1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flying Underwear?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sorry, but this is one juvenile thread lol...One of the biggest stereotypes (and lets face it, most of us probably don't mind it lol) about bands playing concerts is when ladies undergarments go flying up onto the stage.

Soooooo....anybody have stories, total underwear counts, or any such articles kept that they would like to share with us? :bag:

2. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    Not ladies, but my old drummer got a pair of men's tighty whiteys, complete with a streak. :rollno:

3. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We were playing for a Halloween dance a few years ago at a bar and right in the middle of a song, a pink lace thong came flying in my direction like somebody shot a rubber band. I use a tripod mic stand with a boom and the thong somehow managed to land directly on the boom handle and just dangled there. Everybody in the place was laughing about it. I left them there for the remainder of the set and then wondered if I should touch them since I did not know if they were soiled or not. Anyway, they were clean and I took them back to the woman who flung them at me. She was sitting with her husband and they were laughing very hard about it. She said she bought them new that day and did not wear them but thought it would be funny to shoot them at the band. Too bad she was married because she was pretty. Just my luck to have a good looking woman do that only to end up she was married and not interested in me at all. :crying:

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I played with a guy who had his wife throw a pair on stage at his cd release party. She seemed a little embarrassed by it, as it was pretty clear they were together and it was obviously staged.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'd wager there was a greater concentration of these incidents in the 70's-80's than these days lol. Can't say I've ever experienced this, but I wouldn't say I've played too many big shows.

These are some funny stories! Much more interesting than a brag fest :)

6. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    if at the end of a show there aren't ladies panties on the stage, i take my underwear off and throw it into the crowd.

John Swartz likes this.
  7. Years ago I played a dumpy joint near the local hospital. They had all of these tshirts tacked to the ceiling. The tradition was that the graduating class of nurses would all gather there wearing their grad t's, and by the end of the night several would be available for tacking up... A whole lotta fun on grad night!

8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Staged, yes. Some skinny girls got together and bought some huuuuuge size bras and panties just for throwing-on-stage purposes.

9. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Hm. I once found women's underwear in the "Bridget Jones" style end up on stage, but I have no idea who threw them or when. I am still eyeing some of the female colleagues present with a raised eyebrow.

10. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
  11. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

Mar 28, 2009
    Back in college at UW Oshvegas, the band i was in played out in the quad. I had just started dating the woman who is now my wife. She and her friends came to see us play and launched a bunch of underwear up on the stage at me. but, it wasn't theirs. they went to Goodwill and stocked up on some size 50 tighty whiteys, granny panties, and other unmentionables. still gives me nightmares to this day!

12. kinda. it was a odd thing however. it was a pair of womens undies that had been worn by a gay guy the band knew.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No undergarments on stage, but I would guess that at just about every show we play, boobs come out. Usually it's one or five of the same girls, but trust me, that's not a bad thing. lol

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My old drummer had a collection! There were bras and panties hanging from every conceivable location on his drum rack. There was an incident where he put a still warm pair of panties on his head that still grosses me out! Ewwwwww!

Then there was this cute chick that donated her bra. That was cool, but she was there with her mom, and she decided to throw hers on the pile as well....... That was..... Less cool.....

15. Liam76

Liam76

Dec 28, 2012
    What's funny is everytime somebody like the Rolling Stones goes on tour, the late-night TV guys always crack about the panties now being thrown don't make it to the stage because of their size.

16. ran sound for a freinds blues band. had alot of batchlorette partys show up at some of the venues. some very interesting items would land on stage. lol

17. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Never experienced flying underwear, but this is close as it relates to bras. We were signing autographs and some of the girls didn't have anything to write on so they would get us to write it on their arms. Then one comes up to me, pulls open her shirt and lifts up her bra, and says, "sign here". I did manage to remember how to spell my name. And it started a thing. Now all the girls wanted their breasts autographed. Being the good natured guys we were and wanting to please the audience, we accomodated their requests.

18. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

Musta been pretty tough, Dav. You are clearly a better man than I am to have stuck with it to make the fans happy.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    saw it happen at a Zappa concert once, never happened to me personally that I can recall

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm 61 ... and the youngest in the band. If our fans toss their panties toward the stage it looks like an invasion of the 101st Airborne Division.