1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flatwounds to sound more acoustic

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by flatwoundjohn, Sep 28, 2018.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I use old Chromes on my Longhorn. It gives a very mellow woody tone. As a general rule i find that short scale basses give a mellower tone. Long horn, EB-0

2. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    i do own a hofner lol

3. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    The best mute currently on the market, you can sound like an upright even with round wound strings: NordyMute

Here's what it sounds like with rounds:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Stevorebob likes this.
  4. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    My “fake upright” tone on my fretted electric is achieved by putting the pickups out of phase (you need 2 pickups for this, I installed a phase switch). This gives a snarly blooming tone. I also have a series switch that puts the pickups in series for more output and less harshness, and roll the tone off a little. I use my fingers around or over the neck. It’s an interesting effect, works quite well. I always have that bass strung with DR lo riders btw, and can go from a jazz bass-ish slap tone to an acoustic-ish tone with a couple switches and knob turns.

5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Just ordered one!

MDBass likes this.
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Ha! A violin bass with flats will IME get you as close to the sound of an upright as anything else mentioned in this thread so far. I say use your Hofner when you're going for the upright sound, and keep your P-bass the way you like it for everything else.

flatwoundjohn and Aqualung60 like this.
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If you want an electric bass to sound like an acoustic, turn your amp down so it’s barely audible when playing with other people.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    Consider trying a fretless electric bass. To my ears, flatwounds on fretless rosewood can sound close to steel strung upright, and tapewounds on fretless can sound like an upright strung with gut strings.

9. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    -try playing with the flesh of your thumb, near the neck, downward motion
    -if you play a passive bass, turn down the volume knob halfway (on a jazz bass, both volumes), turn up the amp accordingly. makes a big difference in tone, and sits in the mix like a double bass would.

10. Use the tone knob