1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Food Hacks And Tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StudioStuntz, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    Very much a classic style of pizza: thin crust with a big puffy edge. I have people tell me often that they "have not had a pie like that since Connecticut/New York/wherever.

No oil needed. High protein flour (bread flour), salt, yeast, and make that dough wet enough that you can handle it but only just.

Mix or knead for a few moments then let sit in the fridge all day or overnight. It'll rise some but don't overdo it. Or you can skip the overnight bit and just let it rise on the counter but once it starts to rise, use it pretty soon.

elgecko likes this.
  2. use shallots

the end.

3. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    True.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  4. bisquick, add cinnamon and some vanilla. use a ceramic non stick pan. as was said before let it sit a good half hour before cooking. definitely dont over mix.

log cabin is best syrup. is best.

StudioStuntz likes this.
  5. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    So some may be getting Fishcesershire Sauce? Thanks for the heads up.

6. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Placing a dent in the middle of a raw hamburger patty will make for a flatter grilled burger.

oh3593-shape-burger-3-x.

7. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Years ago, I used to like Mrs. Butterworths and Log Cabin.
    These days its whatever the restaurant serves!

I've heard the best pure maple syrup is "Grade B", not "Grade A" oddly enough. A is the more common (and least expensive) syrup available.

Never tried the B though as I always forget to look for it when I'm out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I lived in western Massachusetts for a year (many years ago), and there discovered the wonder of "Grade B" maple syrup, which has a much more intense "mapley" flavor than other grades. Here's an article that describes the differences among different grades of maple syrup:

Maple Facts and Fictions | Deep Mountain Maple:

If that's more than you wanted to know, the short answer is that all grades are processed in exactly the same way; the differences among them are mainly dependent on how early vs. late in the season the sap is extracted.

9. My wife just came home with 12 gallons of Maple sap.

One Drop likes this.
  10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    According to the article I linked in the post just above yours, that should make a little less than a quart of maple syrup. Have you made your own syrup from sap before? I've never known anybody who made it at home, but it doesn't sound like a complicated process.

11. I'll need to get busy.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My family did it a few times when I was a kid in CT. Just takes a lot of time, basically.

And yep, Grade B rules for most uses.

13. How actively does it need to be monitored? Could I be doing some setup work while it is going?

14. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I make a "sauce" for meats or fish by frying in a mixture of butter and olive oil (or just butter) mixed and chopped jalapeno, caribe, and sweet peppers. Truly any mix of sweet and hot peppers will do, add chopped garlic and a bit of salt and presto! Instant salvation for boring meat dishes.

This is especially good for re-constituting stuff that's been in the fridge a couple of days. Oh yeah and I will often add in some Tobasco or other hot sauce to top it off, and sometimes lemon or lime juice on the fish.

One more thing, get yourself down to the local Asian market and get one of those big ole scary vegetable cutting knives that look like this: Learn to use it by simply using it often. These things save a lot of prep time, for me anyway.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMvBeNYznopM_92FpHjh363a0FwVGqxaJlg6R1bigeGMD5ZoYJDg.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I don't know if it's been covered--but here's a tip to get the onion smell off your hands after chopping one-run cold water over them without rubbing them--and shake them dry--it works for me.

BboogieXVII likes this.
  16. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Is that carbon or stainless?

17. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    About 95% of the cutting at the restaurant I worked at was done with knives just like that. For more delicate work like de-veining or butterflying shrimp, we used a small paring knife. Even though I have a knife block with a dazzling array of different knives, I mostly use a 5" Santoku for the majority of my cutting at these days.

18. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I use an 8" chefs knife for most of mine.

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I think the only thing I use mine for is cutting melons.

20. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    Here's a great way to get some extra crispy crunch on your hot dogs while at the same time make it easier to hold the onions and relish. Just apply with the grain with up and down spirals , not against it as shown in the video:

elgecko likes this.