1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flatwounds to sound more acoustic

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by flatwoundjohn, Sep 28, 2018.

1. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    so i have flats on my p-bass witch i got setup in June and i really have not played it all due to me phasing out of bass.But i'm back and my strings feel and sound new.I'm going for a good folk/acoustic bass warm tone and I've Tried Foam Mutes And I Due A Lot Of Palm muting.But is there anything else i can do to make them more deep and less bright.I use A GK bass Amp/cab and was wondering If There were some setting i can try or hand techniques?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    What flats are you using ?

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    For one, the strings, if new, will mellow with time. Technique-wise, try playing closer to the neck (I favor in front of the pickup/ashtray on my P) or pluck with your thumb, that will make it sound soft and pillowy, if that's your thing.

4. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    YEP :)

5. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    I'll Try That Out.It's Mostly The D And G String That Sounds Very Metallic And Sharp.The E and A Sound Warm.I Also Have Felt Picks If That Would Help Some.

6. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    "YEP" flats ? Never heard of them !!! :woot:

7. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    LOL It's The Old Breed Of Bass LOL

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

Do you know the brand ?. Some flats are brighter sounding than others.

9. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    Rotosound 77

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you're going for an "acoustic" tone, I think the most obvious recommendation is to abandon the pick and play with your fingers. I'm guessing that nobody has suggested that yet because they just assumed you were already doing this. Sure, felt picks will work better than other picks, but IMO are still no substitute for fingers.

MCF and NathOBX like this.
  11. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    I do both depends on the song

12. Another thing to get more of an upright sound, is raise your action. The high action on an upright forces a certain attack, and a certain left hand technique that produces that sound - it will help a lot on a BG.

ofajen and flatwoundjohn like this.
  13. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Here’s what I do: Use old, gunkified flat wounds. Use a foam mute. Play with fingers. Pluck just over the neck. Fret on the frets, not behind. Ease back on the tone. Use a Beringer Slo Motion Set to swell ever so slightly. Add a little reverb.

I’m sure there are not enough caps in there for you, but you get the idea. ;)

Nickweissmusic and Robertron like this.
  14. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    i'm totally gonna try that steve

Stevorebob likes this.
  15. index.
    You could try these.

SoulReflection and TrevorR like this.
  16. flatwoundjohn

flatwoundjohn

Sep 28, 2018
    Question Will Nylon Tapewound Help More Then Regular Steel Flats

17. Try using the muting technique that Rocco Prestia uses to mute with the left hand. I use it all the time in church and it can be very effective in producing a nice thumpy bass tone. I can literally eliminate all sustain if necessary. There is a tutorial on YouTube by Rocco on how he mutes with the left hand that can help. Even just using part of his technique can be effective. Good luck. :thumbsup:

gebass6 likes this.
  18. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    When I had a GK MB212, I found it was the amp itself that had the bright, growly, metallic tone.

19. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    You can try tapewounds.
    Can also try lowering your pickup height.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  20. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    You can conversely use half of the length of your index finger to pluck or hook the string in a sweeping fashion, whilst using foam at the bridge. Also, play over the end of your neck versus in front of the pup. On your amp, dial down a little the upper mids and the treble if you can, and keep the tone up on your bass. The trick is to let the notes bloom out and you'll get that nice upright thump.