1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Florida Music Scene

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sanwin17, Dec 23, 2011.

1. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Looks like I'm going to be moving to the sunshine state shortly. I have no idea where I should be looking. Just want to know where the best live music scenes are. I'm a "well" seasoned pro in classic rock, blues and jazz. I'm not looking to make a lucrative living playing bass just opportunities to join a good band and play a few gigs. I can sing a little too.
    Any (almost) suggestions would be appreciated.

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Florida is a big state. Where are you going?

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    If you are coming to the South Florida area (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade).....good luck! It is slim pickings for gigs here. People just do not seem to be going out and supporting live music these days. I am playing allot less gigs (mainly Blues and R&B) than I did some years back. It is definitely tough breaking into the gig scene as it were if you are new to the area. What I tell people is start hitting all the jams and network with people. That is what I did when I first moved down here from NY.

4. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    Florida had a pretty strong music scene from when I lived there. An old drummer of mine is still doing good getting gigs. I was in bands doing all origional music though. Most of the people doing cover songs were doing the one man band thing.

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I just moved from Tallahassee. There's lots of music there ... and almost no money. Oh, and no production quality, either.

6. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    +1 billion!

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Don't look for much in Jacksonville either.

8. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Probably south eastern FL. It couldn't be much worse than here in New Jersey.

9. Im in a cover band, we got together about seven months ago and have steady gigs lined up already. I knew nothing about the local music scene before I started playing out. In south Fl. there are a handful of bands that are always busy. Good bass players are few and far between down here. You should have no problem finding a fit. Respond to craigslist ads, bandmix, ect....

PM me when you get down here and we'll have a few beers!:bassist:

10. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I live in Central Florida on the East Coast, Melbourne area. Lots of music going on around here. Cover scene is real good, originals not so much. Lots of good bands around here and ok venues. We have 23 gigs on the books for next year and will be adding more. We only want to play 1 gig a week, 3 times a month. We could book alot more if we wanted. I have some friends in other bands that will play Friday nite, Saturday nite, and sunday afternoon. Not for me.

11. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Decent opportunities for all types of music here in central fl I would say. Covers and originals from folk to death metal.

12. ...you said it, brother!

13. uhh Northwest Florida is pretty terrible. South Florida is viewed as a sort of Floridian music Mecca haha
    EDIT: As far as us hicks are concerned.

14. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Yeah, that's funny. I always thought So Florida was the hot spot too. That and Orlando area.

Gonna be up in Crestview next week for my sons wedding, so I guess I shouldn't ask about the club scene up there.

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Uh, why was this posted in the "Basses" forum? :confused:

MM

16. sanwin17

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Any place has to be better than northern NJ. Most bands are fighting over $50 a man gigs.