Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea bass neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nathan, Jan 31, 2005.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    I recently bought a Flea bass off of ebay. Overall, it's a great bass, but the neck has a sliiiiigggghht bow in it (I think that's what its called, it curves inward a little.). The serial number on the bass is 970035. Since it's an older model, it doesn't have a truss rod. Is it possilbe to fix it and make it straighter? If not, does anybody have any idea where I can find a replacement neck? I've looked and I think theyre hard to find...

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You may try slightly smaller gague strings. This will reduce tension just a bit, and the neck will most likely go stick straight.

3. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Any suggestions? I dont know much about strings

4. uhh, it should have a very slight bow in it.its really essential to a good set up. modulus necks are made to bend to allow more relief with larger strings i believe. its definately not broke, so why fix it?

5. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    The Problem is that around the first 5 fretts on the E string, theres a fair ammount of string buzz, so any suggestions on how to fix that would be appreciated

6. As long as it's not too drastic, a nice bow in the neck is good, in fact, there SHOULD be a bow in the neck.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You may want to get the bridge saddles raised. That may help. A professional setup may be in order.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    When I first got my Flea 5 I had the same problem. It's got a slight bow in the neck and after tuning it up I had some weird fret buzzes.

If your neck has a slight bow in it then your neck has no problems. Check out the manual. Modulus's builders assume that the neck will always be perfect and that angle of the neck in relation to the body is what needs to be changed. After I found this out it was easy to adjust the neck bolts until it felt fine.

I would agree that a professional setup might be in order. Just make sure you take the manual with you.