1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Focusrite Scarlett Solo - hum when tracking bass using both channels

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by troubleshooter, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Hi

I`m setting up my gear to track bass.
    I use the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 1st Gen...
    When I split my bass signal into the interface ( CH 1 Miked up amp and CH 2 bass direct into and used simultaneously ) I get a high pitch hum. Only when I SPLIT my signal I get the noise. I tried different options for splitting my signal, a line selector and the line out and the DI on my amp. Setting the ground switch of the DI on my amp OFF ( sending it into CH2 instrument input via amp DI ) reduces the noise, but it`s still present enough to be annoying. When using the CH 1 and CH 2 independently or simultaneously without splitting my bass signal ( For example using CH 1 mic for vocals or another amp with a different instrument and an independent signal and Ch 2 for bass ) the noise is gone... It is clear the unit itself, the 2 channels, power supply`s cables and so on used in the recording is functioning correctly.....am I missing something?

Any tips or advice will be appreciated

Regards

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    If you use the line out on your amp with nothing else plugged in do you get any noise?

Also, if you're using the line out on your amp, you should not set the input on the focusrite to "instrument", you should set it to "line".

troubleshooter likes this.
  3. Hi.Yes, thanks. I still get the noise using the line out on the amp. Also the focusrite is set to instrument...BUT I did just manage to find a solution. I split my signal using an old Behringer passive Ultra Di running the cable from the Di box to the Focusrite ( CH2 instrument setting ) using a XLR to jack cable and the DI is set to LIFT not ground.after setting it to lift on my DI the noise was gone. Ch1 is obviously my miked up amp. All the noise is now gone and both signals sound crisp and clear.

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    The focusrite should NOT be set to instrument if you are using the line out on your amp. Set it to instrument only when you plug an instrument (with or without pedals) directly into the focusrite with a 1/4" cable. This won't cause extra noise but it does mean your input is set for the incorrect impedance and your tone won't be as good as it should be. If you're using an XLR cable from a DI box as you've described, the "line / instrument" switch does nothing.

From what you've described (using a DI box, you get no noise), this noise is coming from the line out on your amp. Glad you figured it out and have a clean signal going. Now you can get to the fun part which is making music!!!

troubleshooter likes this.
  5. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!!:thumbsup: The noise was still there when switched to line mode while DI`ing and Lining out via my amp to the unit and the focusrite buzzed receiving a signal via my line select pedal too.I used the Zoom Ms 60 B pedal`s Line select effect... So it seems like it has an issue with my amp and the Line select pedal using the jack input 2nd channel.Like you said at least now I can record without noise:)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    If you were using the zoom 60B as a DI, sending the left to your amp and the right to the focusrite, then the zoom pedal created the noise.

I don't see why you'd need the zoom to split the signal for the bass if you were using the line out on the amp though. Bass plugs into amp. Mic in front of amp plugs into focusrite channel 1. Line out from amp (or out from your DI) plugs into focusrite channel 2. No zoom needed.

FDR Jones and troubleshooter like this.
  7. I first did the split with the zoom`s LS option. Got the noise, got totally rid of the pedal in my line then opted for Line out and DI via amp like you recommended above without the zoom present (back in my cupboard) and still got the noise..so I independently tried 3 different options, 2 which came from the same amp one from a pedal.

8. The DI does the split now and kills the noise with one switch. one signal goes to my amp-miked amp to CH1 and XLR from DI to CH2