1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Focusrite Scarlett vs. Steinberg UR22

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by deepestend, Aug 13, 2019.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Does anyone have experience with both? I'm trying to decide between the two. For practice, light recording, and hooking up to IOS/iPhone.

Seems like they are basically the same in the end, but having trouble cutting through the online noise.

2. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I should also note that I have a $100 birthday gift certificate from amazon that I want to use for this. Will add some to it, obviously, but that kind of informs where I get it.

3. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    They will perform about the same. If you want MIDI ports or think you may want those in the future at some time, get the Steinberg. If it were me I'd get a Focusrite, only because they're a known quantity.

DirtDog likes this.
  4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    The focusrite does seem like more of a known quantity, which is a reason to lean that direction. I don't care about MIDI.

5. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    I remembered that a buddy of mine has one of the mini Scarlett's he uses for live stuff. He's an engineer too and likes it.

6. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Now, I'm leaning a little bit towards just playing ebay till I get the Steinberg for a great price. I just can't tell if the focusrite stuff is being pushed by a super marketing team and that's why I see it everywhere or what.

7. I recently switched from my old MBOX3 to a Focusrite Scarlett . I found the sound quality is great and I am much happier. Granted, the MBOX was on a Windows PC (ProTools) and I now use a new iMAC with Logic Pro X so that could have something to do with the better sound quality.

8. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    What Scarlett did you end up getting?

9. The 6i6 in the link. It has dual headphone jacks which is nice for recording with a friend. I have found I can setup and forget about it too. I have my POD plugged into inputs 3/4 , 1 for Mic, 2 for Direct Instrument, and midi to my roland synth. It made things so simple now. I used to have to unplug this and that to get stuff working.
    Now I can actually work on becoming a better player, songwriter, engineer, human! :D

10. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Well FWIW Focusrite's been making quality/high end mic preamps for a while i.e. the old Red series. I'm sure the Steinberg isn't a slouch, like I said they're probably going to sound identical to the average user.

deepestend likes this.
  11. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    The only real differences between the two seem to be
    —the Steinberg has the option to run off of USB power (not bus power), but can also run on bus power as well.
    —the Scarlett is $30 more
    —the Air option on the 3rd Gen Scarlett

So, probably sound the same, just slightly different options. One has a nicer design and a simpler layout and one can do bus or external power.
    —the Scarlett has a much cleaner design and look (which I like)
    —MIDI on the Steinberg (not going to use anyway)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  12. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2...I highly recommend it.
    Rock on.

deepestend likes this.
  13. I would get the MIDI because you never know in the future. You might decide on an organ or synth pad someday in a recording. Keep your options open ya know.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The Steinberg UR242 (not the UR22) ran me around $130 or so from ProStar or somewhere similar IIRC. But it looks like the list price has gone up subtantially since I bought it. The Steinberg is actually a Yamaha product BTW.

15. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Last calls for any other opinions!

16. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    If you don't need to hook up to phone, Lexicon Lambda or a Lexicon I-O22 or I-Onix 2 channel dealie.

17. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I use a Focusrite 2i4 for recording, because it has 2 channels and input pads.
    The MIDI in/out has proven useful also.

18. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I just went for the Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen. Looking forward to it!

19. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    I have a 1st gen 18i8 which I think is an excellent product. My guitarist friend has a 2i2 2nd gen, which is also an excellent product, but is only powered by the USB port. When he (we) tried using it with his iPad, the iPad complained about the 2i2 taking more power than the tablet could supply on it's USB / lightning port, even with a powered hub connected in the middle as a test, and wouldn't connect to it. My 18i8, which has its own power supply, connected immediately, and the tablet recognized it without a problem.

Food for thought if you are set on using an iPad with this device. On any PC, Windows or Mac, the 2i2 worked immediately.

20. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Got it today but the adapter for the iPhone doesn’t come till Tuesday. Will report back!