1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fodera price question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ono69, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ono69

ono69

Oct 23, 2007
    shanghai, China
    who konws how much does a anthony jackson presentation contrabass cost?like this:http://www.fodera.com/a_jackson.html
    and who has got a fodera ordering price list?thx very very much(i‘ve mailed fodera several times, but he haven't give me any information:crying:)

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Around 10K/3 year, but call them to make sure. They don't reply to emails, ever...

3. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Ouch. For that price, Anthony Jackson had better present the bass himself - and provide a year's worth of private lessons...

4. nah, it's the price to pay to have one. Very rare and very expressive instrument I heard. There's a guy who sold one a couple months ago and anthony jackson himself came and told him to keep it :p.

5. MichaelJordan

MichaelJordan

Dec 31, 2008
    West Texas
    I do hear they are nice basses, and Victor uses one... but im sorry that 6 string design in that link is the worst base design ive ever seen. It blocks access to the top frets via your left thumb. (yea i know who would use their left thumb... ) but breaking out of the box is a good thing right? :)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Maybe a bad base design, but IMHO it is a great bass design. I play a singlecut five string. I have never seen the need to fret notes with my left thumb, although if you want to, that's fine. But I find the upper register access better than most double cutaway designs.

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I've got one with 28 totally accessible frets and I can say that you don't have a clue of what you're talking about...

:D :p :bag:

8. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Those are great Basses, IMO!

Beautiful and Dangerous!

BTW, if you're putting your thumb over the top, a singlecut of any kind is going to be a nightmare! :)

9. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    There's plenty of YouTube videos featuring Richard Bona, Lincoln Goines, Rob Gourlay, Matt Garrisson, Janek Gwizdala, and Anthony himself tearing it up on single-cut Fodera basses. The design doesn't get in the way of fret access or playability at all.

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1. And if you somehow can do that on the 12th fret of a 6 string bass, well... kudos to you. My zon neck is huge there, and i couldn't reach it even if i wanted to.

11. That was me :)

To set the record straight I didn't sell it and now I'm glad I didn't. That AJ post was good advice and then my wife twisted my ear too.

To the poster who questioned the playability, it has the best upper fret access of any bass I've owned. Of course if you hang your thumb over the neck then you might find it personally a problem. But to call this a design flaw because it doesn't conform to your playing style is slightly off the mark and has been noted it doesn't seem to impede AJ when he plays it.

I thought the actual price is more than $10K btw, looking around a Monarch 5 string comes in around $8.5K list. :)

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I might be wrong, but I believe the AJ is $16k+

AJ's are only built to AJ's specs now with titanium bridge, truss rods, etc. You can no longer get a cheaper AJ anymore with more standard Fodera features, if you want to call it that LOL.

13. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You're probably right.

14. DiDi G

DiDi G

Dec 7, 2007
    Melb OZ
    wow!!that not a good news.
    What's your opinion on bridges made of titanium?Tradionally,most of those thing made of either brass or aluminum,and sometimes alloy,but not titanium.as far as I know,a japanese company KTS offer some bridges made of Ti and more and more bass manufacturers begin to set it up on their products recently(MTD,Fodera,etc.).So...what special tone can a titanium-made bridge give to us?:help:
    thanks
    Dean

15. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Do you have a link to the post?

16. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
  17. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Bah, you beat me to it. If you were to order today 16k+ is a correct number.

18. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I played a gig for a group of financial types about 3 years ago. One particular guy was hanging by the band chatting us up,he said that he played bass and a little guitar and he and I talked about music you know small talk. At the end of the night he asked if I taught and got my info and he called about two weeks later. He asked my advice about upgrading his gear and mentioned that he was very interested in Fodera's in general and A AJ model in particular. From our conversation I would say he was a casual hobbyist at best,so I recommended that he look at some other brands and/or models.

Didn't hear from him for awhile but he called me one day and told me he had made a trip to Fodera while in NYC for business (running into Matt Garrison at the shop ) he said he had a chance to play a AJ and realized why I had recommended that he check out something else; It was too much for him and he would have to put time that he didn't have into practice and study.

He also said that he priced one out at 12 G's and that plus the wait was more than he could deal with (although if he had ordered it then he would be getting it now) He asked me a question that I couldn't really give a definite answer to;Are AJ's,High end Ritters ect investment grade instruments? Will their value increase over the next 10-20 yrs? They are IMO works of usable art but could you stick one in a glass case and pay for your kids college?

19. :eek: In a perfect world, musicians wouldn't be starving and everyone would have their own Fodora. :smug:

20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses