous band) playing one?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Freebo with Bonnie Raitt.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Louis "Thunder Thumbs" Johnson who worked with Leo Fender on development of the StingRay, and Carl [DEL]Bradley[/DEL] Radle with Eric Clapton who talked about it coming to the market in a Guitar Player Magazine interview, along with the fabulous Freebo.

John

Edited to correct Carl's name. Dang Android "autocorrect"!!!

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Charles "Meekman" Meeks with Chuck Mangione maybe around '78.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Freebo was one of the first.
    Also Carl Radle with Eric Clapton.
    He had a MM Stingray proto-type in 1976. Carl said MM made him give it back, then gave him a production model.

6. From Bass Player - December 2006 Interview of Lonnie Turner (Steve Miller Band)

Is it true you changed basses right before these sessions?

Yes! I had been playing a 1957 Fender Precision—and I loved it to death—but I started to feel like it didn’t really sparkle, like it didn’t have the punch I wanted. So I took it into the shop and found out the pickup windings had gotten pretty thin. The guy offered to replace the pickups, but then he told me, “Wait, a guy here was just at the NAMM show, and he saw a whole new line of basses Leo Fender is getting ready to release through his new company, Music Man.” So I got my hands on one right away, and it was a thing of amazing beauty—except, what’s with the battery? I had no idea. But then I hit a G, and then an F#, and then an F—and you could actually hear the difference!

Unfortunately, this new miracle bass was $600—without a case—and I had never paid that much even for a car. But I decided it was worth it, and I’ve never regretted it. I still own that bass; it’s serial number B002-123, so it’s the second-ever Music Man bass. I used it to cut all of Eagle and Book of Dreams, as well as the first couple of Eddie Money albums.

Lonnie Turner, Gregory Isola

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was re-visiting an '80s Guitar Player mag today. I read a feature on Joel DiBartolo (Tonight Show bassist for eons). Here's a snippet-

"...DiBartolo worked closely with Leo Fender to improve the design of the original Music Man bass...created a crisp, bright sound that has since influenced a generation of bassists".

Just wanted to throw Joel DiBartolo out there...hardly ever mentioned at Talk Bass. He's a monster player.

Love the Lonnie Turner anecdote, too!

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The first time I actually NOTICED the sound of a bass on TV and said "That's a great sound!!" was the first time I heard DiBartolo on the Carson show. StingRay (this was before he got the graphite necked Cutlass) through the HD-130/212RH combination. He's the reason I tried GHS Brite-Flats on my first 'Ray too.

Thanks for the memory jog!

John