Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fixing the input jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raycer, Sep 11, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    The input jack on my new/used Dean 5 is having problems.

I get popping from it thru the amp at times, like the plug isn't tight enough inside it. I did a search on here and read in a old post that sometimes in can be fixed by making the metal clips inside the jack stick out a bit more so they can hold the plug snug. How would I go about doing that with out messing it up too much :)

I know a new jack is cheap but I am horrible at soldering, and money is tight to have someone do it for me,atleast for the next few weeks.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    $10 for a switchcraft jack
    $10 for a shop to install.

If you can't come up with $20...

3. Another trick is to use a stereo jack, these tend to hold up better IMO.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To replace a jack, do you always have to remove pickguard etc to get to the cavity, or do some basses allow you to change it just by unscrewing the jack and putting a new one in?

5. From my experience with them you have to remove the control cavity plate or pickguard so you can remove the wires on the jack to take it out.

6. Or the jack plate, if that is what it is mounted on.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Figured so. I have the same problem in my Godin, the cables a little loose so when it wiggles it makes noise, and ill probably put a new jack in next time i change strings.

8. Are you sure the input jack is tightened all the way so IT doesn't move around? On one of my old basses the input jack would come loose a little and would cause loud noises when the cable moved.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its tightened any way i can, externally, i havent checked inside yet.

10. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Oh, it's only $10 or so for a shop to change it??? I thought it would be more.

11. Depends on the shop...here they would probably charge like $20 cuz their bastards...

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

13. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    sorry I posted it in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where it should go

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's cool, man. No big deal.