1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Tal Wilkenfeld, now this...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RickC, Mar 10, 2008.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I saw the Adrian Belew Power Trio in Natick MA last night. His bassist is 22 year old Julie Slick and she is phenomenal. She plays like the second coming of John Wetton for the new millenium; huge thunderous tone with some nice grind, fluid and melodic playing but with a sledgehammer kick when necessary, very creative but always rock solid and supportive. The drummer in the trio is her brother Eric, only 20 years old himself, and also an incredibly strong and accomplished player. They have no doubt been playing together their whole lives, and the lock that they have is something to behold. A perfect pair.

Oh, and some old guy on guitar rounded out the trio; he wasn't too bad either :)

Julie was using a very nice looking maple necked Lakland Precision (pictured below). Her rig was an SVT-4Pro though a big (8x10?) cab, and for efx I saw a Keeley Compressor and a Korg AX3000B. As I said, she had a nice Wetton/Crimson'ish edge to her tone for much of the night.

The photo is borrowed from a recent thread entry by matrok

JulieSlick.

/rick

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Awesome. I always flip when I see girls/women playing bass, because it's so rare. I'm a big fan of Belew; gotta check out this new trio.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The second coming of John Wetton? I've got to hear her!:eek:

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Any link?

5. RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    I looked for clips on Youtube last night. Unfortunately, most of what's out there:

a) features the more "commercial" tunes in the set; later Crimson covers (e.g., Dinosaur) and early Belew stuff (e.g., Big Electric Cat). The core of the set, where they played the new experimental stuff and where the "Wetton" vibe shines through most, isn't out there

b) the clips are older, and mostly feature a J-bass, which doesn't sound as big as the P-bass grind I heard last night.

Closest/best I could find was this one:

/rick

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    When you compare to Tal I think I've found the secret to this great tone.

Curly Hair

:bag:

this is also Tony Levin's secret but he hid it better :D

7. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston

I thought the same thing.... Like some sort of Samson Shampoo. Or maybe Old Gregg gave her the Funk.

8. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Old Gregg wouldn't give her the funk. He only likes fuzzy little man peaches. And she would have to offer her hand in marriage. And drink Bailey's from a shoe. Creamy salty beige ...

9. The Slicks were students of Paul Green - Paul's school was featured in the documentary "Rock School," and both of the Slicks appear in it.

10. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Awesome drum and bass pair and the old guy on guitar is pretty good too haha. Ill have to keep tabs on this group. If she is the second coming of Wetton I gotta hear more.

11. RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    Gear update; I don't really know my bass efx that well, and from photos I saw today on the web I'm thinking I added an extra zero - Korg AX300B, not a 3000B. doh!

(8(|)

12. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Wow - her brother stole the show in that Youtube clip!!!!

13. i like tal much more but thats still great

14. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I read something somewhere about a live album of the new trio being released. Anyone have any other info?

15. RickC

Jun 9, 2005
    already released, called "Side Four Live", available on Adrian's website. Track listing pretty much looks like the show I saw.

imo, the YouTube clips don't do her justice

/rick

16. imnotscott

imnotscott

Mar 11, 2008
  17. The Animoto Video sounds GREAT! I can totally hear the John Wetton vibe! Excellent!

18. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Any one remember Rose Thomson from Babe the Blue Ox? Awesome bassist. Just killed it. And curly hair. Far right in the picture below. Strangely enough the guitarist for the band sounds like Belew.
    babetheblueox.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Couple Feb and March shows up on Dime a Dozen... checking it out now :)