1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flexocor deluxe strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mitch911, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mitch911

Mitch911

Dec 29, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I had a set of flexocor deluxe strings on my old bass that I transferred to my new one. I'm loving the g and d strings on it as the higher registers speak very nicely, but I'm feeling that the e and a are extremely tight (more so the a) and I'm not sure if I dig the sound.

will these strings just have to get used to the new bass its on?
    I had a set of pirazzi weichs on the new bass before and I might give the e and a of that set a go again.

Lastly, would anyone have a good suggestion for a deep, growly string for the lower strings? I've been reading a bunch of permanents or passiones seem to be a good way to go so far.

2. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Arco or Pizz?

3. Mitch911

Mitch911

Dec 29, 2015
    Arco. Pretty close to 100%

4. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    One of my favorite sets of strings is: flex deluxe GD with belcanto A and E. really nice arco set. you could also try a Flex 92 A, on my bass ive never been disappointed by it

5. AgostoMortal

AgostoMortal Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Miami, South Florida
    I have both of those strings on my two basses and the sets could not be more different, I use the flexocore exclusively for arco, I can't play pizz (jazz) on that bass after I play the Evah Pirazzi on the other bass. I am missing the clarity and punch (and intonation) of the Evah.

6. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I play about equal amounts of jazz and classical on the one bass, which I've strung with Flexocore Deluxe G and D and Spirocore A and E (Mittel). On my bass, they seem to match pretty well, though, in general, its a little brighter than I'd like. Of course, the Flexes respond much better under the bow, but as the Spiros age, they're fighting me less and less.

Dave Reichle likes this.
  7. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    That seems like a popular combination here at TB.

8. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    This is a combination that always works for me. I have tried this combo made from new sets of Spiros & FDs, but I greatly prefer the same combo composed from older, well-broken in strings.

and the Flex Deluxe strings loosen up a little bit too, after a year or so of consistent playing on them.

9. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Happy with the Flex Deluxe GDA and Spiro Mittel E. I did get some blisters after 13 years of using high quality gut strings, but I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised by that.

10. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Hi folks- reviving a dormant thread to get some input on how the Flex Deluxe set changes after being played. Yesterday, I installed them them to replace a set of EP weichs that were beginning to stiffen up and were becoming duller.

My first impression of the set was similar to the OP- the G and D were responding with good clarity, but the A and E strings took much more effort to start with the bow than the EP weichs, and the clarity was not as good as I had hoped for.

It was suggested that the Flex Deluxe strings take a little time to develop- what are your experiences?

11. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Like most string designs, it’s somewhat bass dependent and also dependent on what you like. Some players, especially arco players like a bit of resistance from the strings. If they’ve only been on for a day, I’d say play on them as much as you can and see what develops with your own bass.

On a former bass, they were a good match for both arco and pizz. On my other bass, the full set was too tight for pizzicato. Ironically, a 2 + 2 set of flex deluxe with either Spiro mittels or weichs on the bottom worked pretty well. The Flex deluxe set does get tighter from high to low. Which means you end up with a Pirastro E that actually isn’t wimpy for a change.

That said, they do loosen up somewhat as they get played in. Even slightly lower string heights help with these strings, too.

Rodger Bryan likes this.
  12. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Well if you don´t need pizzicato sustain and growl try Passione Starks on E and A. Beautiful arco with less effort than Flex dlx.

Selim and Rodger Bryan like this.
  13. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Have you tried this combination? (Flex Deluxe D/G with EP weich A/E)
    are you talking arco, pizzicato or mixed?

14. BassinCT

BassinCT Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    Thank you for the suggestion! I tried that yesterday, and immediately felt at home with arco and pizz on the EP weich A and E. (I do roughly 70% arco) I liked the clarity of Flex G & D under the bow, but was still struggling with the feel/responsiveness when doing pizz.

My upright playing is primarily choral accompanying, jazz, chamber and theater- the only orchestral playing I do is summer pops concerts, so I don't have the same arco performance requirements as many others do. Yesterday I was enjoying the sound of the FD's G &D strings, but my hands were getting tired faster (as I am getting older), so I decided to put the rest of the old EP's back on and put the day-old FD's in the classifieds.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

15. The FDs are stiff, I’ll give you that!

Perlon core strings choke easier than rope core strings in my experience. It would be interesting to push that set and see what happens.

16. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    KFS

Faster bow with less pressure has been my work around on getting max volume out of Perlon strings without the choke
    Louis

Selim and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  17. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    Hoping to revive this one a bit. Just got my American Standard back yesterday, set -up with a removable neck for a tour in two weeks. Don't think the Spiro's are going to dull down in time. Any further rezctions to these?

18. I just put Flexocore Deluxe G and D on a bass with older Spiro Mittel A and E.

Bowing is amazing on the G and D now. Pizz is good too, better than mittel G and D in my opinion.

I want to try the A and E now, but i’m scared it might be too different.

19. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Stick with spiros.

John Chambliss likes this.
  20. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    That's my favorite 2 + 2 set and what's on my bass now.

As far as the whole set of FDs, they have gotten a reputation as being on the stiff side and it's somewhat true, but I've also found that to be somewhat instrument dependent. On my former bass, the whole set worked really well, great tone pizz & arco and a good (not too stiff) feel. On my current bass, the whole set is nice with the bow, but plucking is a bit too much work.

So my complaints about the stiffness is mainly referring to pizz response here. I enjoy bowing the whole set (and have been thinking about returning to it).

in any case, those are my 2 favorite strings and I think one can cover a lot of musical ground with that combination.