1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Floyd Rose??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 20, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Im considering getting a Ibanez electric guitar(not bass), and ive got a few questions about floyd rose tremelo stuff

ive read that they only take standard guage strings, and cant do Dropped D. Is this true? Is there a way to bypass this?

also, does floyd rose affect palm muting? since that pushes down on the strings like a bend

advice would be appreciated

2. They don't affect palm muting unless you palm mute so hard you bend the strings on a standard guitar. You can tune 'em any way you like, the only thing is you can't change tunings on the fly, since you have to take the locking nuts off with an allan key to use the tuners at the headstock. They should be able to take any guage strings, although I could be wrong. I don't think there's any such thing as "standard guage" anyway.:meh:
    IME they are a bit of a pain, so I would question whether you really need one- the guitarist in my old band had one, and he had no end of trouble with it. If you do get one, get someone to help you set it up, AND MAKE SURE THEY SHOW YOU HOW. And remember, just cos you have one doesn't mean you have to do big massive dive bombs at every opporunity;)
    Hope that helps
    Kyle

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    You can use any gauge strings and there are locking devices available to prevent going out of tune which affect the feel when you use it but would probably be helpful when detuning.

I think you'd be best off having your guitar always detuned or having two guitars if you plan on switching off.

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It can, but retuning is a spectacular pain with the floyd. There are devices around to make this easier, and they work to varying degrees. If you block the trem "Van Halen style," it makes tuning much easier, but you can't pull up on the trem.

Only if you push the bridge down with your palm. This is true of any floating bridge, and most guitarists adjust quickly.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Floyd Rose tremolos are best avoided unless you plan on using the trem a lot. They are very problematic, I hate the one on my Kramer.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    For players that don't use a tremelo it's best not to have them but as with most equipment choices it all boils down to how you play.
    I have a Floyd on all my guitars with the exception of my acoustics, and find them a necessity for my playing style.