1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Food Hacks And Tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StudioStuntz, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. My guess is use more oil on the pizza pan than you are using now so it fries a bit.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You may be right. I hate to add more oil since pizza is unhealthy enough as is without extra oil but it's worth a shot. Maybe I'll preheat my pizza pan too!

3. Olive oil is one of the good oils.

4. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
  5. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Provided one gets the real stuff, and according to the official tasters/inspectors, most consumers don't know what the real 100% stuff tastes like.

A large quantity of the real stuff is cut, some is just 100% fake.

And some of the real goods have been stored improperly and/or are old which compromises the integrity of the product.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Eric Perry likes this.
  6. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    I haven't checked the link to the forum that I provided, but most of what I read is one puts corn meal(IIRC) between the dough and the stone, but that may be just to keep it from sticking to the stone.

7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    1) hold banana by end opposite of stem.
    2016-03-02 18.23.39.
    2) pinch top, peel down.
    images (1).

3) a winner is you.
    9ff964240f099c6fa66c96c3d69e91b1.

StudioStuntz likes this.
  8. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015

Excellent one.

Primates have been doing that since the dawn of time.

It really comes in handy when the top is a little on the green side and hard to peel.

twinjet likes this.
  9. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Bananas ripen slower if kept in the bunch.

If you want single bananas to ripen slower, wrap some aluminum foil around the top stem to cover it and keep the air from the end.

10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I do it regardless. I never worry about the stringy stuff that way.

11. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    9ff964240f099c6fa66c96c3d69e91b1-.

I used to hang around with that same bunch, when I found them more appealing, that is.

12. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Rolling a whole lemon on a hard surface with the palm of your hand makes it easier to squeeze the juice out.

Nuking it for 20-40 seconds supposedly does the same, but I've never tried it.

13. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
  14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  15. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Here's a cool vid on how to cut and serve a pineapple:

TheBear likes this.
  16. I don't remember where I heard this, but it works. When microwaving your food, if you arrange it on your plate in the shape of an "o" with a hole in the middle it will heat much more evenly and without leaving sections of your din-din cold. Works best with stuff like pasta and caserole type dishes, but can be applied to anything really.

Another tip is to "preheat" your microwave by nuking a mug of water for a minute or so before you throw in your bag of popcorn. It sounds weird but it really does substantially reduce the amount of un-popped kernels in the bag when it's done without risking burning your snack.

These are both things I have tested and done many times, and they do indeed work.

SnoMan and StudioStuntz like this.
  17. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    I just read a tip @ a different site on how to get crust on homemade bread that states once the oven gets hot, place a pan of water in the bottom of the oven.

The steam allegedly helps somehow?

Maybe
    it keeps the inside dough moist (by slowing down the cooking!?) so the bottom can cook longer and become crustier?!

IF it in fact works on bread, it may work for pizza too?

Sorry for repeating folks, but you really have to use a pizza stone as metal just won't get hot enough, unless maybe cast iron?

Perhaps I saw a recipe using CI, I'll check and get back.

18. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    So I just read that it takes an hour for a pizza stone to reach 500 degrees.

Lodge makes a cast iron pizza pan that produces a crisp golden crust on par with a pizza stone, yet only takes thirty minutes to do the same, and retains the heat so that four (in this particular test) pizzas in a row were made.

$34.97 @ Amazon

With over 1,000 reviews and 126 answered questions:

www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2V3X/?tag=cioequippilot-20

19. That reminds me of how my dad used to bbq chicken. On the bottom of the barbecues where you put your charcoal (we always used a Weber) place one of those disposable tin foil loaf pans about 1/4 full of water in the center and then arrange your brickettes around it, the barbecue your chicken like normal, keeping the lid on as much as possible. Whenever he did this the resulting chicken was always perfectly tender and juicy as all get out.

StudioStuntz likes this.
  20. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Just read an article from 2010 that noted Rachel Ray, Newman's Own, and Safeway Markets, among a dozen or so others offered fake EVOO.

Possible that they may have got their act together since.

Was a little taken aback by Newman's.