Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flash Download messages coming up all the time!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bruce Lindfield, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I am getting this message every time I access pages with certain advertisers' messages on them!

[​IMG]

It is very irritating and is slowing TB down considerably for me - anybody else got this?

I can't download and install software updates as my PC has admin rights locked out!

This has only been happening for the last week or so - and I have tracked it to certain adverts that obviously require this

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Is this your pc at work or your own? Ask your admin to update flash for you.

3. Bruce Lindfield

No - they won't do it!

And why doesn't the picture appear in the post?

:confused:

4. Bruce Lindfield

PS - THG Knobs (I think? sp.) is the worst case for this - every time this ad appears it puts up this dialogue box - very irritating - as bad as pop-ups!!

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

After the upgrade. Paul posted a few known bug issues. Little customizations like 'Moderator'
    no longer appear. All programming for that appears to need to be redone.

One issue noted was that the IMG function would not display URL's that contained certain symbols.

& and ? or = may be there, I'd have to go back t that report. He noted he was working on a fix.

I noticed the constant Flashwave update request too, for a day or two, but it now seems to have subsided.

thank god

6. Bruce Lindfield

It seems to have been the worst day today for me - I can't get rid of it. I've tried disabling animations from IE menu - but nothing seems to work!

I wondered if other people were getting this - and why it is intermittent. We seem to have random advertisers and Paul says that 2 are using flash - maybe you are just very lucky and don't get these coming up?

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

It's hard to tell.

I thought I had the 'Download on Demand' functions shut off on my IE. But I still got this.

Perhaps Paul could ask these advertisers to diable this feature in their banners.

Another possibility here is someone else in the office downloaded it, but downloads are an area they - the IT guys - get very uptight about, so I download NOTHING.

I thought the advertisers had changed, and weren't using this
    :confused:
    :meh:

Thor

8. Bruce Lindfield

Same for me!! :meh:

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    It's a tough question - flash is becoming a standard on the web (a dec 2002 survey showed more than 90% of browsers had flash installed) and it is a great tool for revitalizing the sometimes 'tired' 468x60 banner ad. I made the decision to offer flash formatted banners to our advertisers a while ago because they do generate a higher click-through-ratio... Anyone else have issues with flash banners?