1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Foot Pedals and Genz Benz Opinion

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jzangari, Apr 29, 2010.

1. jzangari

jzangari

Mar 18, 2010
    Looking for opinions...

I have a Genz Benz 1200 head that comes with a foot pedal. I also have a volume boost, tuner, octave pedal, and would like to possibly add something else for color. The problem is we are a 2 guitar band with a singer that moves around A LOT.

I am new to this established band and the guitarists have their pedals up front. I have put mine on the floor by my amp out of the way but it feels odd to me. The whole flow thingy is just not there. If I put the pedals at the front with the others, it becomes pedal land and gets really weird on small stages.

Who has faced something like this? Is there a solution? The guys are way cool but I would like to present this and have a solution in mind.

Also for the Genz Benz users, I am used to being loud (former Ampeg user) and I am getting bugged out by the limit lite. Is that something to worry about if it is just blinking on certain notes?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The limit LED just indicates that you are hitting the internal output tube emulation limiter. It's there for informational purposes to let you know where you are relative to the output level of the power amp. There is nothing wrong with it flashing, just like the gain reduction LEDs on a compressor-limiter. If it's on a lot, you are limitinbg quite a bit and you do wantto take that into consideration when choosing the power rating of the speakers you are using.

With any amp, the more limiting that occurs, the higher the average power, which puts additional stress on a speaker that's not rated for the RMS output of the amp. If you power your speakers at greater than their RMS rating, this becomes more important.

3. I gots the same rig(genz for the win!) and I also have a giant 2 foot wide pedal board,the GBE 1200 foot switch,and floor vocals efects pedal.Soo about 4 feet wide of pure pedals in front of me every show.

Truthfully I just stay behind and do all my moshing and moving in beetween my rig and pedal(4-6 feet maybee).Being wireless helps!I can go anywere on rock it!Theres been stages were I put the mic stand on the dance floor (mosh pit!) for more room too.Actaully often.

Prolly didnt help but good luck.

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    There's a couple of ways to go about things, depending on how the band's set up.

The two musicians on the far flanks can tilt their pedalboards so that the stomp switches face more towards the drummer than their amps. Pair this with the centre musician pushing his board as far off to one side as he can, and you leave tons of room for the singer to do his thing.

For the bassist that doesn't mind blending in with the drum kit here and there, setting up your pedals really close to your amp (and the drummer) works great. I prefer hi-hat side, since there's usually less in the way between you and the drummer, then, and you've got on eye on his kick, snare and hats. And remember, you don't have to sit back by your pedals constantly. You DO need to set up by the drummer for it to work, though. If you're off to one of the flanks, you'll probably feel cut off from everyone else.