1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flatwounds are just not for me

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by forrestlaw, Apr 6, 2020.

1. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    I decided to take my third attempt at putting flats on my P-Bass in February. I had tried GHS Precisions and Rotosound 77s in the past and just couldn't bond with them. This time I tried Chromes and they only lasted about 6 weeks before I went back to Boomers. As much as people rant and rave about the feel of flats I actually like the feel of rounds better, possibly because that's what I'm used to. Anyway, I need to quit spending money trying out different strings... in the end I always end up back at Boomers and EB Slinkys.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You could resell them if they're not mangled or cut too short.

TN WOODMAN, jamro217 and Low84 like this.
  3. dramatwist

dramatwist Suspended

Sep 27, 2019
    ...I'm with you, mate...

4. forrestlaw

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    I plan on it. I put the chromes in the paper sleeves that came with the new boomers and plan on listing them in the classifieds once it's safe to be out and about and going to the post office again.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I agree. I just put some roudwounds on my fretless Birdsong.
    I liked the sound of flatwounds, but it felt so limited.
    I was playing Californication on the flats and its just not the same.
    With roundwounds and the tone rolled off, you can get almost the same tone, plus a whole other spectrum of punchy good brightness.

6. Try EB Cobalt flats before you give up, the sound of rounds!

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The OP doesn't like the feel of flats. He didn't say anything about the sound.

Spectrum likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    No worries, mate. That just means: More Flats For MEEE!!! :hyper::hyper:

9. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Flats always sound uninspiring to me at home, and during social isolation I’m hating my basses with flats. But on stage with a band—Bingo! It has always been so.

Murch and Dbassmon like this.
  10. I think flats have their place but for the styles I play with the band it’s all roundwounds. I think it’s different for everyone depending on the style and the makeup of the band (trio vs having multiple guitar players, keys and horn players and stuff. Flats work well in a dense mix. Rounds in a simpler mix.

Timmy Liam, gebass6 and Element Zero like this.
  11. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

"I will only paint with primary colors", said some painter, somewhere, sometime...
    "I will only write sonnets", said some poet, somewhere, sometime...
    "I will only play fingerstyle, picks are for 'lesser' players", said some bass player, somewhere, sometime...
    "I will only play rounds, flats are for 'old-school' players", said another bass player, somewhere, sometime...

I you choose to only play rounds, good for you! No big deal. You have found YOUR sound!
    Me, I'm a tinkerer at heart. Pick, fingers, thumb, slap, rounds, flats, bring it on!
    Remember, this is NOT a competition. Do what makes you happy!

Diego

P.S. I guess I haven't played any "half-rounds" I like... Neither hot, nor cold...

StargazerMP, Tommyc, JRA and 20 others like this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I still don’t quite “ get” flats, other than being easy on the frets and fingers. It seems like just EQ’ing most of the treble out on rounds = instant flats, but no amount of fuddling will coax that round wound Zing out of flats. My son got a set of flats for his Jay Turser Hofner clone, and they play and sound great on a bass that has a pretty limited tonal palette like that, pretty much thump or thumpier. I must be missing something, but not missing it much. The one that really mystifies me is flats on a Ric, like wrapping a knife blade in cotton and trying to cut rope with it. Why would you spend 2k on a bass legendary for treble bite and then muzzle half it’s range?

13. forrestlaw

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    I do like GHS Presurewounds on my Ric 4003.

14. Charlzm

Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I feel you. I had flats on a fretless for years and never liked the feel or the sound. Currently have half-rounds on a fretless and I like that much better.

gebass6 likes this.
  15. Discount Bassy

Discount Bassy

Mar 9, 2020
    Less posting = more practice.

16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Pressurewounds I Get. Most of the round wound zing, but much easier on the fingers and frets, that’s what I have on my fretless. Flats? Nope.

17. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I put Chromes on my fretless Warwick. For a few days, I thought I liked them, decided I didn't, then tried them on my P bass. Realized what I didn't like was the feel. Don't like the stiffness, either. After trying a ton of strings, my favorites are Dunlop Super Brights and SIT Foundations, both of which are extremely flexible.

I posted a similar thread after my experience. The responses were much like the ones here. Some people love them, some people don't.

WhoIsJOB likes this.
  18. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    I've tried them many times over the last few decades. They aren't for me either.

squarepeg likes this.
  19. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I bought a nice 5-string P-bass that came with a nice set of flats on it, I couldn't take them off fast enough. ;)

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I don’t think anyone is going to be interested in buying someone’s used strings these days....