1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fixed Bow Now A String Is Different

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MetroBass, Apr 25, 2010.

1. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Last night I decided to take some of the bowness out of my T-Bird neck. I was changing a couple of strings and oiling the fret board as well. After I made the adjustment, repalced the strings and tuned the strings all the open strings tune up just fine. However, the A string is now a fret/note off. 1st fret B, 2nd C, 5th E, etc. Is this an intonation problem? If so do you adjust the bridge for longer or shorter strings or is something totally unrelated? The E, D, and G are normal.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Makes no sense at all. Are you tuning the A string to the other strings, or just looking at a tuner to tell you it's A? I've seen too many people who don't know how to tune, and miss the indicator on their tuner that shows sharp or flat. It appears that one plausible and very probable explanation is that your tuner is actually showing the string as "A#" instead of A. Why? Because it's not likely that the intonation would be off by exactly a half-step.

Play the fourth (E) string at the 5th fret. It should sound like the open third (A) string. If it doesn't then move the tuning machine until it does. THEN use the tuner to get it more exact.

John

3. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    duhhhhh - you're right the tuner was set up for #. Ouch! that's pretty stupid.

Thanks John.