1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FMC Bass Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jake bassist, Dec 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FMC is small bass cab manufacturer from Germany. They are made by order only and don't have dealer network. In forums and in reviews everybody praise's them, but scarcely with any deeper description.
    Are there any owners who would give some more info, comparison with other brands and generall sound "Style"..... more HiFi or gritty Rock, something in between. How their small cabs handle Low B ....etc

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    jake bassist likes this.
  3. Thought so but..... never know. That's why I'm asking are there any owners

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    They sell only direct, no dealerships and a loyal following on German language bass forums (? fora ??)
    FMC Mega thread currently on page 386
    search for FMC yealded 110 threads...

Edit: before somebody starts winging about those threads only being in German (seen that before...), Google translate is your friend ;)

5. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    ^ This.

6. I mostly do understand German, but still no info. There are no user reviews, comparisons with other brands.....
    Mostly how good,cool and great they are which really doesn't tells you anything. There are many great bass cab manufacturers and most of them sound very different.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  7. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Never played one, although I had done some research and was close to ordering one a couple of years ago. They do seem good value but I don't think you'll find a general characteristic like you ask for (hifi etc). I think the point is that they make what you want and they have lots of different models, and also take custom orders. They also seem to offer cabs that sound like well known brands, for example "glockenklang-style" or "mesa-style". If you're on a budget and need to buy new, they're probably a good choice. I'd suggest you talk to the owner about what you like...

jake bassist likes this.
  8. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    That is pretty much the same as with builder threads here on Talkbass... :)
    Personnally I have no experience with him and cannot say how well engineered his cabs are.
    One thing I have learned, at the end of the day, you need to try them or any cab out in the intended environment to be reasonably sure for it to meet your expectation.
    That "dancing about architecture" problem with words and sound...

jake bassist likes this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    jake bassist likes this.
  10. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    FMC offers different models, but I would say their general character is responsive, linear cabs with good clarity.
    They implement small innovations that make some of the models quite interesting (see below).
    There is no characteristic bump in the frequency spectrum, or any specific philosophy rg. coloration of tone.
    They use high quality drivers and parts, and workmanship is great.

You can order models from a 610 without horn, with 4 of the speakers in closed chambers (giving a fridge type sound)
    to a 112 with mid/horn extensions for a linear fullrange sound (the Glockenklang type of sound).
    I have a 112 with a downfire port system, that is extremely compact and light, but works with a 5-string bass without
    any issues, at pretty high volume levels. I had GK, Tecamp and EBS 112 cabs before, to compare, but prefer the FMC in terms of size vs. sound.

jake bassist likes this.
  11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Would love to see some details on the downfiring port.

12. @xroads
    Thanks.
    So far ,almost all Neodym 12" I had a chance to try had some harsh,scratchy either mid or high mid. Any of it with 112 ul ?
    Did you have chance to try their 210, because deep down I am 2 x 210 guy, like the quick response and no harshness. They are mostly a bit less linear but in a way thet makes them sound rounder, warmer compared to 12.
    I am thinking of ordering either two 112ul or two 210UL or FE (in each case one with Horn,one without)
    But for the sake of weight and size I hope 112UL is "new ten".
    What did you mean by "prefer the FMC in terms of size vs. sound"? Hope it's not in a sense of trade off, sacrificing sound for size.
    Btw, which EBS 112 model you had?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  13. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    First, I am not a friend of 10s, I only have 12 and 15 speakers.
    The latest FMC neo-cabs do not have the harsh mids any more that older GK or Tecamp
    neo cabs had. If you want, you can order FMC cabs also with conventional drivers.

The 112UL I have has a high performance 600W driver and a horn, and handles lots of power.
    2 of them would be plenty loud to keep up with a rock drummer, but in louder settings, a single
    112UL starts giving up, even if it handles 600W. I guess total speaker area and cab volume
    matter here. The strength of this cab is really that it goes really low and easily handles a 5-string
    sound. Also it is as loud as any larger 112 cab I have played, with low weight and small size.

jake bassist likes this.
  14. @xroads
    Oh, you have HP version. I'm thiinking of getting 2 x UL 300W. But if even 600w HP sometimes needs second cab, I doubt two UL 300w can handle loud setting. Hmmm. Your thoughts?

15. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    What setting do you play in? Loud is a relative term, and I prefer having a 212 not pushed too hard, compared to a 112 working at its limits (speaker area is IMO key for a good bass sound).
    For a normal rock band 2x112 should be enough.

jake bassist likes this.
  16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    As an owner of an FMC cab, I wholly support these statements. I play an older model of theirs from the series formerly known as "Performer", 1x15" with an 1x8" mid driver. Has served me well for the past ten years, and anyone who plays this cab is amazed by the articulate sound.

I can only compare that one with a 4x10" Markbass cab because my search for "my" cab basically ended with the FMC, so I'm not much help. One thing to note though, is that the FMCs have become pricey! Well, relatively. If I were to order the same type of cab again, it would nearly cost me twice as much as it did ten years ago. They're still very affordable compared to name brands.

jake bassist likes this.
  17. Extraordinary cabs you buy directly from the manufacturer. High interaction with the players, very active in forums, takes on ideas, tries things out. Shipping to CONUS will probably be too expensive, but within the EU they are a great deal. The german speaking bass community is heavily equipped with these cabs.

I just bought the 18 inch cab which is really extraordinary. Deep but quick, very clear in the lows.

acXLyz4uYXMuaiITH9jdo3nm1Zjtlu6ACaeiMmUHdMkzxGx4bSPI5SNffMMQF1MLvVLk7YiajcdXNpZKKj=w966-h1288-no.

No0VxyDMoOMfVh1iDsbfgSkRsdg4zaYx8e0NQfxe32BoEt7uewdYk52bnhc5Qe0XNaihcf0kpTdLOQjTFS=w966-h1288-no.

18. I was talking today with Hans (the owner) and after some back and forth he suggested me 210HUL. To try it first and if I'm ok with it, to go with second one without horn.
    It's not about loud setting's as much as it is me wanting a lot of headroom. First, ton is nicer when not pushed , plus dynamic and subtleties in playing come out easier.

xroads likes this.
  19. Beatlove

Beatlove

Oct 10, 2011
    Germany

Hi I M a FMC User for some years. I own 2 12 Cabinettes and there are just great. Perfect manufactoring, nothinf went wrong. Youcan order different Style Cabinets from vintage to modern. Mine is pretty modern. You can also order different looks of the Cabinet.
    So you will get what you order, phantastic cabinets fira lower price.

jake bassist likes this.