1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flatwounds or roundwounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrhocson, Apr 13, 2009.

1. whats the diff....i noticed alot are using flats over the roundwounds and i just wanna know what difference it gives?

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  3. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Head on over to the strings forum here and do some reading, lot's of info there.

But I will add, the sound difference is there, and it depends on the sound you want. Flats have made some of my jazz basses incredible beasts, totally tamed the jazz bass clang, and out thump my P bass.

Other flats give me a nice zingy sound without too much clang (chromes) and the half rounds on one jazz give me the clang and crisp tone many associate with a jazz bass.

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've been using Sadowsky flats on my bass for years. Rounds always sounded scooped to me, and these flats give me nice fundamentals while still having depth to the tone. If you want a rounds like tone but smooth feel you might give D'Addario Chromes a shot. If you're looking for a thumpy dead kind of tone then it's GHS Precision flats you're looking for.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Strings = Ice Cream

Flats = Vanilla

Nylon Tapewounds = Chocloate

Rounds = Mocha Fudge Ripple Rocky Road Butter Pecan Cherry Garcia....with sprinkles.

I love vanilla or chocolate, but sometimes I want something a bit different so I keep one bass strung with rounds and the rest have flats or nylon tapes.

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have to disagree...

Rounds =
    [​IMG]

(Sadowsky) Flats =
    [​IMG]

It's all a matter of opinion, though.

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Nah, Flats = Chocolate Fudge :), Rounds = Lemon Sherbet

How can ya compare thump-less rounds to everything and the kitchen sink? :rollno:

You must be one of those round-heads! (I'm proud to be a flat-head.) Although I do prefer nickel rounds on my StingRay.

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Rounds on a Jazz Bass, Flats on a Precision, and either on a Stingray.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I guess you didn't read the last last line of my post. :)

I was using flats when flats couldn't be found in any stores around here and ordering them took forever (this was pre-webstore days).

I once bought the flats off of an old bass hanging in a store. Another time I bought a bass just to get the flats from it and then put an old set of rounds on the bass and sold it (I actually made about $50 bucks on that deal).

10. Jamie Bishop

Jamie Bishop Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Laney Amplication
    It's really a matter of taste as you can see but these replies. I go back and forth with my preference. I always have flats on my p bass, rounds on my jazz, and I switch as feel like it on my Pedulla Rapture (both sound great).

11. They both sound good and have their respective places in a given context.

12. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    For me, slower stuff sounds nicer with flats, and the fast stuff goes well with rounds.

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    But then again, there's anything by Iron Maiden...

14. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Yeah, the slow stuff like Iron Maiden! ;)

Good point... he is really using flats in an odd way, all that clanking isn't a pick but his strings fretting out!!!

Well anyway, ever since I discovered flats, I always had at least one bass with them, definitely some music doesn't sound right without them and I think A LOT of records are cut with basses using flatwounds. A lot more than string sales would have you believe, but of course flatwound strings last for years and years and years... try them OP!
    Actually come to think of it, the last full record I did I used flatwounds too! That would be the first Zombie Surf Camp record, which was pretty low-fi and it just sat in the mix better than the zingy rounds.

15. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I go back and forth, but at the moment I've got Chromes (flats) on both my Bongo 5 and my Alembic Epic 5.

16. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    They're both good, just different. A lot of the flats tones on the Lakland site could probably pass for rounds.

17. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Where is the flatcat/roundcat picture? Always makes me chuckle.

18. 98mtd

98mtd

May 24, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I play both flatwounds and roundwounds. They both offer a different sound and feel. This topic is subjective to each individuals taste.

19. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    Of course tone is the primary factor, but there is another big difference which is string noise, especially on a fretless. I absolutely LOVE the silent slippery feel of my flatwounds and would not go without them.

I also play roundwounds too, if you're doing many genres of music you will probably find a need for both sounds, imo.

Aah to have all the basses I desire...

20. Wow, another question no one's thought to ask before...