1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flakes

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    We had practice on saturday morning. I set an alarm, got up, made breakfast, took a shower, drove 30 minutes. Our drummer had some dumb reason why he couldn’t make it.

Tonight we had practice. I called everyone to make sure we were good. Drove 30 minutes in the rain. Got to practice. Drummer just didn’t show. Of course he is fired but man I hate flakes. My dad taught me as a kid to be upfront with people. How rude is it to make people drive somewhere and stand them up?

rickwebb, droo46, 3Liter and 26 others like this.
  2. It’s rude, ...and stupid. There is a difference between professionals, and losers. You just saw it first-hand.
    Unless there was a very important reason such as a family emergency, nothing should cause him to treat people that way.
    Plus, he just lost his job.

rickwebb, droo46, MCF and 8 others like this.
  3. Imagine that. Drummer flaking out.

Waltsdog, rtav, 4dog and 8 others like this.
  4. Firing the drummer before posting about it is poor form.

CB3UK, rd2rk, 4dog and 41 others like this.
  5. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I played with a cover band a few months back where the singer was one of the worst flakes I've ever encountered. I even started a whole thread here about his poor communication skills contributing to me not even knowing if I was on a gig (or in the band, for that matter). And this was a band signed to a reputable booking agency with high paying gigs.

five7, Spidey2112 and mikewalker like this.
  6. 5StringBlues beat me to it.

Although I always just assumed all the flakes were in California. :)
    Apparently I was wrong, they are everywhere, just like stupidity and hydrogen.

Dirk

OogieWaWa, Spectrum, Low Crow and 6 others like this.
  7. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Am I the only person who gets annoyed when you try to make plans and the other person says, “yeah, that should work.” Just say yes or no. Plans mean something to me. I’m an attorney and I run a business. People in the music scene drive me insane.

droo46, 3Liter, MCF and 15 others like this.
  8. nbsipics

nbsipics Boredom is Dangerous Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Oh oh. An attorney. Gotta run!

Phud, MCF, Alik and 10 others like this.
  9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Posting threads where the drummer deserves to get fired is not what we do here on Talkbass. The humor of the "fire the drummer" meme is that the drummer wasn't the problem.

But yeah, that sucks. At least it didn't persist too long. Enjoy your new drummer.

10. Shalto

Shalto

Aug 23, 2019
    Australia
    It seems to me that maybe...

mikewalker likes this.
  11. Hate 'em too. They don't do no good, and they never be workin' when they oughta should.

12. After seeing that gorgeous sparkly gold Stingray on the front page I was really hoping this thread was going to be about eye-catching paint jobs.

Sorry about your drummer. I suspect an age of instant communication has trained some people to be terrible at planning. On the other hand, some people are just inconsiderate s.o.b.s.

13. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Had one in Amsterdam. Halfway decent singer, when she showed up, too.
    However, some personal drama took over, and it descended rapidly from "Sorry, can't make next rehearsal" to "oh damn, was that tonight?" to just not responding to calls or messages.

A few months later, after the band became shrapnel*, she emailed everybody. Sorry 'bout that, but the personal situation's all fixed now. Can we get together again? Please don't be angry.
    None of us bothered responding, that I'm aware of.

*Had something to do with the bass player becoming unavailable for 3 months. At least I had the decency to tell everybody about it as soon as I knew it was coming up.

mikewalker likes this.
  14. 4stringfarley

4stringfarley Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Cajun Country
    Worst part of playing music is dealing with musicians.

CB3UK, El Spearo, gjohnstone and 15 others like this.
  15. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Agreed. Rude and quite disrespectful of others time. Even if no emergency, regardless of reason, it only takes about a one minute to make a couple courteous calls/text. Heck, I even call if I'm gonna be late to visit a friend just to hang out. I don't get people.

No.... we share our flake-ism with the entire country.:D

Beej, OogieWaWa and mikewalker like this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Are you saying your drummer is a flake? Aren't they usually pretty reliable?

McFarlin likes this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Maybe he bonked his head on a gong like in a cartoon and he's got amnesia. Don't be so quick to judge. I'm sure if you could walk in his shoes (white Converse Chucks) you might gain some empathy for the drummer.

Or check the local hospitals. Have you ever seen a drummer drive? Maybe he was in a crash on the way to practice. Happens all the time with drummers.

18. Nah, you're right, I think they're just starting to move out of state! :eek: ;):laugh:

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior any more. And I've dealt with it a lot to get to that point. Usually because everyone else in the band was willing to put up with it.

Mantis Tobaggan and nbsipics like this.